L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Giullio S.

same here, the repaste links I used to be linked to the first post, seems to be gone or with dead images, try looking for soe youtuve videos, the repaste part is easy when the system is already take appart, it is basically remove the old paste and clean the parts, then apply the new paste :)

@Kpax7

I found the A12 bios since some people linked to file from dell's FTP site .)

yeah, you should be able to update to a12 from a04 and also update ME firmware without problems.

however, I insist you to backup the entire 4 mb chip from your system and save it properly with some backups, since it hold unique hardware keys for your system like serial tag and maybe other stuff.

then, you will need to hex edit the a04 dump and do at least following

* replace the serial tag with yours
    * unlock the descriptor

relating crashes, try using the 83/85 v5 bios, and underclock also gpu memory until it stop crashes.

if that also dont work, ther may be phisical damage on your gpu

2. agalin

agalin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    capitankasar likes this.
  3. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ CaptainKasar

Should I underclock the "GPU memory"???? I thought I should underclock the "GPU Clock" not the memory!

How should I replace the serial, where to hex edit?

And also using the 83/85 mod doesn't work, because it's too low for the GPU to work, and when I run a 3D game system turns off immediately!

thanks man

(I'm currently soldering the circuit for the bios, will be tearing the laptop apart in some minutes haha)

4. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

first of all make a backup of your chip using your homemade hardware programmer and ensure it works properly by making several backups of the chip and comparing then to ensure they are identical, two or three dumps should be ok, you can also compare them with HxD hex editor , open the files to compare and press ctrl + K.

if you are going to flash that A04 chip backup to flash on yours, you will need to search for this text string 94FPZP1 , wich is the service tag of that dump.

and then , replace it with your laptop service tag. (you can found your service tag under the laptop on a sticker if you cant access your bios to note it)

I found a 4 coincidences on that dump, so you will need to replace all of them.

to unlock the descriptor and allow software access to your phisicall chip, look for this at the dump (hex values)

00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08

(it is located at the first part of the file)

then change it to

00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 08

this will enable read and write operations to the locked sections from the chip using software.

oh, can you take pics of your homemade programmer and the entire process of your little hardware adventure?

I am really happy someone else than me is finally going to do the bios chip trick :)

5. Kpax7

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for putting your time and effort
    If you didn't give the dump service tag I wouldn't have found it myself :D
    My programmer is a little messy haha :D

But that's ok , I'll put my pictures if it didn't fry my bios :laugh:

P.S. > Didn't you find any more EC tricks ? Just like the Fan mod? That was very nice to change the Fan speed to max ! Thanks for that.
    Don't you know any more values other that 40 (Auto) and 02 (Max)? I've seen tutorials for other motherboards. They're quite different though! They usually have three fields for Fan, one for the (Manual/Auto) one for (Min/Max) and one for specified value (Usually 1 to 8).

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

pleased to help :)

I also like someone is putting effort of hardware modding his machine, that is allways exciting ^_^

dont worry about your programmer, you can see my programers v1 and v2 at the first post, none of them looks really proffesional, but they do its job ^^

as for the moment I didnt found any other EC tricks, however, that shouldnt be difficult, basically is to check the EC while you are doing other stuff like increase brightress, sound, or any other stuff and check what changes on RWE, anyone can try those tests by hiself ;)

mmm, relating to the fan control, I just investigated a little, so I cant confirm there arent more stuff, I based those values on what timewalker said for other laptops and I found the values for the L502X

7. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay then.
    In case you still haven't figured this out yourself, I can show you how to make the fan speed *stick* at certain RPM.
    You may need this in case you are doings some light office work and you don't want your fan to constantly go on and off all the time like it happens by default.

First wait for the fan to kick in... and watch EC data:
    [​IMG]

The number marked in green is your 8 bit FLVL register, which shows fan level state:
    0 = 0 RPM or OFF
    1 = ~ 2700-3700 RPM
    2 = ~ 4200 RPM
    3 = > 4500 RPM

The numbers marked in red are two 8 bit registers FANH and FANL which make up a 16 bit concatenation that shows current fan speed in HEX form. In the example above the current RPM of the fan was 3809 RPM, which is the lowest setting that is being set by Dell's SMI protocol from EC on my Vostro).

Numbers marked in blue are your DTS (digital thermal sensor) readings, register 0x5A is CPU die temperature and 0x5B is PCH die temperature. These are the ones you will need to monitor somehow when locking the fan up at one single speed.

So.. the fan has kicked in, what do you do?
    1. Set FLVL (green) register to 0, making the bios think that temperature has already decreased and fan needs to be turned off. Typically when temps are really high FLVL will have a value of 2 and you can't really set 0 at this point as it will be immediately overridden by SMI protocol, so wait till it drops to 1.
    2. As you set fan level to 0 watch fan speed registers drop values gradually. The value of FANL will change rapidly while FANH will slowly go down to 0x0A and then fan will turn off completely. So be quick on your decision about what kind of fan audibility you want.
    3. When you just about satisfied with fan speed (you can monitor it wit AIDA64 or something for easier reading) you set TCTL (tachometer control) bit to 0. This locks the fan in manual mode. The TCTL bit is part of register 0x60 that has default value of 0x40 which mean that TCTL bit is set. You need to clear it in order to lock the fan at certain speed. FLVL register will change to 0xFF indicating that auto mode is no longer active.

So when you are done it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

To revert everything back just restore TCTL bit and the auto mode will take over.

yegg55 and capitankasar like this.
  8. Kpax7

Reputations:
    @ timewalker

What a complicated setting :D
    Couldn't have figured it out on my own!!!
    Thanks, good to know it.
    But I couldn't also figur wifi switch and brightness hotkeys in EC.

@ Captainkasar

I hate "Made in china " hate hate hate....
    In the moment I was removing the bios one of the Motherboard leads was removed with the bios so the MB is F***ed :mad:
    Not that I'm armature , it was so delicate and removed with no pressure or high temperature !!
    Anyway I proceded to flash the bios but realized that the programmer detects my bios as EON EN25F32 !! !! It's not winbond
    only My EC chip is winbond 25x80B

bios.JPG

I watched closely and read the chip info and saw that the chip reads: "EON EN32" :eek:

Then opened the Readme file and saw that it's supported by the programmer ...
    Then tried to back it up when the backup process finished i opened it with hex editor and it was all FF :nah:
    The backup file is totally empty :'(

What should I do now?

9. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @timewalker

as allways great info, rep added, you rocks!

:)

@kpax

well, you may be able to save the board by soldering on the trace where it got broken.

my advice is remove the chip pins one per one, with a small knife slowly by applying heat with the soldering iron and lifting the legs with the knife, very carefully because the pins are so fragile and also if you apply so much heat, the chip will be damaged.

something is wrong with the programmer then, it shouldnt detect your main chip as that.
    you should get some kind of replies like this

[​IMG]

I took those pictures while modding my bios some time ago.

however, definitly your backup shoulnt be FF

check your programmer connections and that the chip is on the correct way.

also try on different computer with different LPT port or check the LPT port configs in the desktop bios

10. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If only someone had skill to automate this kind of process into a windows application.
    Technically it's not even necessary to use EC monitoring (as in reading/writing to it) nor accessing Dell's SMI which both create huge amounts of lag.
    In OS X I can have custom SSDT ACPI table with a set of methods that are being polled with certain interval and this allows me to code any kind of fan behavior that I desire, not in Windows, unfortunately. AIDA64 accesses DELL ACPI in the same manner, it just reads value from EC memory accessing ACPI and displays them conveniently.

capitankasar likes this.