L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    huge thanks for all the info :)

I also updated the flash tools with the spipgm version you posted ;)

2. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's my rig:

2014-01-05 13.05.58.jpg

I already disassembled it, because I needed the chip for my computer. But I've put it together again, using a spare bios chip, to be able to take a picture. After 10+ solderings/desolderings, the wires are becoming a bit ragged but it's still working. Since I've got more wires in my home than ZIF sockets, this was the fastest solution for me.

Btw. I've been taking a look at Rayers page about the SPI programmer. Indeed, as Kpax7 mentions, he advised to use 150 ohms resistors and a 1 mF capacitor (which, according to my understanding, means 1 milliFarad, or 1000 uF. This seems far more reasonable to me than 1 uF. But in his current version, he is using 220 ohms resistors, a 100 uF capacitor and a 3.3V voltage regulator. Anyway, the 100 ohms resistors and no capacitor solution worked for me.

3. capitankasar

Reputations:
    not bad :)
    I like it, the design looks very clean and also the tiny wires should make the job easier :)

well, I didnt had sockets arround, but I ordered them, they are a must have when you are going to reprogram them more than once :)

oh, also same for me 100 ohm resistor and no resistor worked for me, and with the socket, the programmer is usually one of my travel items , like the recovery cdrom ^^

edit:

@all

overclocking patch has been tested by Squirrel61 with nice results :)

so all the people here with an unlocked descriptor, feel free to give it a try :)

4. jjjjj_55555

jjjjj_55555 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey everyone long time since I've been on. Look like there been plenty of work being done. If you remember back to around a year ago I did the heatpipe mod and it;s still going strong. I have my laptop nearly always connected to an external monitor to dual screen and I'm still playing games at around 700mhz over clock on the 525m (peak around 80 degrees doing this while gaming).

I got this laptop like 3 years ago now and I still love it. Cost around £400 the from the dell outlet and I was looking at laptops available now ( yes they are thinner) but the processors are now more power efficient with little increase in processing power. The l502x is a solid laptop (a shame the discontinued it) and having bought and returned the new xps 15 which is nice and thin but has problems with throttling due to overheating.

Basically yes my l502x is getting a bit old for games like battlefield 4 but I'm playing other games like Rome 2 fine. For other tasks like internet, AutoCAD and work it still easily copes with ( even beats our old uni desktop pc in AutoCAD). I'll probably just buy a console for proper gaming but selling my this laptop doesn't make sense even 3 years later. Is it me or does the advance in laptop power seem to have stagnated looking at dell now I'm probably paying the same amount for a laptop with similar specs to the l502x ( yes it's thinner and had better battery life but that's not a major plus for me) plus they are probably more likely to overheat due to the ultrabook design so useless for decent gaming.

What do you think?

5. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here's screenshots from my overclocking:

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

I did everything as described in the first post: unlock descriptor, update Intel ME, patch Intel ME, bcdedit command and install XTU. After that, I had to enter the BIOS setup and save the settings (nothing visibly changed) to get it working. As you can see, some settings that normally are unavailable or even invisible are unlocked now.

To me, the Turbo Boost power settings seem to have more potential than the clock adjustment, since the latter only brings you 4-5% advantage before becoming instable, where the Turbo boost gives you around 50% improvement. But when you change the Turbo Boost power, it seems like a good idea to repaste the processor and graphics chip and improve the airflow in your computer, since the system definitely will become hotter!

capitankasar likes this.
  6. thenriques45

thenriques45 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey capitankasar, may you give me information about the Intel ME Firmware.

I have been reading the first post again and notice the section about the Intel ME Firmware, I never updated mine, is any advantage on doing it? I noticed that on the first post you mentioned that by doing it the ability to overclock my be lost, is that true for both updates listed there? Thanks in advance.

Hi jjjjj_55555, you mentioned the heatpipe mod, what mod is it? Thanks.

7. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @CaptainKasar
    in the first post you said :
    Please correct that, because I uploaded the stock ME firmware in my last post for you :)

Also I should say that the ME firmware that SwooshyCueb provided could not be loaded into the chip and crashed my windows.
    I made a Dos bootable flash and tried to flash it via Dos although it flashed successfully but it corrupted my ME and it showed 0.0.0.0 in the bios.

I returned to windows and flashed it with your Moded ME and it went fine ^_^ thanks. So 7.1.60.1193 didn't work for me ....
    I also overclocked my CPU to the highest possible value by playing with the values a lot and found the ideal situation for myself,
    I got fantastic results by doing the following:
    1. Applying Arctic Silver 5 to my CPU, which reduced CPU temps from 92/85 (underload/idle) to 65/55 (underload/idle) and that was incredible. And when I put my system fan at max speed the temps at idle stay at 40 centigrade and when under full load go to 60 max :cool:
    2. The best Clock which gave me maximum performance was 105.3498 I went higher to more than 106 but any value further than 105.3498 would severely lower memory performance and computer performance but I didn't face any system instability.
    The highest temperature during the tests was 82. I used Geekbench 2.4 and Geekbench 3 as they test different workloads on CPU.

And with all above improvements I got around 2000 more score in Geekbench site :biggrin: (From 6600 to 8600 perhaps I removed my previous scores unfortunately) (Any change in Turbo boost settings reduced the performance so I reverted to defaults)
    Boost.png

Geekbench 2.4 Results during the tuning and the highest score in final tuning (8600):
    Geekbench 2 Results.png

Geekbench 3 Results during the tuning and the highest score in final tuning (8614):
    Geekbench 3 Results.png

Huge thanks to CaptainKasar

My idle Temperature with auto fan is 50-55 degrees.
    You guys also try Geekbench and post your results , I wanna see them , specially Squirrel61 because he has the other CPU, mine is 2630QM.
    Thanks

capitankasar likes this.
  8. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @jjjjj_55555

same here, using external monitor + external mouse and keyboard (desktop like) and 700 mhz core on my 525m using 0.85v/0.85v

this laptop is awesome, tiny , cute and powerfull, specially with the truly potential unlocked using all the info from this topic :)

however yeah, it is getting old :(

well, for the games I play, it is OK :)

my next laptop may be an alienware, asus or msi laptop, I want one with already performance base, then I can try enchance its performance with mods :)

@Squirrel61

awesome :)

welcome to the little L502X BCLK overclocking group/gang :D
    just a little people was able to OC it while most of them were just to OC the nvidia GPU :)

yeah, BCLK OC is minimal, however it also OC other componentes like intel hd 3000 graphics, ram memory and other system parts, thats why it is so unstable, but also every mhz you increase supose general improvement :)

my i3 doesnt have turbo, so I cant test other functions and I am stuck with the BCLK OC ^^

arrrgg, I definitly need to get a I5 or I7 proccesor to try this stuff :p

@thenriques45

the intel ME is part of the firmware like the BIOS is, relating what I said, my intel ME overclocking patch has been made from the 7.1.52.1176 update, so I am not sure if the overclocking patch will work with any other ME update.

@Kpax7

well, I tested what you gave to me, and it isnt a ME update, it isnt compatible with the app I used to update the ME firmware on machines with locked descriptor.

your file seems more likely a dump of your ME region using a unlocked descriptor.

so for that reason it cant be used as a update like the ones I have at the first post.

the software you used is the fptw or fptw64, while the one I used to update the ME firmware without accesing the protected zones used by features like OC unlocking is the FWUpdLcl.exe

oh, about that SwooshyCueb update (7.1.60.1193)

I didnt flashed it on my machine due the OC patch and I was unsure it was compatible, for that reason I said it was untested.

wow, nice OC you have there :)

I had to reduce my bclk to 104.48 since it was unstable on higher ones, I wish I could use yours :)

as I can see my patch get the performance even higher on systems with better proccesors, specially on the ones with turboboost ability :)

lets hope more people proceed to unlock their descriptor after those awesome feedbacks :)

9. Kai Dowin

Kai Dowin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello Capt. Kasar,

First I'd like to thank you dearly for all your efforts. This modded bios are absolutely great.

I'd like to give my review too. I'm currently using this version:

It works like a charm! On Windows, my GPU temperatures in game dropped from the upper 90s to the lower 80s. On some lighter games as league of legends, they barely reach 75. Great improvement, overally. I found no issues issues or artifacts at all using stock clocks.

On OS X it behaves greatly and indeed fixed my lid sleep. The audio breaks every time the computer sleeps, but I can easily remount the kexts using terminal and it fix the problem.

-

Lastly I'd like to ask whether you modified the fan behavior on this bios. I think that the fan is kicking in more often (all the time actually), in keeps in this low yet audible speed even in absolute idle. Why do you think this is happening?

Well, once more thank you!

10. capitankasar

Reputations: