L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Well yeah, these entries are stored in the NVRAM and actually contains your boot loaders information.

So if you remove them, your system will not be able to boot on it x).

PS: These entries are only for people using UEFI.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
  2. dedos

dedos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok thanks @Thiblizz for the clarifications, waiting for the next news of your custom bios ...:):)

3. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    I've short circuited my motherboard recently, waiting for the new one (next Monday), then as I'm only using Linux, I'll work only from a WinPE build.

I'll keep the BIOS updated for everyone, about me, I'm actually focusing on having coreboot for my L502X.

With all the money I threw on my L502X (and electronical stuff), I could have bought a brand new Dell XPS 9550 easily, but I like so much old systems and hacking/modifying stuff on it. (stupid or crazy, I dunno :rolleyes:)

I'm generally only using IBM/Dell old laptop for security and stability, and Linux distros for pentesting and coding.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
  4. GrinningColossus

GrinningColossus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey all,
    Sort of uneducated about the goings-on of this thread, but I have been dealing with overheating in my L502x. The usual story. Just redid the thermal paste without any improvement.

I am able to run The Witness for a few seconds to 2 minutes before a freeze and I have to force a restart. I then used the undervolted bios recommended in the OP for my gt525m GPU (0.85v for 2D and 3D). The game ran without crashing, but the FPS was so low it was a slideshow with static-y noises, so I reverted back to the official Dell bios A12. Is this the normal effect of using a modded undervolted bios? Should I try a different modded version? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Did you check that your game is actually using the NVIDIA chipset (not Intel's one)?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
  6. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    I didn't check after flashing the BIOS but it was definitely using the Nvidia GPU before flashing and after reverting to the unmodded BIOS.

7. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Is the problem happening too with the stock BIOS?
    Or only with the modded one?

8. GrinningColossus

Reputations:
    No, the game plays normally from 20-60FPS with the stock BIOS, except for crashing after a minute or two. Only the modded bios has low FPS and static-fied audio.

9. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    This is strange, because the modded BIOS does not modify the GPU frequency in any way, only undervolting.
    So the game should actually run better with the modded BIOS, because less heat = more stability = more performance.

Without any detailed logs comparing the game running with stock/modded BIOS, I cannot do anything.

10. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    I suggest you to flash my latest BIOS (v1.0.2), and then report me back if the problem still occurs.
    It would be cool.

If the problem persists, I would ask you for some logs.
    _______________________________________________________________________________

PS: Is your laptop doing this sound?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017