L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. GrinningColossus

GrinningColossus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, that is the sound it makes when it freezes with the unmodded bios. When I used the modded bios the sound was starting to do that but to a much lesser degree, and I could still move (slowly) and exit the game. I will try your bios and report back.

2. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    I got the same results using your BIOS. Here's a video of the game running at slow speed with audio problems.

3. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Is the problem happening on every (3D) games? Low/High graphic settings?

And can you try to underclock your GPU with MSI Afterburner. (one step at a time, a lil bit)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  4. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    Got the same problem in Skyrim, stuttering and bad audio. Lowered the speeds from 600/900 to 520/753 (sort of random, but should be significant, right?) in MSI afterburner and the speed is about the same.

5. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Should be significant indeed, even a better compromise like 575/790 could fix the problem if it wasn't hardware related.

Alright.. it's not looking good so far, it looks like you NVIDIA chip is faulty.
    You could try reflow soldering the chip, but you will need some serious tools for that and some experience.

Sadly you're not the first with this kinda problem, just check on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2017
  6. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    That's understandable, with how widespread this laptop's problems are. I guess for games I will need a new computer. Thank you for the suggestions!

7. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    No problem mate, hope you will find a way out, anyway for actual gaming this laptop is way too old.

Generally when you need and begin to underclock your GPU, that means it is in a bad state like slowly dying, sure it will work for most people on a short period, then problems will appear again, then they will start to underclock lower, etc.
    This is not a real solution. Reflow soldering is but as I said need some skills.

8. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Need someone to report back if my latest version (v1.0.3) is working fine.
    I received my new motherboard and need to know if the latest version is not breaking anything for you guys, before doing more serious modification.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

@GrinningColossus

Try this too please:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Manage 3D Settings.
    2. If you've made a specific Program Setting for The Witness, delete it.
    3. then go to Global Settings and even if you've never changed them from the defaults hit Restore then Apply.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2017
  9. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Still waiting for a review on the latest version (v1.0.3), hopefully tonight.

10. Botox

Botox Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Thiblizz,

the new 1.0.3 work fine like the two others before. Fast strings is everytime on.
    Also i overclock my nvidia card massive for gaming. it runs perfect and stable.
    max. temperature on heavy and full load over 3 hours: 72 grad

No Sound stuttering...it works perfect.
    perhaps you have a Driver Problem. after the first Flash my Windows work not propper.
    so i make a fresh install