L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    then it looks like we both are running the same modded bios and gpu clocks, It seemed stable for me too, and with the undervolt my card didnt went over 80º yet.

2. nomygod

nomygod Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The last time my video card broke 80 was when I did the ultimate heat test:
    furmark on max settings
    turbo boost turned on (usually turned off)
    prime95 running on max heat generation

3. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have been flashing manually with WinFlash, this probably explains the errors.

An update on the undervolted GT 540M:

A large number of people report problems with the GT 540M crashing/freezing during most if not all games (permanently), I have this problem with AoEIII (crashes within under a minute of play - have to hold in the power button to restart). Undervolting appears to be a workaround (so far) as the game will now hang for a few seconds, and then continue without problem. I should probably request a motherboard replacement, but there isn't a guarantee of a fix.

I still need to do testing (*cough* gaming *cough*) to make sure it isn't some coincidence. (I am on holidays!)

Need more people to try the under/overvolted GT 540M BIOS!

Thanks

4. NeoMesal

Reputations:
    That was the undervolted version :) I have also tested the overvolted BIOS version.

As the voltages only change the Nvidia GPU, there sadly isn't a drop in temperatures whilst non-gaming (this relies on the Intel Graphics) and hence fan speed. Depending on the game, you might see a drop in fan speed, but probably unlikely (if only!!)

5. capitankasar

Reputations:
    edit: srry for this double post but my firefox became mad.
    so this useless post can be deleted

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @nomygod

I have to run that test too, before I was talking about ingame temps, like crisis,assasins creed brotherhood..

what was the max temp did you reached with that ultimate test?

@Matix5

yep, I found the similar issues while flashing manually, thats why I made the batch file, I also included a readme.txt file asking to open it :D

as for those crashes/freezing, I experienced them , but only while I was testing unstable overclocks, never happened with the stock 525m clocks.

(since the 540m just seems a little OCed 525m) maybe the stock clocks of the 540m are not stable for everyone? (in that case DELL made a terrible and cheap election)
    I also saw some ppl asking on forums that downclocking the 540m to the 525m clocks (600 mhz core) was a fix for the issue.
    (a very cheap one in my opinion, since you paid more for something suposed to work better, not just for a bad OCed card ..., definitly the DELL guys are the nuts, lol)

also, I'm curius about undervolting semi-fixed it for you.

shouldn't be the oposite?
    I mean, higher voltages should make it to run more stable I think.
    thats why it sounds a little weird for me lower voltages improved it for you.

EDIT: oh, just forgot,again thank you a lot for testing the 540m modded bioses.
    I will give u rep points ^_^

7. NeoMesal

Reputations:
    The readme? you mean the 'don't read me'! lol

Apparently the GT 540M has some type of power issue, I can play fine without the power cable plugged in, but usage is limited to the battery.

I am also surprised that undervolting appears to half fix the freezing for this particular game. Played for almost 2hrs no problem. (Famous last words). Temps are much cooler and I can still overclock to a respectable 800/1000. (Not as fun as the burning 860/1015 ish :)

Worked out how to rep lol, +1 for your hard work. Thanks! :)

8. capitankasar

Reputations:
    thx ^_^
    hehe, yep, its named "DONT READ ME.txt", I noticed ppl usually do reverse stuff, so thats why I did xD

oh, yeah, I also noticed about the battery thing at the forums, I have to test higher GPU clocks on battery mode, would be funny that it run stable at higher clocks only in battery mode, lol :D

oh, and nice clocks for a undervolted card ;)

9. jkbuha

jkbuha Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    +1 rep added :)

Happy new year to all!

10. Jubeltrubel

Jubeltrubel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just two ideas i might add here:

1)Higher Voltages can make Cards become more unstable because of more heat dissipation and therefore more leakage in the transistors. That causes a higher chance for structure and function hazards which results in failures.
    BUT in most cases you´re right, higher Voltages(within a range) makes clocks more stable.
    For Example of this, just look at Sandy Bridge Desktop extreme overclocking. They are just fine within 0~30° anything below will make them less overclocking friendly (i.e ASUS X79 Rampage IV Extreme Socket 2011 Motherboard Review - Page 15)

2) You should share you´re fan speeds and temperatures, because they are depending on each other. The optional 9 cell or 6 cell battery could also play a role here ;)

*keep reading* ;)

MFG Jubeltrubel