L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @sevenofnine

yep, you are right

2D voltage: 0.83v
    3D voltage: 0.98v

are default value for the 540m

I did the 0.83v - 0.85v you requested, more info at the first post for download, keep in mind I cant test the 540m modded bios with by myself since I have a 525m, so flash it at your own risk.

also if your card become unstable while game, it means 0.85v is very low voltage for the 540 speeds.

however this should reduce the temps while gamming :3

feedback apreciated/needed from this bios!!!

@MPIXAPP

yep, you are right

2D profile are for idle or low graphic consumition apps
    3D profile are for games/high graphic demanding games.

@all

happy new year guys :)

2. nomygod

nomygod Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I used the undervolted (0.83-0.85) on a gt 525m OC'd to 540 speeds. No problem, just played around 2 hours of TF2.

3. daryld1988

daryld1988 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi i see you say to just click on the flash the modded bios.bat i was just wondering can i click this from running windows 7 or do i have to run this from something safer like command prompt but no windows 7 loaded

4. daryld1988

Reputations:
    jus to let yous know i worked it out and the bios flash went great used 2 get a buzzing sound after a while on games like skyrim after using clocks over the 800 mark but i can now use over 800 wif this and the problem has gone thanks for your work everyone involved

5. Jubeltrubel

Jubeltrubel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would say that the 2D Clock ist almost irrelevant, unless you are using the hdmi output or using the 2D Clocks for playing Videos. Otherwise my experience is: Gaming->3D Profile, Idle-> Intel Gpu.
    Good Job (as i have mentioned before ;)) but can you please provide some checksums? Like .sfv or .md5? (Using Programs like quicksfv). I wait with flashing when it will be possible to reduce the cpu voltage =) Which will reduce the fan and heat problem quite i bit during normale using (surfing, mail, music).

MFG Jubeltrubel

6. daryld1988

Reputations:
    hi capitankasar jus wanted 2 say great job and also if u need me to do any testing even if it is risky id be willing to test the 1.0v on are gt525m cards so if u feel u want to do that give me a message on this n id be happy to test out any future bioses keep up the gd work

7. capitankasar

Reputations:
    I asumed you flashed the gt525m 0.83v - 0.85v , and then you OCd the card with software.

thanks a lot for the feedback ^_^

the flashing process is quite simple, download the rar file, extract it, under windows run the bat file.
    the bat file will call winflash, afterclicking ok sometimes, the system will reboot, the screen will turned off for some seconds, and then the flashing app will start flashing, its important to NOT interrupt the process under any cirscustance.

glad the bios mods helped you.
    thanks for the feedback

what card version did u used? 540m or 525m, and what voltages?

thanks for the comment.

as for the checksums, I already were adding them at the first post, the checksum of the rar file is under the download.

as for the cpu voltage, I dont have the knowledge to do it and I dont know if that is posible using modded bioses.

I recomend you give a try "ThrottleStop" software, I use it a lot for the cpu, it allow keep max power on battery mode, but it also allow to reduce the cpu multiplier, wich result on lower clocks, also noticed the cpu voltage decrease with lower mhz.

I think that is what you need :)

thank you for those kindly words :)

well, as for the moment I just know how to modify the voltages mentionated at the first post, and I noticed the 1.0V is not avalible at the 525m card highest voltage suported is 0.98v (just the 540m allow 1V as far I know) , maybe it is posible to overvolt it with more in deeph HEX hacking at the vbios, but I'm not sure about how to do it.

if I find something I will let you know

did someone tested the gt540m 0.83v - 0.85v version?
    I want to remove that ugly and scaring red text from it xDD

8. daryld1988

Reputations:
    yes my card is the gt525 i have ur 0.98v bios installed with my clock speed set to 802 my shader is 1601 and my memory is 915 with these settings before i got an annoying buzzing sound loop crash whilst playing games like skyrim and need for speed the run but since the bios voltage change its alot more stable and that crash hasnt happened since thats what makes me keen to see if there would be a 1.0v change as i feel there is plenty more potential in my card yet as my temperatures dont go over 77

9. capitankasar

Reputations:
    ah, ok
    nice clocks you are running dary, specially if you got such low temps.
    sadly my 525m card dont want to go over the 540m clock speeds even with higher voltage..., it did before with stock voltage, but idk, it just seemed to say goodbye to the OC good times :(
    for the moment running 670/1340/915 stable with the 0.85v mod
    I will ask at the bios mod forums if is posible to volt mod the 525m up to 1V , like the 540m, will be difficult to know if it us really running at 1V cause the driver is the one who report the voltage to the OS as far I know

10. nomygod

nomygod Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Theoretically it should be fine, since the GT 525m and GT 540m run on the same chip
    source:
    Code:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-540M.41715.0.html

The overvolted bios shows a few points temp rise in furmark. I am going to play around with the overvolt and see what I can see. If gaming temps are still acceptable I'll probably stay with the overvolt. Hopefully your momentum doesn't stop. Excellent work!