L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi @lblacksmith . Yeah... The BIOS should show once connected to the DisplayPort. However, HDMI doesn't work from system startup due to the BIOS loading the Nvidia GPU (HDMI is wired to NVIDIA) later after boot instructions...

2. 2green

2green Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been reading the first few pages and last few pages in this thread and seem to understand that this custom bios update is pretty good and stable. Look almost to good to be true.

The problem I'm trying to solve is getting my parents their laptop to boot an OS from a USB flashdrive that isn't Fat32 (to test ChromeOS using the CloudReady binairies). From what I've read this problem is solved with this bios version.

Ofcourse I noticed the other options that will benefit them, ofcourse those are welcome as well.

My question is, which download shoud I use for this laptop? The binairies in the first post aren't updated since december 2015, should I download those using the instruction on that first post?

P.s.
    I have a Dell xps L502X, 4GB, nvidia GT 525M
    (currently with a 120gb hardisk which i'll replace for them with a ssd if this works out).

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I took this project over since a few months now, get my modded BIOS on GitHub (link in my signature).

4. sn0b

sn0b Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I read around a here but could not really find an answer to my problem.
    I'd need to physically disconnect the internal LCD display (540m) and have every video signal only going out via the DisplayPort.
    I managed to get the bios to be shown on both displays (installed the recommended a12 from here) and could even disable the internal display from there.

but every time I do I get 8 beeps and the system won*t boot.

Any hints on that?

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  5. Ledd12

Ledd12 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've installed your modded bios and it seems work perfectly. Thank you very much, il love your work and i love my L502X :D

Andromadus likes this.
  6. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Glad it worked out fine for you. If it won't be a bother, could you please outline your PC state before and after the installation of @Thiblizz BIOS mod?

7. Ledd12

Ledd12 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've updated my bios because the original was poor of settings such as UEFI option. In the future I'll try to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, doing dual boot with macOS sierra and adding ssd samsung 850 pro. At the moment I can describe only a little more speed on start up, despite I've used the undervolted version. If you want know about other things, you can ask me anything. :D

8. Lysergic

Lysergic Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you very much Capitan Kasar!

Installed your modded BIOS for GT525m and everything goes nicely.

But for my pain, my problem of game crashes and freezing still occurs.

You did a really nice job with the mod!

9. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there @Lysergic . Hope everything's good. Good to here the modded BIOS works for you however I'm not clear on which version you installed: is it the original CapitanKasar's mod or Thiblizz's? If you haven't tried Thiblizz mod, I suggest you do...

Also about the game crashes and freezing issues, there's actually no "true" fix for this. I still have the crashes on my PC too. A temporary fix would be to underclock your GPU core clock speed from the default 600MHz to around 575/550/525 MHz till its stable. With my GPU underclocked, I've drastically reduced the game crashes on my PC.

You could post here for any additional help/advice... Later...

Lysergic likes this.
  10. Lysergic

Lysergic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Andromadus,

I've installed this version on the first post by Capitan Kasar:

"Custom voltage moded A12 bios mod for gt525m with advanced menus for L502X DOWNLOAD from mediafire /// MIRROR by ximinez
    MD5 checksum: 8EBCC5A47E4877EAEA8B31C4D078BEE8
    mod version: version 6
    BIOS version used: A12
    this bios mod has been tested by kasar
    2D PROFILE: 0.85v
    3D PROFILE: 0.85v
    notes: Voltage modded A12 BIOS for gt525m with a nice set of extra options,plus native speedstep and updated CPU microcode,intel vbios update to v2137, sleep FIX for OSX,computrace unlock ,serial tag changer and RAID, handle the new options carefully!Recomended for GT525M users!"

I'm aware about the possibility of no fix at all, but I heard some people saying that they had fixed it with lower voltages, so it gave me a little hope. =]

Thank you very much for you attention and willingness to help me. I'm gonna try the underclock with the parameters that you gave and if it's the case, try another modded BIOS too.

I will report my results here.