]]>

L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay no problem bro. Please do test and post your feedback. Thanks... :)

2. abhizok

abhizok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    It's nice to see that this laptop is still getting the love it deserves.
    I was wondering if anybody knows what happened to capitankasar, he was last active in 2015.
    According to one post his notebook died, but is anyone still in contact with him ?
    Thanks

3. pbhenry3

pbhenry3 Company Representative

Reputations:
    I have read over some of this thread and have flashed one of the provided mod bios that provide 1.0v for the one with gt540m. As I am only familiar with kepler gen and newer, I am wondering if it is possible to unlock the max core clock limitations on this, it is capped at 875mhz in oc tools such as msi afterburner. I also see the vbios is embedded in system bios, I know dell currently implements RSA signature authentication in their bios from about 2015 up, I'm guessing this older one for the l502x has no such protections to dance around? So I should be able to just extract vbios from main system bios, mod it, cerify checksum, inject it back verify checksum, and flash it?
    If someone already has a version at 1.0v gt540m and allows for higher oc than 875mhz core, can you please direct me to it? Appreciate it thanks.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. chrismt

chrismt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know how to stop the ghost clicking on the touch screen when OS is Windows 10?

Thanks

5. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What do you mean by ghost clicking? Like random clicks?

6. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there @Thiblizz . Hope you're good. Are you working on a new update for our BIOS that could permanently resolve the freezing issue? And also, how's the progress on CoreBoot?
    Thanks. Wishing you the best....

7. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there, guys. Bad news for me... A week ago my GPU started showing artifacts, slowing down gameplay at around 3 ~ 5 FPS and causing BSODs in Windows 10. So this are the steps I tried:
    > Uninstall current GPU driver with DDU and do a fresh install with both the latest Nvidia drivers and the stable version I tend to use (344.75) --- (didn't work) :(.
    > Installed fresh copies of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Installed the latest Intel HD drivers and Nvidia Graphic drivers --- (didn't work) :(.
    > Reduced the Nvidia GPU Core and Memory Clocks down to 250Mhz and 300 Mhz respectively --- (didn't work: black screen, freeze or BSOD) :(.

I'm pretty sure the GPU's dead. Currently I'm using Intel HD Graphics: still usable for my programming but no games. Except for COD: MW2 (IW4x mod) which seems playable online with Intel HD 3000. I've done some googling and I'm tempted to try the GPU reflow but I don't want to damage my motherboard. I've no money for a replacement laptop for now. :(

Any ideas? Or advices? Or a potential fix? Thanks in advance.

8. narvod

narvod Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

I don't want to sound dramatic but except the GPU reflow, I don't know what you can try if you don't want to solely rely on the Intel HD graphics :/
    If you try the GPU reflow though, could you tell us how it went ? (My GPU seems to be dead as well, or at least has some issues. I still have options I want to try before I try the GPU reflow thing, but as a last resort solution, I would consider to give it a try)

I haven't installed the modded BIOS yet because I only have Linux installed (Ubuntu 16.04), has anyone successfully flashed the BIOS without having Windows installed ? I think I read somewhere that it didn't work with a Freedos bootable USB stick, do you know alternatives ?

And I'm very curious about the coreboot project, having it running on our device sounds really exciting ! Any news about that ? :) If the project is not abandoned, just to have an ides, do you think the first release would be available like in months or more like in years, or is it really impossible to tell at this stage ?

Have a nice day :D

9. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Good day @narvod . Well, I guess I'll have to try the reflow. That seems to be my last resort. I've been trying to install Ubuntu 16.04 / 17.10over my current Windows 10 setup but my PC freezes on Ubuntu Setup initialization. The logs points to a read/write failure on nouveau display device (Nvidia 540m). And I can't disable the 540m from the modded bios (searched, no luck).

As for installing the modded BIOS via Ubuntu, I've no idea... I think according to @Thiblizz modded BIOS Readme, it fails on a DOS-based bootable disk. However, you could try creating a Windows To Go USB disk. Boot to that, download the BIOS https://github.com/Thiblizz/l502x-modded-bios, then run the flashing utility. It should work (in theory).

As for the coreboot project, @Thiblizz working on it. No updates yet from him though.

Later...

10. narvod

narvod Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi again @Andromadus

Well, if you don't really want to reflow and are ok with only using the Intel graphic chip, you still could try the Ubuntu Network installer, if you haven't already tried.
    It could be interesting in your case since you don't install Ubuntu through a graphical interface, as it's the case with the live cd. So you should be able to install Ubuntu and then to boot in recovery mode via GRUB (if the nouveau drivers fails again), so that you could try to install the nvidia driver with nvidia-prime instead in command line like this (you need an internet connection obviously) :
    Code:
    sudo apt install nvidia-384 nvidia-settings nvidia-prime
    and then
    Code:
    sudo prime-select intel
    To tell Ubuntu to use the intel graphic chip instead of the nvidia one. You then should (hopefully) be able to reboot Ubuntu, without using your Nvidia card.
    Code:
    systemctl reboot
    To get the Network installer, just get it from this page, https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads , select the version of Ubuntu you want to install (currently 16.04LTS or 17.10).
    (If you've chosen the 16.04 version you could then chose what kind of kernel to install. Just in case you don't know the difference, the HWE version is a kernel that will get hardware update over time, but with potential stability issues). Select amd64, then download the "mini.iso" (for instance this one for 16.04 GAKernel) file, which is only 59mo. Make it a bootale CD or USB then just install Ubuntu like you would have done with a live cd, except it should work ;).
    (Another great thing about this installer is that you can do a full-disk encryption that will apparently not provide you from hibernating as it does with a simple /home encrytpion)
    I have no idea how much familiar you are with linux, but if you need more details about how to install ubuntu this way : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKfb5k5neA

Hope this helps you a bit :D

Andromadus likes this.