L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Capitan!

I've just noticed something....

When the fan used to come on for a long period of time, I could toggle it off by changing the power plan from the task manager (Balanced/Power Saver). This doesn't seem to work any more. Have you noticed this too???

2. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @sevenofnine

do it happens with only the new A10 bioses?
    do it happens also with the original (non moded) A10?

well, the official A10 changelog from dell said something about changes at the FAN, so is posible it is a issue related to the original BIOS, I didnt modified anything else than the GPU voltages and some text at the setup utility.

I also have the power setting to performance allways, the sad part of having an i3 is that I have very limited proccesing power, so I cant limit even more the CPU ^^

3. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Capitan,

I've not tried the 'official' A10 bios from the Dell website, only yours. I didn't think it would be something you'd have changed tho, I know you're only able to mod the GPU voltage (at the mo!).

Has anyone else noticed this? It's not the end of the world and I can always just go back to A09 if it causes problems.

I sometimes wish I'd gone for an i5 - I run my i7 in power saving mode most of the time - it can be a bit of a beast sometimes!! Can you upgrade to a mid-range i5? I guess the socket would be the same?

4. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @sevenofnine

I considered several times upgreading proccesor, but getting a sandy bridge socket 988 proccesor is not as easy as it sounds.

also the prices i saw for the single proccesor are as expensive as getting a whole new computer with the new proccesor inside.

also called dell and they told me that a proccesor upgrade to a i7 would cost me arround 1000€ plus 200€ from the technician.

In my case I would love to disassenbly the unit and do the task by myself, however 1000€ for a single proccesor is unnaceptable :/

I noticed about this

NEW! Intel Core i7-2820QM Mobile 3.4GHz 8M L3 45W 32nm | eBay

i7-2820QM for $293.99

it could be a very interesting option, but I think is really good to be true xD

however not sure if that offer still avalible, saw also this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-...8MB-/120642126422?pt=CPUs&hash=item1c16d4c256

but that is more expensive.

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just to let you know - IT LIVES !!!
    But i dont know if i should trust my temps readings , they seem too low , i was expecting to reach 90-91 .C but it only got to 74-75 >C while gaming , i think that cannot be right maybe my gpu temperature sensors are faulty , i dont know but i know the temps should be higher . when i have OC to 800 MHz i was getting 70-71 <C ,

I had my heart in my throat when i started game testing and i was expecting to kill the laptop , but it runs ok , i have had no crashes or artifacts , but experienced tiny bit of microstuttering in heavy battles , now downclocked to 880 MHz just to stay on the safe side .
    Thank you amigo .

6. Jovica666

Jovica666 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just tested the new A10 modded bios (0.85/0.85V profile) OC`d with 750/1500/1000 clocks with my NVidia GT525M.Played Battlefield 3 for an hour and temps between 72C-85C at room temperature and no cooling pad...so far,so good no freezing,lags or BSOD...Cheers!!! :D

7. Savior

Savior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think it'll add much overclocking headroom. But it might add a little bit. How much overclocking you can do depends on the quality of the silicon itself. Every chip is different.

8. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @ZXRaziel

nice temps :)

@Jovica666

thanks a lot for testing the untested BIOS :)

added to the first post ^_^

now all the current Bioses are tested at least once :)

I think some users like ScruffyITA will be pleased to know that this bios is tested with good results hehe ^^

9. Savior

Savior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The cheapest quad core option is 2630qm or 2670qm. You can find them very cheap on Ebay.

@sevenofnine
    There's no disadvantage to having a i7. When your computer is idle. It will use just as much power as a i3 or i5, but it will be much more powerful when you need it.

10. capitankasar

Reputations: