lap desk and in bed gaming solutions for heavy machines ?

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Kamzan, Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackjackCZ

BlackjackCZ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the same one as brother Fox. Works great on my lap sitting on the couch or in bed. The 18 just fits for me, i have to put my Tactx mouse to the side. The one recommended by Saint Satan looks good as well...may have to give it a try.

2. Kamzan

Kamzan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So i been searching for some time now for a comfortable laptop desk bed holder so i can use the heavy machine in bed and not stop the blood flow to my legs...
    was wondering if anyone else found nice solutions for gaming in bed with heavy machines ? :)

thanks

3. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm also highly interested in a remedy for this. I usually have to sit it down toward the end of the bed far away while using a wireless kb/mouse in order to not roast my jimmies. I wish I had a super tall hospital bed tray on wheels I could use.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Splintah

Splintah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Table next to the bed and turning my head is my solution

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
  5. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    When I use my M18X-R2 in bed, on the couch or at poolside, I use a large enough, wooden "breakfast in bed" tray with legs (the legs are really handy compared to solutions without, as one doesn't get all the heat onto one's legs and lap) that I bought at some store for cheap many years ago and have a CoolerMaster NotePal U3 Laptop Cooler on it for a more comfortable typing angle. I use a SpeedPad mouse pad (which is made of hard plastic and evens out any bumps from the bed, blanket, towel, couch, etc.) next to me to complement the tray.
    [​IMG]

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
    Glzmo, steviejones133, Rafix and 3 others like this.
  7. Farson

Farson Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    BeanCo - Home

I like that . . . handles the 18, a mouse and my Razer Orbweaver . . .

8. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My problem is most of them aren't tall enough. We have a pretty tall bed (I actually have to somewhat jump just to get in it) and the tallest I've seen is only 47 inches. Not gonna work that well.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Wow, that's a really tall bed. You could get the tallest one available and have a welding shop or auto body shop mod it a little bit to make it the right height if you don't own the tools to do it. That should not cost a great deal of money... a piece of steel or aluminum box tubing of the correct dimensions an maybe an hour of labor to weld and grind down the seam. You could rattle-can spray paint it so it looked nice after that is done.

I don't use my beast in bed very often. When I do, I use this setup... same as what I use in my family room recliner (my gaming chair, LOL). My rigid mouse pad fits on the broad arm of my recliner and is in the perfect position for kicked-back gaming. In bed, the hard mouse pad can sit at my side. When just web surfing, the lap desk has enough space for the mouse with the laptop off to the side and it is still very comfortable to use. (I use maxed out mouse speed and very high DPI so I don't need to mouse my mouse more than an inch or two in any direction. If you like a slow moving cursor, it might not be enough surface, but it works perfect with the settings cranked way up.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pan0phobik likes this.
  10. sponge_gto

sponge_gto Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox and steviejones133 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.