L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. ScruffyITA

ScruffyITA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

yes, nowe i can give it a try

with the a09 bios and 0.85-0.85 mod i cant get stable pc over 700mhz vga clock.

now im with the a10 0.83-0.83 and pc looks stable also at 740mhz vga core.

maybe i can give this 0.85 a try and look if it give me some advantage in oc the gpu just a bit more :D

i was thinking in buy an i7 too, but maybe it's a bit useless an i7 wit such a low vga (if for gaming) and for not gaming an i5 a decent cpu too

ive seen that with battlefield 3 my i5 processor never pass the 70-80% power utilization, so will it use the 2 more core?

2 more core means also more heat.... and dont forget that maybe sell our i5 and buy a new i7 will costs us less :)

2. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah, I admit the low/mid grade GPU is not upgreadable at all. sadly the only thing we can do is OC, a thing we has been doing over this whole topic optimizating voltages and temperatures to improve it via the BIOS.

but well,it run fine for most of games I play, and i3 is a little low for me, I would need at least an i5 with turbo boost to get decent speed at CPU demanding apps like emulators such as dolphin.

the lack of OC features on the mobile proccesors, and the lack of turboboost feature on the i3 is forcing me to upgreade :s

3. Ogrus

Ogrus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Cap... I'm also thinking in a CPU upgrade for my XPS in a mid-term future... however, there is one thing that seems to be important to think about, before it's done: is the heat sink good enough to dissipate the extra heat created by the quad cores? If I remember correctly, all of the iX with dual cores (mine, and even yours), has 35W of Max TDP (thermal design power)... in the case of the quad cores, this value rises to 45W... if the stock heat sink can hold it, awesome... however, if it can't, remembering that this sink is used by the CPU and also by the GPU, one more chance to make an useable upgrade is to look at the dual core's i7 (2620M and 2640M)...

Here is a comparison table for some iX with dual cores directly from the Intel' site:
    Compare Intel® Products

4. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @Ogrus

well, I supose the motherboard, heatsink and everything else will be compatible while switching proccesors.

else we will be screwed :D hehe

but since all the models come with the same enclosure and internal parts I supose it will be fine. (I know there are motherboard changes between 525m and 540m graphics since they double the dedicated video memory from 1 Gb to 2GB but I think that the GPU is the only MOBO difference, it should be ok for proccesors)

well, its a fact that the i7 will drain more power and generate more heat than a i3/i5, but that its normal, I saw several posts of users complaining how hot become an i7 with turboboost enabled and performing exaustive tasks at this laptop.

I know my temps are really low with an i3, I admit that the temperature and battery life are the only good things about the i3 (well, maybe the price too,thats why I bought it in the first place, had no money left for FHD screen or i5 CPU xD, however I am satisfected with the laptop itself ,well I admit I hate the HDD activity led indicator on the back side, I cant see it without close the screen or stand everytime I want to check it :D)

5. jiannichan

jiannichan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Captainkasar,

Been running your A10 0.83v/0.85v since you released it. I have to say that the issues of the fan running up and down has been working great, but that might be because of the A10 update but the issues. Runs like a charm when idle, no fan switching on and off like it did. I also notice that the side vent when it pushes air, isn't as hot as it used to be with the stock. I don't overclock or anything so this is perfect for me. Keep up the great work!

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @jiannichan
    thanks a lot for the feedback! :)
    added at the first post ^_^

7. Ogrus

Reputations:
    Hey captain... looking by this point of view... yeah! We'll be screwed!
    kkkkkk

But, as you mentioned, if the different models (dependant by the GPU installed) use the same 'main structure', change the CPU shouldn't be a big trouble for the heat sink... however, by the other side, as I said earlier, when I'm playing Dragon Age, even with the turbo boost disabled (CPU usage is maximized at 95% by the power options, having in mind that have created a GAMER profile), the system reaches some peaks of 81°C in the CPU (monitoring with the CPUID HWMonitor)... althought it is well below the max temperature that the system can hold, I think that it is a bit high, as I don't think this game needs that much of the system itself... in normal use, it keeps between 40-50°C... however, I must say that, here in Brazil, in the region where I live, the average temperature is, normally, well between 25-30°C, which may be influencing this too...

8. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @ogrus
    mmm, it looks like you have some temperature issues.
    you can try the undervolted bioses, and also the hardware tweaking (repaste and remove the dust filter to improve airflow, it really helped me ^^)

9. Ogrus

Reputations:
    Yep... as soon as the system itself has the tendency of heat, the enviroment temperature doesn't help a bit... using the CM Storm SF-19, the temperature decreases slightly (if I'm not crazy, the peaks in the CPU becomes 76°C)...

I was thinking about the 0.85/0.85 version, but the 0.83/0.85 seems to be a good choice to!

About the repasting, I'd seen a thread in here, but it seems that there is no more pictures in there... about the removal of the dust filter, I'd seen abou it too, but didn't remember where... can you point me some place where I can find it?

Cheers

10. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @ogrus

is this the thread are you talking about?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...stallation-cpu-gpu-repasting-56k-warning.html

I used this thread to repaste mine :)

pretty easy.

about the dust filter, it is at the inner part of the plastic case, under the fan, you need to remove the fan to get access to the dust filter

[​IMG]

the dustfilter is like a black sticker, as soon as you remove it the airflow is improved :)