L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Botox

Botox Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for your Information. i must have a look how i bypass the descriptor security first Edit: i found it.
    i update only the Intel me firmware to 7.1.80.

2. dedos

dedos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Thiblizz Well I decided to test your custom bios even without feedback in my previous post, everything is very good only I found a difference in the resolution of the video of the beginning of bios my resolution and 1920 x 1080 i use a grub and the resolution is different its screen is of 1366 X 768 ???

3. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Could you explain to me what is your problem, I did not really understand.

Seems easy to fix, just a bad resolution setting, I could check that when I will get more information from you.

EDIT
    : if you are using GRUB 2 (uEFI), could you please make sure to disable totally Legacy boot and use only UEFI boot. You had to clear anything related to Legacy boot, even in the boot order.

Did you set the resolution of GRUB, here are some useful links:
    - http://askubuntu.com/questions/54067/how-do-i-safely-change-grub2-screen-resolution
    - http://askubuntu.com/questions/7611...olution-while-having-to-use-nomodeset-on-boot
    - http://www.binarytides.com/ubuntu-fix-nvidia-graphics/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. dedos

Reputations:
    @Thiblizz Not a problem, I may be wrong more I thought that changed the screen resolution at boot time so I asked if your notebook the resolution is 1366x 768 plus after the boot the resolution is 190 x 1080 normally

Is it possible to insert hdcaddy in the bios boot menu ??

5. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    1. Yeah I think the first time I booted on my system, it was using the 1366*768 resolution, then I set it to 1920*1080. This is the normal configuration in the BIOS, probably because some people with the L502X do not have a FULL-HD panel and are using the standard 1366*768.

2. I need to look deeper inside the BIOS, last time I tried to rewrite the BIOS structure, I entirely bricked my laptop, as of now my L502X is still dead (I got my eeproms, now waiting for the programmer).

Can you confirm to me, that this is not possible to boot on the HDD caddy with the F12 - Boot Menu.

Perhaps, this is a physical problem, I gotta have a look on the Schematics...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

I'm cutting some copper pieces (heatsinks) for the voltage regulators :).
    Then I will lap them (up to 3000 grit) until they look like a mirror, and finally, will fix it with Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive (as the default glue pad is terrible for thermal transfer).

Total of 8 pieces is needed to cover all regulators (including one extra small, like cube form).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
  7. dedos

Reputations:
    Hi @Thiblizz, I have a problem with my computer, but I can not find a way to do this. , Any system I install in UEFI our notebook automatically creates NVRAM entries in the bios in the boot menu, if I remove them with "easy UEFI" link >> http://www.easyuefi.com/index-us.html
    I can not boot the system having to reinstall the partition uefi do you know the reason that creates these entries ??

I have tri-boot UEFI (1-ssd windows 10 pro, linux mint 18.1 cinnamon, 2-ssd mac os x yosemite 10.10.5) CLOVER manages the boot,
    images of my partition system and NVRAM entries >>>>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. dedos

Reputations:
    Can not boot caddy hdd only by NVRAM entries

9. Thiblizz

Thiblizz Guest

Reputations:
    Those entries are always stored in NVRAM, and you cannot boot without, however your setup is not clean.

You should have a look at this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...boot-entries-prevent-further-problems.175274/

I never used the EasyUEFI tool tho, so I can't really help you on it right now.

Did you try with bcfg, like doing
    Code:
    bcfg boot dump

bcfg boot rm # ("#" is the entry you want to remove)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
  10. dedos

Reputations:
    Easy uefi removes the input perfectly does the same thing as bcfg, I just wanted to know the reason why these entries are created if it's just me or happens to someone else ?? And my systems only start by having these entries, removing not working