L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. um02122

um02122 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My L502X runs a Intel Core i7 2960XM now instead of the initial i7-2670QM.
    I have used some premium thermal grease to compensate for the increase in TDP (55W instead of 45W).

2. Chebeke

Chebeke Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I have such a problem I can not enter the BIOS settings menu p
    Here is how it was:
    I got the idea to put a poppy axis on my laptop. Everything was fine Yosemite was installed, but I got stuck on a reboot, whatever I tried when starting without a flash drive, it says that "the operating system was not found" well, I think, okay, no luck ... But then I read that you can put a BIOS mod with unlocked menus, with the ability to enable the UEFI Booth function. Found a mod Attached file L502X_A12_540m_83_85_Unlocked_Menus_v6.rar
    I turned on the ufi boot, reinstalled the poppy axis and everything worked, then I wondered what else was unlocked there, I press F2 in the upper left corner, "_" blinks a couple of times and the black screen farther and farther. The F12 menu comes in without problems, the diagnostics starts and says that everything is in order. when choosing a setup from the F12 menu, the result is the same. I restored Windows, tried the following activities:

1) Reset BIOS with a battery (the reset happened because it swears at a dead battery, although I turned it off);
    2) Startup without a hard disk (the reset occurred because it swears at a dead battery, although I turned it off);
    3) Return the Official BIOS A12. I downloaded it from the off site, installed it.
    4) Roll back to A06.
    5) Put back A12))

Windows boots without problems, black screen only when entering BIOS settings
    What else can be done I do not know, searches on the Internet have not led to any results.
    Are there any options? maybe someone had this?

Dell XPS l502x.
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Motherboard*
    Dell inc. 0NJT03 version A00
    Video card *
    intel (r) hd graphics 3000 + nvidia geforce gtx 540m

3. um02122

Reputations:
    Maybe you've got fast boot enabled preventing you to access the bios.
    I think Win10 allows you to change some bios settings from within the os.
    I'm sorry I'm unable to help you more, but I've encountered something similar in my Toshiba Qosmio X70-A, which was sorted fast with the Toshiba utility allowing BIOS changes from Win10.

Maybe try this advice from Reddit:

How to disable fast boot?
    1. open control panel.
    2. open power options.
    3. click "choose what the power buttons do" on the left bar.
    4. Click the link "Change settings that are currently unavailable" at the top.
    5. un-check "Turn on fast startup"
    6. click save changes.

4. Chebeke

Chebeke Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice, I also tried it and unfortunately did not help (

5. ragecage42

ragecage42 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    recently bought a i7-2820QM to replace the i5-2540M in my l502x.

I'm running into some trouble that someone may also had in the past or that anyone may have some info about.
    After replacing the CPU Windows 10 20H2 randomly BSODs with a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. This also happens when using a fresh Windows 10 installation.
    If i can open the task manager before the system crashes, the reported cpu frequency is bogus. It bounces around values of 200000 GHz and more. Also the reported utilization is stuck at 100%. All this while the CPU itself is clocking normally (between 800MHz idle and its maximum boost clock).
    Looking into the dumps created the system always crashes on the call PpmPerfSelectProcessorState which sounds like it has something to do with putting the cpu in different power or c states(?).

Looking at HWinfo i seem to have 'scored' an engineering sample of the CPU.
    [​IMG]

So far i have flashed the modified A12 bios from this thread and updated the ME firmware. No luck with a stable system so far.

So i guess my question is: Has anyone any idea about what might be my problem? Can an engineering sample CPU be that broken?

Thanks

6. um02122

Reputations:
    I've refurbished an XPS L502X with an Core i5-2540M @ 2.60GHz (4 cores), nVidia GeForce GT 540M.
    The BIOS was already A12 stock.

It seems this model has a lock preventing flashing same or inferior BIOS version.

This is the first Dell XPS L502x/ L702X I've encountered this issue with.

Any advice?

20210224_200733.jpg

20210223_214329.jpg

carcrab likes this.
  7. carcrab

carcrab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If anyone still using this device, can you please try MS office 2019 and run MS Excel 2019 and let me know why it crash and if it can be fixed

8. carcrab

carcrab Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: