L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. captainpanic

captainpanic Newbie

Reputations:
    alright i will try it. thanks for the fast answer :D

capitankasar likes this.
  2. captainpanic

captainpanic Newbie

Reputations:
    UPDATE:
    i downloaded and installed the recommended 0.83v/0.85v bios (everything went fine) and after starting my computer nvidiainspector shows 0.85v but it switches to 0.95v sometimes. while gaming though it stays at 0.95v.. and i dont know why. and i think its still the reason cause the color-screens still appear :/

3. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those interested in fan control - here are solutions for both Windows and OSX. OSX solution currently can't switch between profiles, but is more stable in terms of sustaining the fan at a steady speed. Windows app on the other hand is capable of switching between profiles and you can define your own too (stock profiles are coded with Vostro 3450 temps and fan speeds in mind), but it sometimes looses the lock as ec port driver reads (and sometimes writes) garbage info in ec memory space.

Windows app will colorize the fan speed bar based on the active fan control mode used. If EC controls the fan the bar will turn green, if fan is locked at a steady speed the bar will be shown white. If profile is passive and fan is locked in off state the tooltip of tray icon will report that.

6WQKG.png 6WQLp.png
    Project page (see the readme) and binaries: https://github.com/Dolnor/Dell-SCT-IT8518E-Fan-Control

For OSX you have the option to either use an equivalent of Windows "Audible" profile or "Passive" profile. Each profile comes as separate ACPI table that you have to alter the speed and trip temp in order to match your needs. Included binaries will provide monitoring of Dell sensors as well as the status of fan control mode. If ec has control over fan the fan control will be shown as Auto, if fan is locked at steady speed - Steady.

6Xidy.png

The status bar icon will show the fan control mode too:
    6Xiil.png

Edit the dsl file (read comments on what is what) and compile using your favorite tool..
    Project page (see readme, again!) and needed binaries: https://github.com/Dolnor/Vostro-3450-Fan-Override

4. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @captainpanic

what are you using to check voltages?

try using HWmonitor

@timewalker75a

nice job! :)

I will update the first topic with your tool ;)

5. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    And for people who only want a lightweight temperature and battery monitoring tool and don't want to have heavy AIDA open at all times - here's an alternative.
    Minimizing the app throws it into tray icon, hovering over which you can get DTS temperature readings from CPU, PCH, GPU(if any) as well as fan speed.
    [​IMG]

P.S. Don't keep both apps open at the same time, reading from EC port is crappy .. the apps will interfere.
    Download: IT8518E-Status-Tool

capitankasar likes this.
  6. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @timewalker75a Do you know if the fan control tool works with Win 8.1? Both the tool and the TVicPort installer say that its not compatible.

Edit: Never mind. Was downloading it wrong off github.

7. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    Fan behavior profile switching for OSX now too! * won't work on XPS 15z though.
    Audible - will wait till fan speed drops to 3000 and temp drops to 52 and will lock the fan at rpm level close to 3k.
    Passive - will wait till temp drops below 52C and will shut off the fan until temp reached 64C.
    Temp here is average cpu proximity temperature from 16 iterations. If you want to change this behavior - edit ACPI table.

Audible will work only on AC, while Passive will work on battery too .. quitting the app will restore automatic control.

[​IMG]

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqqqmdj8qm2kb3i/working-fan-control-and-monitor.zip

8. captainpanic

captainpanic Newbie

Reputations:
    ok i tried HW monitor; still the same problem.

lately i got the error message "the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 334.67 is not working anymore and got re-established".

i tried using an older driver and the latest. nothing seem to work. i dont know, but could the power supply/power supply unit (dont know whats the correct one :p) be the problem?

i am open for any new ideas :/,thanks in advance

9. gio789

gio789 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hola amigo, vi que hablas español y tengo el mismo problema. Tengo un XPS L502X con una GT 540M. En algunos juegos se congela y necesito forzar el apagado, en otros simplemente se congela y tengo que cerrar el juego. Veo que hay muchas paginas y casi todo está en ingles, además de que empezó el foro hace más de un año. Quisiera saber cómo es el proceso para solucionar ese problema y si hay algún paso nuevo o algo por el estilo. Gracias. Saludos desde Colombia.

10. gio789

gio789 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I saw you speak Spanish and have the same problem. I have a XPS L502X with GT 540M. In some games it freezes and I need to force shutdown, others just freezes and I have to close the game. I see there are many pages and almost everything is in English, plus the forum began more than a year. I wonder what is the process to solve this problem and if there is a new step or something like that. Thank you. Greetings from Colombia.