L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @nomygod

roger that ^_^

then thanks for the feedback :3

@all

any word about the gt540m bios mod?, someone?
    (<- have no gt540m card to test ^-^)

2. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GT 540M modded BIOS works fine! Reports 1.0V and overclocks nicely. :cool: (Stability & heat are another issue to remain cautious about; temps are a few degrees higher than normal)

I had to revert to an old BIOS to get around an error that stated an equivalent version was already installed during the flash process (is this normal?):
    BIOS A07 -> A06 -> Modified A07

Works for me! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks!

3. alinad

alinad Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    when has update problems, dell warranty avoid or not ? such as missing windows slip 2.1 problems ? thanks.

4. rabbitz

rabbitz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is undervolting the cpu possible?

5. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Captain sorry for late reply - time zones and all that! I'll happily test the 540 mod but ive only got my iPhone till mid next week (hols).

From subsequent posts, I've got a couple of concerns, I'm more interested in undervolting the gpu so not sure if I dare overvolt the gpu due to heat stuff. Also I'm using a quad core i7 2630qm. Will this have any effect? I notice you're using an i3 - is this important to consider when bios modding? I guess not as the mod is focused on the gpu but just thought I'd ask anyway..

Finally, and just a suggestion, in case bios modding leads to any unexpected problems it might be worth including a couple of tips in how to revert back in your original post. Up to you tho! Great work Captain!

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    thanks for the testing and experience sharing :)

well, as for the flashing error asking that bios is already flashed, I think it can be fixed by changing the flashing the flashing parameters:
    I think i ussed those parameters while I had the same issue you had, is just that I forgot to include those parameters at the batch file and used the stock ones, I will use following one on next bios relases
    Code:
    WinFlash /all /sa /sn /sd /sp /svs /sv /cvar BIOS.WPH
    this should skip the version checks if I'm correct

oh, just curius, what is the max stable gpu clock speed you can get with the 1V bios mod?

I didnt modified that, while using the bios tools, I preserved those features, so it should be ok.

[​IMG]
    Code:
     Offset     Valid Address Range    SLP OEM String

000FE076    000FE076 - 000FE086    Dell System
    anyway, I cant confirm this dont avoid the warranty, flash at your own risk

not sure, but currently I didnt found an easy way to do it.

thank you sevenofnine :)

well, if you re worried about heat, I suggest using a undervolted version.
    I dont recomend the overvolted versions unless you are looking for a high OC.
    yep, i3 usually runs at cooler temperatures than i7 as far I know.

but take in mind, undervolted gpus may not be stable while running high clocks, just tell me what are your desired volts configuration and i will build a bios for you :)

relating flashing problems, I didnt found too much on the net, for the uefi, securecore tiano recovery disks,I made some recovery usb sticks, but not fully sure they will work properly for this.

even those new laptops have more secure recovery systems.
    as far I know there are still chances to brick the systems, so allways make sure the laptop is fully battery charged, plugged in, and NEVER, interrupt the flashing process under any cirscustance.

cause I dont know any way of recover 100% a corrupt flash for this laptop, I asked at the bios-mods.com, and seems the required files for the securecore tiano files bios recovery are not avalible on the net yet.

since I am just modifing the nvidia gpu vbios and some other minor details, the only troubles I found were unusable nvidia card, but I were able to still being able of using the intel card so I were able to reflash and get the nvidia card working again.

7. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had a nice overclock of 860/1010, stable for SCII. Fantastic! :)

However, I have reverted back to the original A07 BIOS as the temps are a worry for me. I only have the stock cooling (haven't repasted) and during Furmark, the max temperature increased from 79C to 91C (with 1V & no overclocking) :eek:

Works well, but afraid I probably won't be able to comfortably use it until I do a repaste or something. :(

Many thanks for the hard work :)

8. capitankasar

Reputations:

thank you, and nice overclock :), good luck with repasting, consider also remove the dust filter from the case under the cpu fan, It really improved the airflow for me :)

my GT525m refuses to work at higher clocks than 670 :(, the burn tests works in higher clocks with no artifacts, however the games such as dead space 2 crash with higher clocks, not sure why, but it does, so I am running 670 core speed with 0.85v atm. underclocked and and overclock to the highest stable speeds seems to work fine, didnt tested the memory overclock so much anyway

9. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Captain,

Thanks for the feedback and clarification on bios restoration. I think if I was to request a bios, I would go for:

2D PROFILE desired voltage: 0.83v
    3D PROFILE desired voltage: 0.98v
    card model: GT540M

But! from an earlier post you said that these voltages are what the 540 are running at already? So I guess this wouldn't make much sense? Basically I'd like my laptop to run cooler when it's running off Intel HD graphics (browsing the web, MS Excel etc). Based on that, do you think there's much reason to do:

2D PROFILE desired voltage: 0.83v
    3D PROFILE desired voltage: 0.85v
    card model: GT540M

because this would fairly cripple 3D performance? Or have I got it allllll wrong?

Thanks Captain!

10. RainMan_

RainMan_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys..

3D Profile is when you GAME , 0.98v for 3D will lead to HIGH temps.
    2D Profile is not important, it will decrease idle temps.