L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dedos

dedos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Andromadus Unfortunately lowering the clock is not a good solution at the beginning will work ,crashes will come back and will always have to lower the clock even more over time

2. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know that, @dedos. We've got no permanent solution to this issue except getting a new motherboard replacement (which will soon have the same problem)... Are you using @Thiblizz BIOS?

3. dedos

dedos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Andromadus Yes I use last custom bios undervolted @Thiblizz

My laptop has 16 gigas ram, 2 hd sdd (hd caddy) with 3 operating systems in uefi mod ..... windows 10 pro, linux mint 18.1, mac os x yosemite 10.10.5 (hackintosh retail) and everything works well less games Heavy

4. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, thats some serious config, @dedos ... 2 SSDs??? Well, I'm using a 320Gb 7200RPM HDD with 6 Gb RAM :(. I'm pretty sure I can't judge the speed difference of our systems... Anyways, here are my current confgs:

BIOS:
    ====
    > Fast Strings: ON
    > Hyper-Threading: OFF
    > Dynamic FSB Switching: OFF (seems to reduce my temps by 5C)

===
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise
    > Power Plan: Custom (Max Processor State: 98%)

NVIDIA:
    ======
    GPU: 540M
    > Core Clocks: 522MHz
    > Memory Clocks: 700MHz

Thats what I'm running with...

5. uberdonut

uberdonut Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings Thiblizz,

thank you for all your effort and choosing to keep updating the modded bios.

i've read the first few pages and every post since july 2015 (when windows 10 came out to see how it works with that OS)

i'm just a simple peasant who wants the fan to run at a steady volume because the changes in sound are driving me crazy. :p
    I do not game on my laptop, i only use Adobe programs (photo and video editing) for my school work.

i have opened up my laptop before and repasted it. ill do it again one of these days. i have not yet installed the heatsinks.
    about the heatsinks: could you tell me the dimensions of the needed heatsinks?
    i'll remove the dustcap next time ill open it up.

i have the l502x with:
    gt540m
    i7-2630QM
    16gb 1600mhz
    Original adapter 130w
    SSD evo 850

Which Bios do you recommend me using? As i do not (really) game, i do not care for overclocking. I only want less heat and less fan noise.
    Since i installed the ssd, my laptop starts up really quickly, so i also dont really care for even quicker start up but if that isnt to complicated it is always welcome. (It doesnt look all to complicated, the way Captain explaines it in the first Post --> ''advanced settings'' but maybe it is?)

i understand that narrowed it down to one BIOS? if use that one, which settings do you recommend?

i came across the post from Marcos D2:
    ''I "developed" this simple program (.BAT) to manage Dell XPS 502 Fan:''

Do you recommend me using this program or is it possible to ruin internals when used incorrectly?

i hope you are willing to help me out and i hope i explained my self well enough for you to help me out.

Thank you in advance

And thanks to everybody else who has put effort in this project

6. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, @uberdonut. How're you doing? I might have a solution to your fan problem. You could download the Dell Fan Control developed by @timewalker75a . Here is a link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4c5ajhFGw2eclBPVkVvN1BlZEE ... I've set it up to run at startup by creating a shortcut from the executable and placing in my Windows StartUp folder: C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. You can set it to Automatic to regulate the fan based on your current PC workload or you can select which profile suits you... Goodluck...

Also, about your Samsung EVO 850 SSD @uberdonut , where can I get a good price for it and also is there any extra hardware setup to use it? Thanks in advance...

7. uberdonut

uberdonut Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings Andromadus,

Thank you for your reply.
    I feel ashamed that i targeted my question only to Thiblizz instead of to you all...

I appreciate you answering my question.

Ill try the software you provided this evening! I'm glad i dont have to install modded bioses and what not :p i was hoping for that. The speedfan software didnt work on my laptop.

Does the software work in a similar way as the one of Marcos D2? Are you able to choose the rpm? And are you able to see the cpu/gpu temps?

About the evo 850:

In the Netherlands the cheapest i found on comparison websites is around 100€ for the 250gb (the one i got) https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/422395/samsung-850-evo-250gb.html

I definitly recommend getting at least that one because you run out of space quite fast. Windows 10 itself is already more dan 30gb. You could also always choose for the hdd caddy in the optical drive but when i got used to the silence of the SSD i couldnt stand the spinning of the HDD anymore

Finally i just wanted to say: i'm still very happy with this laptop! Its a beast if you take good care of it! I have it for 6 years now and its still way faster than all the ultrabooks and other nonsense people are getting now. i dont mind the "little" extra weight, im a grown up man, i can handle that ;P

Edit: oh and you dont need any extra software! I got it when windows 10 came out and did a clean install on it

Edit2: oh you asked about any extra HARDware setup xD again no, if fits in the same place as the original HDD

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  8. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply @uberdonut . You can monitor the RPM and Temps from a tooltip notification when you hover over the icon in your taskbar.

And why don't you want to use the modded BIOS? No risk so far (except for bad flash/power outage while flashing). Its stable, and has customization settings (like Fast Strings) to tweak performance.

About the SSD, I'll consider getting one then because I need some speed... However, my depreciated GPU is still whats bugging me. Freezing a lot...

Yeah. The laptop is still super powerful, just the GPU thats kind of outdated now...

9. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Hey, nice to see people still around, I am sorry to answering you back, I was not at home, and just finished up the full reassembly of my L502X as of right now.

Since I started to work on the BIOS, I was literally using it with every parts aroud my desk.

I did order and used 3 motherboard for my work, and with my final "build", I am not using the modded copper heatsinks on the voltage regulators, I feel like it is not worth it, and I do not like to have something permanent that I could not remove forever in case something goes wrong...
    Why? Well that took me so many hours to get it perfectly sized.
    Cutting + lapping, so boring and my hands was so ****ed up and dirty (cause I did lap the pieces up to 3000 grit, cause wanted to get the best thermal adherence).
    All of this to finally not using it... xD

[​IMG]

So here is a old picture when I did it.

Here is what I bought: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/20-Stuck-VGA...444911?hash=item1c391029ef:g:V3MAAMXQfvlSh3EB

Then I cutted them one by one with a hacksaw lol, really boring and it end up with a side really scratched, that's why I lapped them.

So once I cutted all of the pieces, I did lap (from 600 grit to 3000 grit) until they look like a mirror, and finally, I did fix all of the pieces with Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (as the default glue pad is terrible for thermal transfer, and then usually move inside the laptop thus can be really bad and cause permanent damage inside or shorting anything).

So to clarify, you will need a total of 8 pieces to cover all regulators, if you have the board with the GT 540M.
    Then yeah removing the dust and cleaning around is generally a great ideas for every Desktops/Laptops, moreover summer is coming...

Using my modded BIOS, and chose the undervolted one. (Stock one is using the default Dell's voltage)
    It will gives you less heat -> lower temps -> ending up with less fan noise and better stability.
    I should precise that changing the thermal paste is still the best thing to do, I mean a really good one.
    e.g.: Gelid GC-Extreme, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, etc.

Cleaning up the fan do a lot too, I actually replaced mine with a brand new, because a 7 years old fan is not that good tho xD.

I did not use it, and I have far better solutions/workarounds as I am on Linux.

Hope that will help you, I will edit later, as I am a bit in a rush :).

Actually my L502X is far better than just brand new, I changed absolutely every single part, the only thing I did not change is the LCD panel, apart that everything is brand new/genuine from Dell.

My config:
    Including:
    I have reprogrammed my BIOS chip externally using my BIOS-FREEDOM-V2 dump, then I flashed over my latest modded BIOS (Undervolted).

And now I am working on the coreboot port.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2017
  10. lblacksmith

lblacksmith Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone! So I have been reading almost everything about this post and I have a few questions. I know BIOS can't be displayed on a external monitor connected to the HDMI port due to drivers, so I believe that a modded BIOS also can't do that. Am I right? Yes, the display panel of my L502x is broken (literally), but I managed the laptop working on a HDMI external display. It works fine. I saw a post reply from @capitankasar a while back in which he said that the miniDP is wired directly into the HD3000 card. If I connect a display to this port, could I see the BIOS ? I would like to flash a modded bios, but I'm not risking it for now since I can't see the boot up sequence. I don't want to buy the display panel, because my gpu is also having problems (well problems almost everywhere, but it still works).

Thanks! Have a nice day.