L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there @narvod . I'm seriously not ok with using Intel HD 3000. I do play games as much as I do code. Just looking at Blur, Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2, and Borderlands 2 on my desktop and Games folder makes me sad. I'm currently busy with a project else I would probably get ready to reflow right now.

As for the Network install, I think I'll try that now. Thanks very much. Never thought of that.

2. narvod

narvod Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @Andromadus , in the end, did you trie the gpu reflow? If it's the case, could you provide information on how you did that and, most of all, how it went ? (I might go that road one day too, so every comment or tip is interesting)

And did the Ubuntu network install work for you ?
    I hope everything is fine and you can still enjoy your XPS :)

3. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there @narvod . The Ubuntu install went fine without a hitch. However, I wasn't able to do the GPU Reflow since my fans died, around a week after the Ubuntu install. I've not been using it ever since. Its hard to get the original fan over here.

4. nkef

nkef Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, very interesting project.
    I own two L502x with i7-2670QM and one with NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M and one with NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M.

I would like to ask if an updated BIOS modded bios will get released with latest microcode for the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities when it will hopefully be available for Sandy bridge processes, since DELL probably has decided to abandon XPS L502X. It is not in the list of products that will get a BIOS update.
    http://www.dell.com/support/article...cve-2017-5754-impact-on-dell-products?lang=en

The sandy bridge microcode update Intel® Core™ i7-2xxx-S/K/M/QM/LE/UE/QE Processor with CPUID 206A7 is for the moment at Pre-Beta stage according to latest Intel report

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/02/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

5. Leandro Scott Jacques

Leandro Scott Jacques Newbie

Reputations:
    I successfuly installed the modded bios using a Windows 10 PE made by gandalf. It was a 4GB download, but worked like a charm. I was in the same situation as you, ubuntu installed and no windows to dual boot, everything is working fine, except Fn + F2 to enable/disable wifi, it's freezing the computer. Now it has support for UEFI boot, I reinstalled all my sistem in GPT partition table and it's working fine too. @Thiblizz made a very good work, hope to see more updates coming soon!

6. Dontrix

Dontrix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, first of all thanks for your precious guides and suggestions. Like most people I had many problems with my L502X, till I found the way to mitigate them by underclocking 540M with MSI Afterburner, by putting CPU Max power to 99% and by disassemblying, cleaning and repasting.
    Now I decided to follow capitankasar and Marcos D2 guides. It went all good but I don't understand this: I flashed "L502X_A12_540m_83_85_Unlocked_Menus_v6" bios so it means my gpu should go at 0.83v with 2D and 0.85v with 3D applications.
    2D is ok I see 0.83v in GPU-Z \ HWInfo, but when I play games I see most of time 1.00v and rarely 0.85, why?

7. Dontrix

Dontrix Newbie

Reputations:
    I did more tests, with 3D (in-game) gpu-z shows always 1.00v. Result during gameplay gpu crashed and forced me to restart pc. I can see 0.85v only if I minimize game to icon. Wasn't modded bios (mentioned in the post above) supposed to set 540m at 0.85v with 3D application?

@capitankasar
    @Marcos D2

8. Dontrix

Dontrix Newbie

Reputations:
    I also tested this "L502X_A12_540m_83_83_Unlocked_Menus_v6" out of curiosity.
    Same result, it doesn't seem to change 540m voltage, I can see 0.83v (2D) and 1.00v (3D), that are default 540m settings, right?
    What can I do to change gpu voltage?

9. Dexter1983

Dexter1983 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How can i modify the bios WPH file to upgrade the microcodes to the latest?
    I've got the microcode.dat but i can't merge it into the bios.WPH, how can i do?

10. MorLipf

MorLipf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations: