L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    mmm, I had sucess, however, something definitly went weird :D

[​IMG]

as you can see, my logo is working finally, however, some stuff is definitly weird.

take a look to Kpax7 image

[​IMG]

the progress bar and F2 and F12 shortcuts images are there, however in my case, they are gone, that could be comprensible if I did something wrong, but ...... the intel logo is what really annoys me :D

where the heck it is being loaded? there are not a single intel image at the entire logo module!

what kind of sorcery is this? :D

2. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My new motherboard also has energy star logo in the bottom left corner and Intel logo above F2 F12 text which I haven't found a trace of inside the bios. And I hadn't any of these images with old board... So they are definitely not in the update capsule...

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk

3. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Haha :laugh:

@Kasar : Your boot screen looks more clear now :D
    I think you made a mistake in finding the closing tag for the Dell logo and replaced your logo with entire "Dell log + Loading Bar + etc" and I say this because XPS logo is still loaded and that's before Dell logo! That's why you didn't remove that :)

But the intel thingy makes it look more official ^_^
    That's still so weird ...

P.S> Closing tags for all of the images inside the Rom are the same so you should find the second one "FF D9"
    Also I uploaded my Rom for analysis , take a look at. is in your inbox

Edit: I think I also found out the source to your magic intel logo :D
    I think Dell used a black bar to cover the intel logo on the top in the ROM. And that's the 3rd image!
    I'm now pretty sure that you replaced all your images in the Rom file with the Capitankasar logo :D
    What size is your logo?
    Actually it must be something between 7 to 13 kilobyte (approximately). I guess your file size must have been more than that!

Illustration:
    http://up.liz.ir/files/Bar.jpg

4. Kpax7

Reputations:
    I heard someone wanted Mobo and ALC chip picture:
    ALC chip.jpg

The whole Mobo at high quality:
    MOBO.jpg

5. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    oh, my image was 14,7 kb, smaller than the whole logo jpg image wich got extracted from the file.

I am going to try something different with a smaller image.

thanks for the images kpax! :)

so acording to all the info you guys said, I think this should be the instructions for the descriptor security override mod.

please, correct me if I am wrong ^^

[​IMG]

6. Kpax7

Reputations:
    @CapitanKasar:
    You're welcome!

@Timewalker:
    This is interesting! How is the descriptor is related to the audio chip :D
    So if we short those two pins for a brief second (with the cmos battery plugged ? or turned on laptop?) the descriptor gets unlocked and ready?

And also what recent tweaks have you done for OSx? The tweak in the bios for OSx sleep was awesome!
    I'm now using Iatcos ML2, that's perfect. Lion was so annoying and troublesome ....

7. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    Yeah, @kasar that's absolutely correct.

@Kpax7
    You can use a 1K pullup resistor on there or just a paperclip bent at an angle, then power the laptop up. This bit of info came from Intel 6-Series Chipset specification (pp.91):
    [​IMG]
    Also this, from intel ME presentation from a couple of years back:
    [​IMG]

In regards to OSX - I keep a thread up over at IM:
    Mavericks on DELL Vostro 3450 & Inspiron 14R UEFI Clover - Installation Guides - InsanelyMac Forum
    The recent work I've mentioned was this solution to solve the long dreaded problem:
    https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander

capitankasar and Kpax7 like this.
  8. Kpax7

Reputations:
    Thanks for the nice info!
    Guys like you are keeping insanely mac and modding community alive! I appreciate your hard work man! :cool:

one last question: Does those two pins need to be jumpered till the end of flashing/reading process or should I release the jumper after the boot up?
    tanx

9. timewalker75a

Reputations:
    Override is settled as soon as you pass the POST. At his point ME will not be initialized an FD security will be compromised. You can let go after Dell splash thing.

10. Kpax7

Reputations:
    Logo change tutorial for L502x

There's a software called filescanner, get it here.
    Open up the logo rom above with this! Then it shows all the JPG images inside the Rom, and shows each one of them and their boundaries in hex!
    You must only replace the hex code of some sections of the Rom file. Otherwise you get a black screen.

Requirements:
    a. A Hex editor like HxD
    b. Basic knowledge of hex editing.
    c. Basic knowledge of Phoenix Slic tool.
    d. Custom image with these properties:
    1. Grayscale (256color under test but not verified)
    2. res : 232x307 for Dell logo
    and : 66x28 for XPS logo
    3. size of the custom logo should be below 10KB

Made a logo and then replace these parts from the Logo with the original logo inside Rom.
    Baseline DCT
    Huffman table
    quantization table
    and finally Scan area

So open your Rom file in filescanner and remember the hex code of the beginning and the end of each section then open your custom logo in filescanner and also remember the start and end of each section.
    Then open both the rom file and logo in a hex editor and search those addresses and replace each section with that of the custom logo!
    Both huffman and quantization tables of both logos are usually the same size! (have equal number of bytes) The only difference is the scan area of those logos.
    So you must make a logo with equal or less size than the Dell logo. making equal is nearly impossible, but try to make a smaller logo in size and fill the end of the file with zeros until they get equal.
    Here's a more illustrative example:
    Tutorial.png

Then repack the wph file with the new Rom and flash.
    Good luck