1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Laptop Alternatives For Series 7 Owners Who Refunded Their S7s

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Jan 19, 2012.

1. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    Guess most of us are in the market for a new replacement.
    i7 Quad + GT550M or above
    or i7 Quad + HD6750M or above

Hard to find. Any suggestions?

2. jbrian420

jbrian420 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Lenovo y470 has a quad i7 gt550 I think and costs allot less.

However it only has a 720 screen and it's a little bigger in size.

But it also supports msata.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3. sean.e

sean.e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. outl@w

outl@w Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    gt 550 in y470 is not 'real' gt550, read about it.
    Theres no computer like chronos right now. Maybe macbook pro...

We have to wait for next genration of laptops. Really i have 1200 USD and i CAN'T but nothing, cus theres a units with very hard problems, like red/orange sony se/envy, glossy screen like dell xps, ugly ones, like dell xps... Poor screen quaility, chronos... Of course im not from USA so workstations are more expensive than here...

5. bensmith0212

bensmith0212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ^I agree, it is kind of a bad time to buy a laptop since it will be considered outdated in only a few months. Unless you really need one, I would probably hold off on buying one.

6. alexyfoot

alexyfoot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    XPS 15z is the only thing that comes to mind but they are a bit pricier than the Chronos I believe. Y570 has a fake 555M so skip it. Maybe some Clevo build?

Actually, I think XPS 15Z use 525M only...shame. Maybe the 17 incher if you are willing to go for a bigger build?

ASUS N55? Can't think of anything else with Nvidia in the price range. AMD switchable as you know best is terrible so stay away for the moment :)

7. BlakeRoss

BlakeRoss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. alexyfoot

Reputations:
    And you need 16 GB RAM for? Are you designing cruiseships or something?

9. BlakeRoss

BlakeRoss Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I always have a minimum of 50 windows open on my desktop, sometimes including high resolution photoshop images and several excel files with 1 million lines of data each. I can never have enough RAM.

10. alexyfoot

Reputations:
    lol, you are an exception I guess, most people can barely fill 4 GB, let alone 8 GB...16 is for special cases like you :) I can't see it as a huge advantage for the average person that would be interested in these sort of cosumer laptops...

11. StuartH

StuartH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Envy 15 isn't an alternative in the UK as its inexplicitly not available!

The problem with the XPS 15z is that its so large, much larger than the Chronos and almost as large as a 16.4 inch Vaio.

12. jasbur

jasbur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for Aesthetics - I know the envy is high quality materials, but I think the light color gives it a cheaper look. I much prefer the darker color of the Samsung or previous model Envy. I hate laptop shopping time, I never find one that's "perfect."

13. Naphtali14

Naphtali14 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I can easily fill 16 gigs using only adobe applications.

14. Luterin

Luterin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That felt like a very biased comparison, but even thou she praised the HP I still would not want to have the Envy 15 over my S7. I'm sticking with what I got and I'm happy with it.

15. yknyong1

Reputations:
    How was the comparison biased? It would be good if you could point that out to us.

16. Luterin

Luterin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just look thru the review once more, and listen to how she talks about the HP compared to how she talks about the S7. She even changes things up about the S7 during the review. Like with the keyboard, first it was one of the best keyboards on any notebook, then a minute later it was just a "good" one.

And she brings up alot of useless things and pushes for the HP. Like the volume button on the side. Really, it's such a big deal?

Just listen to what kinda words she uses when she describes things about the HP compared to when she describes the S7.

On a sidenote, there was some things I reacted to when it came to her description about more technical things, but I guess she is more of a user than someone who really understands the tech inside a PC.

17. sean.e

sean.e Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, she was tripped up by Speed Boot. She noted fast startup time and then lamented that widgets didn't appear until well after startup (which is a function of Speed Boot). It doesn't help that samsung has features named ExpressCache, Fast Start and Speed Boot that are all quite different from each other...

18. yknyong1

Reputations:
    What you say is true.

I didn't view the YT video just now, and now it seems that she missed out certain important flaws for the ENVY 15 - Glossy display which cannot display the primary colour of red and any colour that needs red - the owners are complaining and doing a similar petition we did in the HP forums. This means that her review is inaccurate since she mentioned accurate colour reproduction for the E15. She does not seem to understand the functions of ExpressCache and speed boot and hence she mixed them up.

I also noted that she likes to downplay important issues in one review, and yet in another, she emphasises heavily and claims it may be a deal-breaker.

The inability to produce red on the screen is one factor that causes me to sit on the fence when considering the E15. Now if HP would fix this I would buy the E15 in a heartbeat.

19. alexyfoot

Reputations:
    I know you can, anybody can think of a way to do it - but how many potential buyers would do it an at least a weekly basis? 5%? 8% tops.

On the Display side - since when is 1920x1080 better than 1600x900 on a 15 inch laptop?? I'd prefer 1600x900 anyday, as it is build for the 15 inch size. 1920x1080 is for 17inchers and above, as on a 15 inch display some things are really small. And then there is a matte vs glossy, which is in favor of the Chronos...however, if the vertical angles of the HP really are better that is a serious plus. Overall, the only real advantage for HP is that they fixed their BIOS, for some it is going to be worth the extra 20% in price, for others it won't be. It depends on what you are going to use it for.

Volume control - my RF has dedicated buttons for volume - I use them once a month (the mute button specifically), the FN+arrows I use 20 times a day - the HP button is nothing for me personally, the positioning of the keyboard volume control is much more convenient for me.

20. reserves

reserves Newbie

Reputations:
    Close some windows? :rolleyes: