L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thanks for the guide kapax

well, I had some issues with the images to get the tables match with the ones from your image and the module

but I think I finally got it to match on size.

photoshop, same heigh and width, grey scale.

then "save for web & devices" option

jpeg

low (quality 10) this is important, else the huffman table had different size.

now the sizes and stuff while hex editing seems to be fine, anyway had to add some zeros to fill the scan area like you did.

[​IMG]

I am going to try now to reintegrate the logo module and build the bios to be flashed, lets hope it fully works at this time without corrupt the other images ^^

Kpax7 likes this.
  2. capitankasar

Reputations:
    yay! success ;)

[​IMG]

custom logo time! ;)

here are the addresses from the 0C7F41A9-0A6F-43F6-A0D9-1E2D01DBD7BE_4_1122.ROM module for the main logo image

Baseline DCT

from 9f5h
    to a04h

Huffman table

from a8eh
    to ba7h

quantization table

from a08h
    to a8ah

Scan area

from ba9h
    to 44abh

edit: those offsets may vary, since I worked directly over the modified Kpax7 logo module

I owe you one Kapax7 ;)

PS: now I miss that intel image, hehehe

edit: added the descriptor pinmod override instructions to the first post.

Kpax7 likes this.
  3. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow!
    Nice Logo there!! Congrats!
    I learned all of this from you, I owe you ;)

While you're having success I should report that testing with a 256 color logo failed with a black screen :(
    So I have to use the old grayscale logo ....
    Maybe that's because you can't officially make a 256 or 16 color jpg !! I down sampled a jpg to 256 and no success

4. Kpax7

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of a new challenge :laugh:
    Now that we changed the logo, what's next!?
    Give me a new evil plan haha

5. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice work there, kasar. Most likely my vostro has slightly different offsets.. And i still wonder where energy star image comes from ...

We probably need to determine these setup defaults inside some module that is responsible for storing and restoring the config in nvram. Since you are the guys with a programmer you are labrats by definition, he he.

Something crawls my mind in the instructions though.
    This is misleading.. because it says that you have taken the respective parts of the original logo and replaced this parts in your logo.. but in reality it happens the other way around? You take the respective parts from the logo you have created and hex edit them into the original logo in the module ?

Also, an odd thing i've noticed .. when you look at the original Dell logo it has a reflection at the bottom. When you export the image from FileScanner it suddenly loses the reflection and becomes a dumb oval logo.. just me?

Edit:

It seems like the nvram datastore is sitting inside PADDING-00350048_0_1199.ROM (searched for G7_ with XSearch) module .. it's a 191 Kb module on my Vostro.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

well, sad the 16 or 256 color logos doesnt work, anyway I am more than happy with my black and white boot screen now :D

if you want new challenges, timewalker is now trying to change default bios setup values to enable UEFI and others, maybe you can give us a hand there :)

also, there was some aditional menus relating with overclocking wich couldnt be unlocked with regular hex editing on the advanced setup module.

timewalker and jkbuha said they are more related to the ME region, so maybe it could be posible to do something from there.

after some bricks, I sucesfully modded the ME region and relased a patch wich enable BCLK overclocking via software like intel XTU

but nothing else for the moment.

I wish I had something like overclocking menus in bios, but didnt had luck yet, even the overclocking strings are definitly at the advanced menu module :D

@timewalker

hehe lab rats, I like it :D

well, relating the intel or energy start images, I suspect they could come from other modules, like power management or intel video bios, however I have no idea at all.

and yeah, we made similar images on on photoshop (the details are back on this topic) and replaced some hex sections of the logo module with our image.

* Baseline DCT
    * Huffman table
    * quantization table
    * Scan area

replaced those sections like Kapax7 said, and the logo is finally working :)

are planing to join also the custom logo gang? :)

oh and nice find! ;)

Kpax7 likes this.
  7. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    I've used photoshop and mixed all the channels of the image to make a grayscale image, then exported it as an image for web with 70% quality optimizations, which lead to 140 byte haffman table (140 in my original dell logo too). The length of the scan area was about 1/2 of the original logo.. but the order of the sections of JFIF image i had produced was scattered. As in, in my image quantization table is before Baseline DCT, whilst in original logo its the other way around. I didn't bother looking much at it .. reintegrated and reflashed with PFlash.

I was at the point of tossing the laptop to the wall after it booted to a black screen and refused to proceed any further, even windows wouldn't start. On top of that the A13 crisis CD that I had around didn't work, good thing I had a stock-bios-based A12 CD at some place I didn't know where, so I spent a good 40 minutes looking for the damn CD. After reflashing from factory A12 it booted again.. I looked at the module that I have modded and reintegrated and the logo I've put in didn't appear at all, it showed up as an empty chessboard instead of an actual image. Second attempt was far more successful:

[​IMG]

Update:
    I re-did the graphics (not shown in the image above, its the old one) for Bios-Mods logo in vector form, then rasterized the image and weathered it to look more like an old gear .. the shadow dropping from a gear looks dull and doesn't really resemble anything. The image sure is sharp and bright (being all-white with gray-ish sides on some teeth).

Quite frankly, I like the original Dell logo more than anything, so I probably will revert to default image in a couple of hours. Or I'll make the classic blue logo a completely white and add some sort of wavy gradient to it .. whichever works.

capitankasar likes this.
  8. capitankasar

Reputations:
    nice job TW :)

hehe, yeah, those bios cd recovery cdroms also saved my lot of times :)

btw, what is that white square at the bottom left?

9. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    it's supposed to be a shadow which renders badly when the image gets stretched by CSM driver
    http://puu.sh/6M62c.png

Ah.. the bottom square - energy star logo which I have no idea where it comes from :D

P.S. Just to be clear - offsets for the respective sections of the image in Vostro's DellSplash logo are completely different.. Good thing @Kpax7 documented the procedure pretty involved.

Kpax7 likes this.
  10. Kpax7

Reputations:
    This sentence seems valid and clear to me :D
    Anyway I'm not a native english speaker, so you know better :)
    I meant to say: Make your own Logo , replace the mentioned sections in the original rom with the custom one.

I don't see any "energy star logo" on your screen !! :eek:
    Am I blind or you're hallucinating? :laugh:

And also that's weird! The shadow mustn't get separated from the main logo! You sure you did everything right? The resolution and other properties?
    I can't understand why the shadow converts to a white rectangle :eek:

@ Capitankasar
    There were a lot of details that I didn't have time to talk about and you guys succeeded in finding them yourselves.
    I forgot to say to use Photoshop , and save for web option and rastisizing the image :)
    Perhaps Dell company used ACDsee editor for finalizing the Dell logo image and used Photoshop for creating the XPS mini logo (and probably Vostro mini logo)