L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. MorLipf

MorLipf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Intel VBios 2171 is the same as in Thiblizz's BIOS. You can get a collection of Intel VBios' at win-raid.com.
    Capitankasar's beta v7 was linked in this thread some pages before. It was a work in progress version which was never finished because capitankasars notebook broke.
    Therefore I recommend to stick with Thiblizz's BIOS.

Edit: I checked the nVidia BIOS myself. The one inserted in Thiblizz's Mod is exactly the same file capitankasar added to his BIOS. Strange that the monitoring tools are showing 1V at load instead of 0.85V.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  2. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Okay. I've an issue. After installing this month's Windows 8.1 update, I've been getting frequent crashes while gaming at under clocked speeds of 522Mhz/900Mhz which was stable before this. I'm currently using @Thiblizz BIOS. I want to ask which is the most stable windows for the Dell XPS L502x. Windows 8.1 or Windows 10? Also, I have a friend that uses the same PC as mine and he's using Windows 10 and the same modded BIOS. The crashes are very minimal, less than mine before I did the update. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...

3. mardd25

mardd25 Newbie

Reputations:
    I flashed the latest v6 mod version to my l502x gt540m
    unfortunately it keep freezing in LOL in win10

could you please post bios with underclock values 522 for clock and Memory clock 700 ?
    i dont want to use any software tools for underclocking

is there any chance to brick laptop because of underclocking ?

4. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nope. Not a chance... You could download Nvidia System Tools 6.08, install, then activate Performance in your Nvidia Control Panel... Then try to underclock by setting the appropriate fields, then click Apply. Also after exiting the Nvidia Control app, a prompt comes up asking you to set at boot. Select Yes...

Sent from my ara using Tapatalk

5. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any feedback on the above?

6. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    I have never had any problems with both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

But I really recommend you to stay on Windows 10, as now it should be really stable as it just got the Creators Update.

7. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    By the way, I repushed my modified BIOS, with latest compilation and rechecked everything.
    I tagged it as v1.0.0 and I won't make any more modification.

However the project will remain active forever, and now it's time to work on serious things.

I'll work on a coreboot port, this will be pretty awesome and will be the first Dell laptop ported on it.
    As a reminder, coreboot is an Open Source project aimed at replacing the proprietary BIOS.

That would means, a BIOS constantly updated and open source, I'm so excited.

And I'm fixing and recompiling ACPI tables, to fix some problems and fix a lot of warnings as well as be compliant with the latest ACPI Standards.

Ledd12 and Andromadus like this.
  8. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Nice. I've heard of coreboot but bringing it to the Dell XPS L502x should be great. I noticed an extra folder in the BIOS package called freedom and it seems to include the BIOS dump of an unlocked descriptor... How do I get this to work? Thanks once again @Thiblizz...

9. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OK then... I'll try the Creators Update soon and post my feedback here... Also @Thiblizz, are you able to run GPU-intensive tasks at the GT540m stock clocks without crashes?

10. orions

orions Newbie

Reputations:
    hi guys. could you help me, my laptop is working, but l can't get to change my BIOS,
    if I turn on my laptop press F2 and want to get it, then l see black screen and then do nothing
    I think it's maybe broken NVRAM. I don't know what I can doing that. how could fix it. please help me