L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I mistakenly described the shadow first.. then I finally understood what he meant by "bottom square". The image is overexposed, hence you don't see the actual star in that image, but just a white rectangle :) If you look very closely you can distinguish the familiar energy star logo in there.
    The shadow is not being separated, it's just that the gradient at the bottom tooth of the gear is getting stretched and it creates an illusion of wider space, also the edges of the shadow are getting stretched and appear to vanish.

capitankasar and Kpax7 like this.
  2. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    Made a couple more designs .. and didn't like how any of them look .. I guess you can call me a DELL fanboy then.. but I do prefer the vanilla logo that comes by default
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Also, made s sweet VOSTRO branding instead of the dull Vostro text and its too damn big to fit in terms of size in bytes, so i'm sticking with generic "Vostro" for now. boo-hoo
    [​IMG]

I assume (I got fed up so not willing to test at the moment) the black bar is the bar that is getting filled by purplish-blue rectangles and doesn't act as a cover for the intel logo.. it somehow magically appears sometimes.

Kpax7 likes this.
  3. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, then! Mr, fanboy :D
    IMO anything better than the name of someone on my laptop! I prefer to put my own name instead of Michael Dell !!
    We gotta do something about intel and energy star logos, I'm curios !

4. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    Guys with a programmer willing to partake in a test if UEFI bios can handle this op-rom bootloader? Supposedly it can boot the HDD caddy (optibay) while the original bios is unable to boot any OS from it, unless its installed as UEFI and a bcfg entry is pointed to a respective bootloader.
    Plop - Documentation / Manual / Examples - Free Boot Manager, builtin usb driver, native usb, boot different operating systems, cdrom, usb, freeware, option rom bios

Because, lets face it, who uses PXE anyway ? Just swap out the network boot rom for this op-rom and see if it works ?
    My bios has two oproms for Realtek NIC: Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083) and again Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083) .. GUIDs are 287AB657-3D8E-48FD-8FBF-6F69A3333098 and DA8B5CEB-5701-44B3-AA85-C38A5012FB44

5. Wilvee

Wilvee Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I installed the A10 Volt-modded 0.83-0.85v Bios for 540m on my XPS15.

Some history:
    I own this XPS laptop for ~1.5 years now and it's my 5th (and probably last...) Dell system.
    The XPS has given me graphics troubles from day 1.
    Motherboard has been replaced on day 2 because the only thing that worked was the fan at full speed. :(
    Actually, it's a very nice laptop and I can throw almost anything at it in terms of software and stress tests, and it works like a charm!

Strange thing is, however, that the only "game" I own crashes the system on default voltages and clocks within 15 seconds or even at loading.
    Actually, I'm NOT allowed to call it a "game", because it's a dead-serious simulator.
    It has been running OK on all my previous systems, the last one a Dell 6400 laptop with an X1400 graphics card. Frame rate was acceptable and it never crashed in 4 years.

On the XPS15, this same simulator is impossible to run with the factory default clock speeds.
    I had some "intricate" discussions with Dell support over the years but my conclusion now is, that they have no clue how to solve these problems.
    As long as the warranty runs they offer to replace motherboards, but as soon as the warranty expires, you're on your own.

I can't even guess how many hours/days/weeks I spent, trying to find a solution, talking to support guys, cleaning the inside of thermal paste that they seem to use by the gallon and reassemble the laptop properly myself. :(
    On a positive note, I can now completely disassemble and re-assemble the XPS blindfolded! :)

The above mentioned simulator refused to run with higher core clocks than 571 and memory clock 802 Mhz.
    Anything higher results in a crash, with sound loop and only the power button to recover.
    Even with this 100 Mhz under-clock, the program sometimes did crash unexpectedly.

3 weeks ago I accidentally stumbled over this forum.
    I read (almost-) all posts (yes, really!) and I now know that I'm not the only one with this problem on this laptop.

From my background, and previous experience (..), I know that patching firmware without the source code is a very delicate process, to say the least.
    Therefore, my hat is off for the guys that have the courage and perseverance to start a project like this and to make it the success that it is today!

Yesterday, I finally took the plunge and installed the 0.83/0.85V modded Bios for the 540m.
    I reset the 540m clocks to defaults (672/900) and started the "game".
    It did not crash, but froze solid after 52 seconds.
    I could ALT-TAB to MSI Afterburner and saw that the GPU temperature was 57 C which was not bad.
    However, Afterburner had frozen at the same time and Task manager could not kill any frozen programs or processes.
    Power off to recover again. :(

On re-boot, I noticed that for some reason the NVidia High definition Audio drivers were re-installed. (?) There are 4 of them and I didn't change anything in the configuration or cabling.
    Anybody knows why that’s happening after every crash?
    (Btw. I use a large external display via HDMI)

Then, I lowered the GPU clock to 641 Mhz and, Lo and behold, immediately the simulator ran for 2.5 hours without crashing!
    Temperature never went higher than 57 C.

After that I had a looong session at 650 Mhz.
    Temp again went to 57 C and the machine idles between 47 - 52 C.
    During this session the simulation froze once for ~15 seconds but then continued by itself (which is completely new!), so I guess 650 Mhz is as high as it goes.
    That's an overall 80 Mhz improvement over the original Bios and the fan never runs at high speed.
    I call that a great result and thank you for a great job!

My aim is by no means to achieve an over clock of the CPU or GPU.
    The Intel i7 is more than powerful enough, and cranking it up in the cramped space of this laptop without adequate cooling, is asking for trouble.
    But because I'm curious, I just downloaded the A12 modded 0.83-0.85 Advanced Bios.
    Maybe I just enable Fast String, but leave the rest alone.
    I'm perfectly happy and delighted with the current result!

Thanks again.

6. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think the XPS15 outputs HDMI through the Nvidia card instead of the iGPU, so the audio drivers are automatically reinstalled by Windows when it reboots since the function is detected on the cable to trasmit audio?

You can also reduce the performance of your i7 by disabling cores or turning off hyperthreading. Since I only use mines as a media laptop now, I flat out disabled 2 cores in the bios which reduced idle heat by a large amount apparently as the fans don't turn on when its idling anymore.

7. Wilvee

Wilvee Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for responding,

Hiperthreading was one of the first things that was switched off 1.5 years ago.
    The XPS15 indeed outputs to HDMI through the GT540m.
    That's working properly for both video and sound, and temperatures on the 540m are even lower when the full HD monitor is in use than when the laptop's display is used instead.

But that doesn't explain why the NVidia High definition Audio drivers are re-installed after a crash, and only after a crash. :err:
    My fear is, and has always been with this issue, that as a result of the crash the Audio drivers or even the registry gets corrupted (remember the "sound loop") so that windows decides to re-install the drivers on the next reboot.
    There may be more going on than the effects of a factory overclocked card or temperature issues, although the voltage reduction is a major step forward for certain software.

Fact is, I can run software that do not use audio and stresses both CPU and GPU to the max for days in a row on factory defaults, without a single crash.
    It gets hot, but it won't crash.

8. captainpanic

captainpanic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi capitankasar, and all the others reading through this post
    as this is my first post on his website/forum,I will explain how I got to this forum and why I directly write to you.

First something about my laptop: (bought it in August 2011)
    Dell XPS 15 l502x
    Windows 7 64bit
    Intel core i7
    Nvidia GT525m
    6GB RAM
    BIOS version A06 (updated it to A12 today).

How I got to this forum:
    I found it in a video description on a youtube video, where a guy had a problem with the same dell notebook like I have. The problem was that his screen froze while playing a videogame and he couldn't do anything but shutting it down.

He did all the good stuff like rebooting and so on and also updated his video if it worked or not. Then he found a mod in one of your forum posts for undervolting and this fixed it.

This is my story:
    Like I already mentioned I bought this notebook in August 2011. I played games like Black Ops, World of Warcraft, Modern Warfare 2 and 3 without any issues. Now as I try to play World of Warcraft again, I get a problem I can't solve.
    Randomly after spending some time in-game, the screen freezes in a randomly color (like green, orange, black, blue and so on) and I just can shut it down. The temperature is fine (60-65°C).
    I rebooted multiple times, did update my drivers and lately also my BIOS. Nothing helped.

Now after the latest BIOS update, I thought that one of your mods may can help me too. Of course I want to make sure if this can possibly be a reason for the freezes. So it would be nice to hear what you think about it and how this sounds to you :).

So this is the mod I thought about:
    Current BIOS version: A12
    GPU: gt525m
    0.85v
    0.85v

And this is the part where I hope you WANT to help me, because due reading through the forum and seeing all the posts and mods you did, I know you CAN ;).
    So, what I hope you can do, is creating a mod that only needs to be flashed, without extra options because I really don't have any clue.

I honestly don't have any idea if this is much work for you or not. If you don't want to to this or if it is too much work, please tell me. I don't want to annoy you in any way.

Thanks in advance,
    captainpanic

9. captainpanic

captainpanic Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, would be nice if you can read throgh the text I wrote :) Thanks

10. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @captainpanic

well, just flash the a12 advanced version with 0.85v/0.85v ;)

with the stock settings, the modded bios is almost the original one, just stay away from the unlocked settings and it will be ok.

however the modded bios also offer pasive upgrades like intel video bios update and microcode update, so is recomended to install it even you run it at default settings.

dont worry ;)

those bios are well tested and we have many tested recovery features ^^

I think most of people who tested them are happy and confortable with them ;)

captainpanic likes this.