L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just tried the stock bios... Didn't solve the issue of freezing on stock clock speeds. Will test further though...

2. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    If you have a heat gun, you could try reflow soldering the GPU chip, generally that provides good result.

I know this is kind of extrem, but still good to try tho.

3. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Did you try this? What are the improvements (in percentage)? Also, how do I do this?

4. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
  5. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well, I guess I wont try it then. However, could you recommend any alternative/tweaks that could improve gaming performance? And also, where you able to play games at default clock speeds without freeze?

6. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    My L502X is still not working, it has been like 3 months now, I've spent more than 500 buck.

For now I changed every single part (except the full HD panel), brand new and genuine as well, when I said everything this is:

Bottom case.
    Chassis case.
    Door cover.
    Touchpad.
    Keyboard.
    FAN.
    DC jack.
    I/O board.
    AC adaptater and battery.
    CMOS battery.
    3 x motherboard.
    3 x CPU.
    4 x RAM modules.
    Best thermal paste and pad in the world (overclocking) as of 2017.
    I have over 20 BIOS/EC eeproms (ready to be programmed).

He's looking like fresh out of 2011 from manufactury.

So what I got is a black screen, fan running full speed, nothing on screen, not even LEDs indicator on the back (battery in charge and activity).

I dunno if the fact of not plugging in the USB I/O Circuit Daughter Board (with the large orange ribbon cable rattached to the motherboard, near the DC jack, could have some effect like not giving power functions (I will check the schematics more closely).

The classic error to not getting POST/BIOS (black screen) let people think it is either the motherboard or the CPU.
    Well the first motherboard is dead (I've short circuited the whole board, not even get power anymore).
    The second that I bought from China and returned gave me a black screen and the circuit wasn't really in a good state (like not clean solder joint) so I said **** another faulty brick, then got the third and actual one who is looking brand new and like new, everything got tested and marked on it, got it from USA, and still got the same problem as the previous one.

Alright alright this had to be the CPU right, like I have everything brand new and tested out with a multimeter.

The only difference between my first working board and the new whole build is that I was first using a 2670QM CPU, then got a 2820QM and just ordered a 2860QM.

However this is like pretty impossible to test a CPU, so I've returned the 2820QM and waiting for the 2860QM.

If I'm still getting a black, there is only one possibility (I hope), this had to be the new motherboards using a old BIOS (with outdated CPU microcode) and so not supporting the 2820QM/2860QM, who are the best for this board.

So I will have to program a new eeprom with my old working BIOS dumps and manually inject in binary the latest microcode in it, I really hope it will work...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
    Andromadus likes this.
  7. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1) You'll need to connect that Orange cable labeled MB to the board before it works (don't know if this is what you're referring to though).

2) My PC's using the i7-2670QM CPU.

3) Good luck. I hope you get your PC to work... :)

8. jodyb100

jodyb100 Newbie

Reputations:
    it was originally sold with the 2860QM as (expensive) option so the stock microcode should support it fine. All mini boards need to be connected or it will not even go to bios.

Thanks for all the effort put in!

Andromadus likes this.
  9. MorLipf

MorLipf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The re-released and undervolted version 1.0.0 works fine for me, though there are no real advantages over capitankasars beta version 7 (with Intel VBios update to 2171 I integrated on my own) for me at the moment. :vbthumbsup:

Edit: Could you please re-check the undervolted 540M BIOS? GPU-Z is showing me 1.0V GPU voltage at load.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  10. Andromadus

Andromadus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How did you added the VBIOS, or at least where can I get it? Is it the same version in Thiblizz's BOS mod?

And I haven't heard of a beta version of the BIOS... Could you guide me to where I could locate it?