L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That sucks! I guess it's the pin 4 pad that came loose? It happened to me too, but I was lucky that it didn't break. When you use a magnifier or microscope, you will notice that immediately to the left of the pad, there is a via (small pinhole that actually connects the pad to a different layer of the board). When you carefully scrape the solder mask (the green paint) off this via, you should be able to solder a thin wire to it to restore the connection with the chip.
    That shouldn't be a problem. Motherboard manufacturers often use different sources for their parts. I looked at the datasheet and the EON chip is fully pin-compatible to the Winbond. Only difference is that the Winbond supports dual and quad mode, which theoretically makes it 2 or 4 times faster, if only these modes where used by the motherboard...

From the fact that you where able to make a screenshot from the flashing process, I guess that you're using the flasher in some kind of Windows environment. Although I got it working under XP, it's preferrable (for stability) to use DOS, like CapitanKasar says.
    - Download Hiren's boot CD from Hiren's BootCD Fan & Discussion Platform
    - Follow the instructions on that site to create a bootable USB stick with the contents from the boot cd.
    - Put CapitanKasar's flash pack in a directory on that stick (I called it spipgm)
    - Boot the stick on the system you're using to flash
    - Select DOS from the main menu (not mini XP!!!!)
    - Select "Next" from the first DOS menu page
    - Select "DOS" from the second menu page
    - Wait until everyting has loaded, this shouldn't take more than 10 seconds.
    - Type C: <enter>, this will change to the USB stick.
    - Type cd spipgm (or whatever you called the directory) to change to the directory with the flashing programs.
    Now follow CapitanKasar's instructions to do what's needed.

capitankasar likes this.
  2. Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BTW. Thanks to CapitanKasar's help, tools and information from the first post, I was able to unbrick my XPS! Thanks a lot!

capitankasar likes this.
  3. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @squirrel61

thanks for your comments :)

glad it worked for you ^^

well spipgm did not work great for me , at least to write, I was able to read stuff, but it did not wrote a single bit, thats why I used flashrom app to write the modified backups.

4. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I used pure DOS to read the EON chip!then went to xp to take pictures.results were the same for dos and windows cmd!yeah i wanted to do the scrap trick myself just waiting for the bios to be flashed...

5. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

before flash anything, ensure you can do a propper dump, it definitly shouldnt be all FF FF FF .....

you should be able to see stuff inside the dump, like the descriptor hex part mentionated in the first post, and some plain text like bios, dell, and some bios strings.

it is really weird it identify your chip as EON chip instead winbond chip, also inside the bios, there are mentions to the winbond chips acording what timewalker said.

however he didnt said anything about EON chips, not sure if there are something wrong with your setup, maybe the LPT port configuration or programmer itself.

it even works for me on a older laptop with LPT port

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I use aditional chips to flash several tests and swap them if needed, also carrying extra chips with working backups is usefull if for some reason I screw the bios and I have not the flasher or another computer with LPT port arround ^^

6. Kpax7

Reputations:
    Today I flashed my Bios successfully. Unlike your bioses it was an EON EN25F32 (4Mb) bios. The info on the chip is very small , pale and brief.
    In such a way that I couldn't even take a photo of the chip info! There are 3 lines on the chip. Only the first and middle line can be read as:

EON
    F32

After making the programmer I realized that SPIPGM detects the chip as "Amtel - Unknown Chip" ...
    I added a 47uf capacitor to the programmer and tested again! Again nothing!

Atml.png

Accidentally when I was tuning the chip leads when my finger was on the Negative wire of the programmer I saw that my chip gets detected !
    I Thought that maybe the capacitor is too much, so I searched for the original Rayer_spi programmer and found that it needs a 1uf capacitor and 150 ohm resistors! Based on the Captainkasar's instructions I bought 1 ohm capacitors and didn't have them so I used the same resistors with a 1uf capacitor.
    Testing again showed me that the programmer needs a Earth wire!! :cool:
    Attached a wire from the negative pole to my computers case and the chip got detected on both the flashrom and spipgm!! Hooray!

EON.JPG

I also realized that the SPIPGM version that CaptainKasar used can't read from my chip, so I used flashrom to read the chip, here's the command:

Code:
    Flashrom.exe -V -p rayer_spi -c EN25F32 -r Backup.rom -o Log.txt

Results:

Code:
    flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1612 on MS-DOS 8 (i686)
    flashrom was built with libpci 3.1.5, GCC 4.4.4, little endian
    Command line (9 args): c:/mod1/flashrom.exe -V -p rayer_spi -c EN25F32 -r EN25F32.rom -o read.log
    Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 50000 usecs, 2760M loops per second, 10 myus = 0 us, 100 myus = 0 us, 1000 myus = 0 us, 10000 myus = 0 us, 200000 myus = 220000 us, OK.
    Initializing rayer_spi programmer
    Using address 0x378 as I/O base for parallel port access.
    Using RayeR SPIPGM pinout.
    The following protocols are supported: SPI.
    Probing for Eon EN25F32, 4096 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x1c, id2 0x3116
    Chip status register is 00
    Found Eon flash chip "EN25F32" (4096 kB, SPI) on rayer_spi.
    ===
    This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
    The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
    version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
    please email a report to flashrom@flashrom.org if any of the above operations
    work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
    output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -Vr,
    -VE, -Vw), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
    Please mention your board in the subject line. Thanks for your help!
    Reading flash... done.

Then I wrote the clean A04 bios file successfully to the chip. After the successful write it said: Verification Failed .
    And my face was like this : :eek:

I was worried and I went and downloaded the latest SPIPGM from the author site and saw that it can read the bios :D
    I read the bios to file and compared it with Hxd to the original bios file and it was all correct !!
    So the flashrom was mistaken on the verification process but it did a very good job on writing and reading the bios.

Code:
    Flashrom.exe -V -p rayer_spi -c EN25F32 -w Bios.rom -o Log2.txt

Results:
    Code:
    flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1612 on MS-DOS 8 (i686)
    flashrom was built with libpci 3.1.5, GCC 4.4.4, little endian
    Command line (9 args): c:/mod1/flashrom.exe -V -p rayer_spi -c EN25F32 -w Bios.bin -o logwrite.txt
    Calibrating delay loop... OS timer resolution is 50000 usecs, 2760M loops per second, 10 myus = 0 us, 100 myus = 0 us, 1000 myus = 0 us, 10000 myus = 0 us, 200000 myus = 220000 us, OK.
    Initializing rayer_spi programmer
    Using address 0x378 as I/O base for parallel port access.
    Using RayeR SPIPGM pinout.
    The following protocols are supported: SPI.
    Probing for Eon EN25F32, 4096 kB: probe_spi_rdid_generic: id1 0x1c, id2 0x3116
    Chip status register is 00
    Found Eon flash chip "EN25F32" (4096 kB, SPI) on rayer_spi.
    ===
    This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
    The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
    version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
    please email a report to flashrom@flashrom.org if any of the above operations
    work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
    output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -Vr,
    -VE, -Vw), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
    Please mention your board in the subject line. Thanks for your help!
    Reading old flash chip contents... done.
    Erasing and writing flash chip... Trying erase function 0... 0x000000-0x000fff:EW, .....  Blah blah blah
    Erase/write done.
    Verifying flash... VERIFY FAILED at 0x00008134! Expected=0xed, Read=0xef, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x003fffff: 0xbe54
    Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
    Get help on IRC at chat.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
    mail flashrom@flashrom.org with the subject "FAILED: <your board name>"!

And here is my things:

My Programmer:
    Board.jpg

My Spiderman and spiderling :laugh::
    EON.jpg
    spiderman.jpg

My laptop open and testing:
    while.jpg

The proof to clean pass bios, OC hacks and updates:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought Arctic silver 5 and repasted my CPU and GPU the temps are fantastic, the CPU power now better!
    [​IMG]

P.S > The Graphics mod still doesn't work!
    2 problems :
    I flashed the Advanced mod with 0.83/0.90 voltage but when I open a 3d software the voltage still goes to 0.98 and system crashes on 99% load with 50 degree temp !!
    I gave up graphics mod it's crap :'(

@Captainkasar, you didn't answer me last time!
    Do I need to underclock the GPU memory or the GPU itself?

Credits:
    Thanks God for making such wonderful things :)
    All credits goes to CaptainKasar for his continued support and help
    Many thanks to Squrrel61 for his valuable info and guiding me to the right direction
    Thanks to the author of Flashrom
    Thanks to the author of SPIPGM , Martin rehek

capitankasar likes this.
  7. ahmedshiko

ahmedshiko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi Kpax7

i forget passwordbios please upload my programmer

8. Kpax7

Reputations:
  9. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

awesome!

so as I can see this is the first password lock removal for this machine :)
    at least using non pay methods :)

thank you for all the explanation :)

oh, as I can see my spipgm from my package is outdated, I will need to update my package to support newer chips and also indicate that there are newer chips thant the winbond ones on the l502x machines.

oh, I noticed you was testing the ME patch in one of your pictures, did you sucesfully unlocked overclocking on your machine? ;)

relating your crashes, underclock both, core and memory until it stop crashing, then raise them until you realize wich was the one crashing, also you will be able to have the highest posible stable clocks :)

however, since this password removal hack seems to work, I can see this being used by the bad guys :eek:

Kpax7 likes this.
  10. Kpax7

Reputations:
    Here's some update on the process:

1. The original circuit of the programmer is as follows:

spipgm.gif

2. The latest version of the software can be downloaded from here:
    http://rayer.g6.cz/programm/spipgm.zip

* Supports both Winbond and EON chips
    * The Flashrom software included in the first post works for both EON and Winbond chips.

3. Here's the Intel ME firmware version 7.0.4.1197 if you ever wanted to downgrade to this original version! Download from here.
    The numbers mean :
    Major version 7
    Minor version 0
    Hotfix version 4
    Build version 1197

Each bios rom consists of these parts: Bios, Descriptor, PDR, GbE, ME
    Here is the software to Cook your own flash rom file from the parts, Download from here.

4. Here's the tool to check your ME version , MEInfo for ME7

Good luck everybody

Attached Files:

capitankasar likes this.