L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So that means you used the App Store version of Mavericks, myHack and Multibeast and all you had to do is check DSDT and FakeSMC? That's almost vanilla, so I guess you can just install all official Apple updates as long as you rerun Multibeast before rebooting. That's really nice, I'm gonna try it this weekend. First on a spare harddisk and if it works to satisfaction, I'll find a way to integrate it in my multiboot.

2. Giullio S.

Giullio S. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again, I've recently repasted my Dell XPS L502X with Arctic Silver 5. Before that I had repasted it with a lower cost thermal paste, and it was with a lot of paste, so I've decided to redo the job with arctic silver 5. To my surprise, my CPU temps went down, and now they are stable, but my VGA temps went up a lot, they are hitting 95ºC and before they were at 80ºC, both unusual temperatures. I've posted this videos at youtube so you guys can see how much paste I've used and how it was before...

Dell XPS L502X Thermal Paste Implastec, Before. - YouTube

Dell XPS L502X Thermal Paste Arctic Silver 5, After - YouTube

Any help?

3. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The first time, you used WAY to much paste (but you already knew that). The second time looks better. But I usually spread the paste evenly over the chips die before mounting the cooler, instead of putting a dot in the middle and trusting on it to spread under the pressure of the cooler. The best is to use a card (like an old creditcard) to scrape all excess paste off the die. After all, the cooling paste is meant to fill the gaps in the material, not to form an insulation layer between die and cooler.

Giullio S. likes this.
  4. agalin

agalin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Squirrel61 nope, to just RUN Mavericks (yes, version from AppStore) I needed only DSDT and FakeSMC - without Multibeast. And yes, I can install updates without any problem (week ago updated to 10.9.1).
    It's not fully working in that mode. So I'm using kexts:
    Voodoo PS2 Controller
    and HDA kext. I need to reinstall this one after update. Without - no sound is detected.
    I'm not sure if I'm using lan card kext (just don't remember).
    These 2 kexts and DSDT, SSDT are available here:
    Link

Oh! And of course USB3 kext! USB2/eSATA is working well (even BluRay connected by eSATA) but USB3 only after installing kext like this

And with that configuration, both sleep and SpeedStep are working well. Not sure about hibernation - didn't tested.

Giullio S. likes this.
  5. thenriques45

thenriques45 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thanks for the effort on those videos thenriques45, linked your videos to the the first post at the heatsinks section :)

thenriques45 likes this.
  7. thenriques45

Reputations:
    Hey capitankasar, my pleasure. It's not much but I do hope that it migth help somenone.

Thanks for the link.

capitankasar likes this.
  8. thenriques45

Reputations:
    Guys, I notice that on the Giullio S video about the thermal paste he show a chip that is located close to the CPU (just to the left side of the black wlan mark on the mainboard). I noticed that he put termal paste there but on my notebook that chip has no termal paste nor it is connected to any heatsink in order to have heat transfered by the termal paste. What is that and does it should have paste on it?

9. immael

immael Newbie

Reputations:
    can i have a question? how much space was left between heatsinks and casing? after you reasembled your notebook are they actualy in contact/touching casing? because heatsing you used (basicaly i didnd find any other) after while, maybe a year, tend to get loose and peel (i read that in reviews, pepole used those heatsings on gpus in pc and they simply fell off, in notebook it could do some serois damage )... but if they are sqeezed between casing and motherboard they could stay there forever.

10. thenriques45

Reputations:
    Immael, it isn't squeezed between the casing and motherboard. There is a chance of then get loose but if they do, there is nothing below it but the case itself, no board, no wires, no microchip. I see that it might be a risk for someone who travel with the notebook or use it in many places but, on my case, I use it as a desktop, connected to a external monitor and keyboard an mouse.

The hack fits me but I see that it may no be fitted to everyone.