L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Valentin_N

dont worry.

I uploaded the required tools for you ;)

BIOS_TOOLS.rar

I made some instructions, however I suposed your bios is phoenix based, else this will not work for your RC730 SO4 laptop

you will need to extract the tools, and download the latest bios update from the laptop site (we will work/mod that version)

probably the bios update will be an exe, so you will need to get the bios file. (usually a .wph, .rom .bin or .bios)

I managed to get L502X bios using this method

http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/632899-modding-l502x-bios-project.html

after you get the bios file, open PhoenixTool.exe, and then, open the bios file with phoenix tool.

a folder named DUMP will be created.

now you will need to locate a 64 kb file (nvidia vbios)

short files by size will help, you also will need a hex editor to open the files and check its content

you can download hxd

Downloads | mh-nexus

example of a 540m vbios opened with hxd

[​IMG]

you can see interesting info, like version, board name .. etc

you may find more than 1 nvidia vbios file, like in l502x case, the bios have several vbioses for different hardware configurations, like gt525m or gt540m

you will need the one from your card.

the board name for gt540m is "board - 1079df40"

and

the board name for gt525m is "Board - 1079df50"

you can see that text on the previus image

if you didnt found any 64kb file, you may need to open again with phenix tool one of the expanded files inside the DUMP folder, sometimes its needed, in L502X it was a little hard since it needed a second unpack so it took longer to mod per each mod.

(I needed to expand and repack twice)

here you can see the l502x bios structure as an example

[​IMG]

well, after you got the propper nvidia vbios,open nbitor (included at the tools package) and open the file with it.

now go to to fermi voltages and modify what you need

example:

[​IMG]

save the file, and now you will need to repack

example of a L501X repack procedure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

click on yes, and you will get the new bios file

it will be *filename*_SLIC.WPH

you can rename it like modded_bios_0.95v.wph or whatever you want if you want to clasify the bioses

the flashing procedure is the usual.

I warn about every bios estructure is different, so the procedure may be a little different on your bios, I also dont get resposable about any bricks caused by wrong modding/flashing of the bios.

2. SemperEgor

SemperEgor Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed the A11 0.83, 0.85 BIOS for GT540m and it did everything I hoped it would do (so far, have it for about an hour now :p). I installed it because I was getting GPU temps that were way to high and I hoped tot OC to improve fps in games I plan on playing.

I had these values for furmark (few minutes of the burn in test, till i got a semi-stable max temp)

Before the modded BIOS:

stock speed
    88°C
    750/950
    92°C
    800/1000
    up to 96°C :eek:

After modded BIOS:

stock speed
    78°C
    750/950
    81°C
    800/1000
    85°C

Still not the most jaw dropping low temps, but a vast improvement and actualy useable in gaming temp wise.

Well the performance in games will be the big test (will the 0.85 volt be enough to supply the card under long continueous loads?).

Thanks capitankasar!

3. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @SemperEgor

thanks for the detailed temps before/after :)

as I can see you lowered like 10º the whole GPU ^^

added to the first post :)

yeah, the 0.85v should be enough to power the card on stock speeds and medium, high OC, but it might be a little unstable on very high OC

I think it will be fine at least on 750 for the 540m, but testing it on games is the only way to be sure ^^

4. sweetnsour

sweetnsour Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey capitankasar! Just read the last 67 pages and wow, nice job with the BIOS :) I just have a few questions though:

1. If I flash one of the modded BIOS now, and then upgrade to windows 8 in a few months, will there be any issues? (will windows 8 have another BIOS that overwrites this modded one or is the BIOS untouched?) Sorry if these questions sound stupid.
    2. Or instead, can I flash one of these modded BIOS after I upgrade to windows 8?
    3. I was just taking a look at this post. I originally came here just to change the voltage, but those clocks caught my eye. What does each do, and what are the ideal settings/range?
    4. As you said in the first post, undervolting reduces power consumption and allows for a more stable OC. Does overclocking increase power consumption at all or does it still use the same amount of power as stock while increasing performance? Not sure if this is a stupid question or not (probably is), but I was always the impression that overclocking increases power consumption.

Really appreciate your time! Sorry about all the questions, I never modded a computer before (only a smartphone, so I have some idea about how OC works).

And just a question for anyone who can answer, how well do you think NBA 2K12 will run with an i5, 6GB ram, 7200 rpm HDD? :eek:

5. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You forgot to mention your GPU model! (525 or 540M?)

Either one, it should run fine on medium-high, if not high.

I would suggest you keep memory frequency at less than 950MHz, since it has little effect on performance and will produce more heat for little fps gain.

Nice OC's btw and your 10C lower temps are consistent from others and myself :)

6. sweetnsour

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick reply :) It's 525m

7. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @sweetnsour

hey

1 - I never installed windows 8, or any win8 beta, however I supose it will work fine, sine the changes on the bios are minimal and will probably never known it was modded ^^
    2 - I supose the isnt important.
    3 - core clock and shader clock are linked, this mean they both will go up or down when you drag one of them.
    this is the main target to OC the card, the highest stable value you can reach without gaming crashes or artifacts, the better :)
    the memory clock have almnost no effect at the fps, and raising it make it more unstable, it also generate more heat like matrix5 said.
    I suggest leave memory clock as it is, and focus at the core, and if you want to OC the memory, do it after get the max stable core speed ^^

4 - well not sure of that,I supose the power consumition will be similar and may need less power with lower mhz speeds.

relating the voltage, the lower voltage the coolest temps, anyway insufficient voltages may result into problems OCING the card so much since it may not have enough voltage, however I suggest to start with the undervolted voltages, most people preffer those, higher voltages just bring a lot of heat to the card, however if you are interested into very high OC, give it a try after ^^

about the game, you can give a try to this page:

NBA 2k12 System Requirements and NBA 2k12 requirements for PC Games

just put the specs and if it meet the recomended specs it will be fine :)

edit: i completed the form with my specs and it said you can run the game with high settings.

I added the 550m instead the 525m because I have its clocks and performance at the moment ^^

if you OC your gt525m over 740m mhz core speed you will have 550m performance or better :)

8. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Power consumption will increase when you overclock. The difference is that frequency makes less difference to power consumption than voltage. From what I remember, power consumption is proportional to the voltage squared, but is directly proportional to the frequency (there is a catch, in that higher frequencies often require higher voltages).

As for the overclocking stability, usually it is the other way round, where you get more headroom from higher voltage. The only thing that's different in this case is that the heat from the higher voltage made things crash, so it was a no-go. If the cooling system could handle things properly then you would have more headroom from higher voltage like normal.

9. sweetnsour

Reputations:
    @capitankasar and funky monk, thanks for the info.

Pretty much the difference between the 525 and the 540 is the clock speed?

And will overclocking the gpu shorten its life? I know that it should already be able to clock up to a certain point, but my understanding is that the gpu clocks at different speeds depending on the task. The point is, will keeping it at a higher speed shorten its life? The reason I'm asking is because I'm probably going to have this laptop for at least 5-6 years.

Thanks for helping a noob out :)

To anyone who can answer this, is it true that Directx9 games crash at a lower OC than Directx11 games? That's what I've concluded from the previous pages but I would like to have it confirmed. Thanks!

10. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @sweetnsour

mmm, the difference between the 525 and the 540 is like 75 mhz I think

525m is 600 mhz
    and 540m is 675 mhz I think

yeah, overclocking can reduce the system life, since like any other machine, you are using it more by overclocking it.

it is like a car, if you push it, it will last less than you leave it at the garage or just give a short play sometimes ^^

anyway I think overclock is worth of it since computers usually last very long time.

and I supose you will get another computer in 5-6 years.

so as for the moment, it would be nice to get the max performance avalible from your current machine. (keeping allways some cautions with the temperature voltage, and stuff like that ^^)

so my advice is go for it ;)
    a little OC will not ruin your computer and you will get some extra FPS, wich will be greatly apreciated on games ^^

I also will keep this laptop some years, for that reason I want to get the max from it ;)

and yes, for some reason, DX9 games seems more sensitive to OC than DX11 games.

why? I dont have any idea, ^^

but it is a fact they do :D

for that reason, I like msi afterburner, I made two overclock profoles

one is stable for dx11 games, and the other one is stable for dx9 games ^^