L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @gio789

hey :)

well , since you have the 540m and the crashes problem like many other uses have, try this bios

http://l502x.lag.re/L502X_A12_540m_83_85_Unlocked_Menus_v5.rar

all the instructions are already on the first post, just extract the files to anywhere, and run the Flash_modded_bios.bat file, type Y, press enter, and follow the proccess.

this should fix or at least improve your crashing issue, else you will need to underclock the GPU.

2. in_humanity

in_humanity Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there,

I run a dell l502x with a gt540m video card, almost 3 years old now. Been having issues with the game freezing for a while but temprorarily solved it by underclocking with msi afterburner. however now the problem shows up again when gaming after a few hours and I would like to try undervolting the gpu using the recommended moded bios. I still run the factory default (A01) though and was wondering if I should update to the A09 before trying the modded bios or whether i dont need to. Also how risky is it? in terms of losing my saved data. Thanks

3. thenriques45

thenriques45 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello in_humanity, welcome to the forum.

Undervolt your GPU is a good option. I beleave that there is no great risk, altough flash a new bios can go wrong if your computer shutdown during the process. But, as long as it have battery power and is pluged to the wall outlet, I don't think that you will find any problem. I did flash many bios during the two years that I have my l502x and never had any trouble.

Since your model is the same as mina, I'll recomend this version of the bios http://l502x.lag.re/L502X_A12_540m_83_85_Unlocked_Menus_v5.rar. Its the one I use and that is usually more stable for our system.

Also, since you are reporting a degrading performance over time of your PC, I think it sugest that you need to repaste the CPU and GPU. You can look to my post's to find one where I show on a video how a repaste my CPU and GPU. Also, on youtube you can find a very compreensive video showing how to desassemble and reassembla the l502x.

Good luck and, any other question, don't be shy. People here tend to be very nice ;-)

capitankasar likes this.
  4. Phonemes

Phonemes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you explain how to disable cores in the bios? I can disable hyperthreading in the bios, but I see no possibility to disable cores. Do I need to install one of capitankasar's modded biosses to do this?
    TIA

5. in_humanity

in_humanity Newbie

Reputations:
    ty for the input thenriques45, I have another question:

I dont trust the cd drive on my laptop (too many times has it failed to work) so if i download the backup bios file as stated on the first page and put it on an empty usb stick instead, will I still be able to recover my bios in the event of a bricked flash? Sorry I am bad with this technical stuffs but really want to fix my machine (too poor to get a new one XD) Thanks guys

6. agalin

agalin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just put bios.cap file to FAT32 formated USB and put it in eSata port. It will load BIOS from this location properly.

7. guessyet

guessyet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Captain, timewalker, and all people of the thread.. :hi2:

I just wanted to drop in and see whats up.. The modded bios(s) that I have been running has worked Gr8!!
    The only issues I have had was with defective hardware... My touchpad, keyboard, motherboard, cooler and fans( the
    fan wore itself out.. lol.. completely stopped working), and case has been replaced several months back.. I worked
    with several issues without calling dell and just dealt with them.. Just before my warranty ran out, i called dell and
    sent the laptop in for repairs.. wiped everything and flashed the original dell bios back.. they kept it for a month..
    but I received pretty much a new/refurbed unit back..

Loaded modded bios back on.. and the laptop has been running great since...

Laptop Configuration:
    Modded bios: A12 .83v/.93v gt540 advance menus / EFI+gpt / rEFInd bootloader / Dualboot Win7Pro/Mint15..

I was going to install OSX ML but didn't to deal with none working internal wifi card..

Overall - for a laptop.. this thing still works good for my daily tasks.. I have been working with Android lately.. I compile several times a day..
    And I can not complain about performance.. lol... when the cores on these i7 gets to running - they really hold their own pretty good.. :)

I did see where timewalker posted about the fan app.. I am going to look at it in a few and see what it is like..

8. Mate175

Mate175 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @capitankasar One crazy issue here, haha. I downclocked my GPU to 1480/750/900 (Bios version: 0.85/0.85) and tried to run some CPU stress tests with Intel Extreme Utility. I ran the test for ~4 minutes and everytime I got a message from Nvidia driver saying that the driver crashed. Temperatures are ok, nothing above 80ºC. Can you help me, please? ): I don't know what's happening.

P.S. Turbo Boost is off.

9. shibbyiu

shibbyiu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

I'm using modded bios for dell xps 15 l502x. I have to underclock all the way to 450mhz to play league of legends. WoW crashed even on 450mhz clock with 650 memory. What is my options? I recently installed new hdd it was easy to get half the dell open, i havent checked heatsink for dust but tbh when laptop crashes like in WoW its not even that hot. I saw a bit of dust inside around where my hdd usually is, might try taking disk out and spraying air into the case from the inside.

Thanks

David

10. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Phonemes

there is an option over the HT option

active proccesor cores (that one should make the trick :) )

however, this option is only avalible on modded bioses.

@guessyet

glad to know you liked it :)

let us to know if you have success with timewalker apps ^^

@Mate175

wich GPU you have?

also, if you are running cpu stress tests, it doesnt make sense it crashes with the nvidia gpu wich shouldnt be used at all for that, make sure the intel extreme utility isnt set to use nvidia gpu at the nvidia panel, then ensure there are no apps using nvidia gpu on the gpu activity icon

also, since you are using intel XTU, are you doing some kind of BCLK overclocking?

@shibbyiu

what gpu model and modded bios version and voltage settings are you using?

@all

thanks to Brabbelbla, it seems new unlocked settings are comming out :)

this include raid support (untested yet)

I can see a v6 version comming soon :)

the new version will include at least custom splash screen and more options ^^

[​IMG]

I also may relase a test versions for the L702X since that laptop may take more advantage of raid

agalin likes this.