L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chris89

chris89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You have either too little voltage or 2 much heat, it's one of the two regardless of bios. Switch back to 100% stock bios no need for event log we know whats up.

Install AIDA64 Extreme 4.00.2700 to monitor PCH temps go in and enable vista sidebar support and add the aid64 gadget on your desktop. PCH temps are very high on the L502X because they have no heatsink on the PCH chip core. Voltage regulators over heat too when overclocked.

Manually mod your fan to 100% by removing the yellow wire on the l502x or do it in windows like they explained in previous posts via "SpeedFan".

Use EVGA Precision while in game for osd and link up aida64 external applications to display cpu temp, and pch temp while in game over the EVGA OSD. Take screenshots of all the AIDA64 sensors in the sensor page and post the screenshots here.

Then we can have an idea of what's going on. Not only that but while your under load in game or whatever feel the power supply and tell us if it's scorching hot or whatever....

Good Luck :D

2. ahmedshiko

ahmedshiko Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

no reset it removing the bios battery

3. Kpax7

Kpax7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ Captainkasar

Hello
    I want to flash the EC chip on the Mother board in order to clear the bios passwords (Modding explained here)
    (I can't get support from Dell because this is a second hand laptop I bought and the laptop came from Japan :p)
    Some one successfully removed the password by reprogramming the chip but I don't find a programmer in my local market. Can I use the programmer from your first post to flash this chip also? is it safe?
    This chip must be flashed :
    EC.jpg
    Is it the same chip that you flash for OC?
    (I also have the clean ROM)
    Thank you so much for your all hard work

capitankasar likes this.
  4. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

hey :)

the chip you are pointing on that picture is the 4 mb one, the one I used to unlock descriptor, and mod the ME region to enable OC on mine

I can tell you that the L502X have two main flash winbond chips

first one is the W25x40vsig wich is 512 kbit size

[​IMG]

I suspect this chip contains the EC region and that it save some configurations and minor stuff, since, I didnt focused on this flash chip since it didnt had the information I wanted to focus at, and also it was in a dificult place to desolder it or install a socket, as you can see it is really close to a bigger chip with really tiny legs, and with a normal soldering iron, it can create troubles if I accidentally touch those small legs/pins, so I dont have backup/dump from this chip or a way to access it.

the other chip is a W25Q32BV
    wich is 4 mbit size

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wich store the descriptor, bios, ME, and maybe other stuff, this is the one I modded.

it is basically the one you are pointing on that picture.

however the EC one is probably the one from 512 kb, wich I didnt accesed yet, I'm almost sure the programmer pointed on this topic will be able to access it, but I have no backup of it

5. Fayt666

Fayt666 Newbie

Reputations:
    Told ya that nothing on DX is there.

Like 05-15 FPS on dx11. 35-65 dx9. and huge overheat and crash on dx11.

6. Kpax7

Reputations:
    @ Captainkasar
    That's Great info, Happy to hear that. So the bios passwords are stored on the 4Mb chip. I'm gonna build that programmer soon , it's easy to build and use!
    Both Roms for the EC chip (512KB) and the Main chip (4MB) are available at Badcap forums by Gruiji...
    Tell me if you needed tham and the download links were unavailable.
    I have a big question in mind. When we flash the your Bios Mods using the Phoenix winflash utility, does it flash the same (4MB) chip ? Or it only modifies some parts of it? Because flashing it using Phoenix winflash didn't clear the bios password.

Thank you so much for your friendly support...

ahmedshiko likes this.
  7. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Kpax7

are you talking about those ones?

Badcaps Forums - View Single Post - dell inspiron L502X NO POWER

I already downloaded them

I checked the 4 mbit one and I noticed that dump is from an old A04 version.

however I need to confirm the computrace setting status on it.

it would be nice to get a dump with computrace option untouched, so it let to enable or disable it instead having it greyed out.

about your question, the bios mod update only flash parts of it, thats why I needed to access phisically the chip to unlock the descriptor settings and access to some protected areas, like the ME region settings.

so yeah, you can flash those dumps, or well, at least the 4 mb one

anyway you must allways backup your chip first, because you will need it in case something goes wrong or at least to read your serial number.

thats it, you will need to modify the a04 dump with your serial number, and maybe other info.

I also suggest to unlock the descriptor settings using the hex values from the first post :)

8. theruan

theruan Newbie

Reputations:
    @chris89
    I can't get the gadget 'cause i'm on windows8, so i'm doing it manually.
    I have no games anymore, cause none was working :( but i will try to download one tonight to test it.

So far i checked and didn't find anything that could be a huuuuge problem, the temperatures are a bit high even in idle right now as my ambient temperature is high too :( around 30º C

Do u know what should be the VID correct value?
    Mine shows always floating from 830mV up to 1,211mV

Is there anyway to check the voltage that comes from the power source?(i mean while i'm using the computer), outside the computer my 130w power supply gives me 19.05 or 19.5V, don't remember the exact value.
    I will check the speedfan and all temps while playing and report back.
    maybe i can finally fix this :(

Is the PCH the actual sound controller?
    Intel Cougar Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [B3]
    i found this on hwinfo64 btw

Things are starting to make sense to me, Most of the times when i had errors the only thing that keep running as usual was audio, i could never disable it completely to test.

Field Value
    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type Dell ACPI (ACPI)

Temperatures
    Motherboard 51 °C (124 °F)
    CPU 52 °C (126 °F)
    CPU Package 63 °C (145 °F)
    CPU IA Cores 63 °C (145 °F)
    CPU GT Cores 63 °C (145 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 62 °C (144 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 58 °C (136 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #3 56 °C (133 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #4 59 °C (138 °F)
    PCH Diode 60 °C (140 °F)
    Temperature #1 52 °C (126 °F)
    ST9750420AS 43 °C (109 °F)
    SAMSUNG HM500JI 38 °C (100 °F)

Cooling Fans
    CPU 2782 RPM

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 0.841 V
    Battery 12.817 V

Power Values
    CPU Package 5.59 W <<< Are these ok? I have no clue.
    CPU IA Cores 1.63 W
    CPU GT Cores 0.28 W
    CPU Uncore 3.68 W
    Battery Charge Rate AC Line

Update:

No game to run yet, but i did a long run(about 20 min) of the system stability test in aida64 and got this at the end, btw to force a system overheat i used ThrottleStop for some time by forcing turbo boost to stay active, (IF U DO IT TOO, MAKE SURE TO NOT KEEP IT RUNNING FOR A LONG TIME) as it can get very high temps in a very short time.
    PCH never went over 73º C which doesn't mean that it isn't the guilty one.
    Need to test in game, something may be using it more than the stability test.

Field Value
    Sensor Properties
    Sensor Type Dell ACPI (ACPI)

Temperatures
    Motherboard 61 °C (142 °F)
    CPU 68 °C (154 °F)
    CPU Package 87 °C (189 °F)
    CPU IA Cores 87 °C (189 °F)
    CPU GT Cores 86 °C (187 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #1 86 °C (187 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #2 87 °C (189 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #3 82 °C (180 °F)
    CPU #1 / Core #4 81 °C (178 °F)
    Chipset 53 °C (127 °F)
    PCH Diode 71 °C (160 °F)
    iGPU 87 °C (189 °F)
    Temperature #1 68 °C (154 °F)
    ST9750420AS 51 °C (124 °F)
    SAMSUNG HM500JI 42 °C (108 °F)<<< external device

Cooling Fans
    CPU 4556 RPM

Voltage Values
    CPU Core 0.931 V
    Battery 10.760 V
    GPU Core 0.850 V

Power Values
    CPU Package 19.60 W
    CPU IA Cores 14.25 W
    CPU GT Cores 0.33 W
    CPU Uncore 5.02 W
    Battery Charge Rate -69.16 W

Is there anyway to set the fan on bios? as far as i can see the fan seems not to be triggered by temperature at all, my system is still around 70ºC and the fan is almost turned off, aff
    I really don't want to keep it running at full speed. :(

9. Giullio S.

Giullio S. Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've opened my dell XPS L502X and repasted it, but I've done a ty job and used a crappy paste because I didn't had the knowledge that I have now, so the temps went up... I will repaste it in a few days with Artic Silver 5, Is there any problem using this paste? It's a Metal-based Thermal Interface Material (80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests) And since this is a notebook I don't know if there is any difference.

Also, Is there any tutorial or tip of repasting the dell xps L502x? I've found one link but all images are gone =/

Even with the repasting, despite the temps going up, the freezing issue didn't changed in any way. I've tested with default settings 672Mhz, and it froze, with 600Mhz, my core clock before the repasting, it didn't freeze even with the temps going up. This justify my theory of non-heat related issue... Now we only have to find the very cause of it... I'm starting to think that's maybe it's bad programming or some other thing, I still have to try the 150W charger..

10. Kpax7

Reputations:
    @ CaptainKasar

I bought some tools and Resistors today, I'm gonna do the flashing tomorrow, I hope I won't lose my bios coz it's too hard to find another one here :)
    If I flash it with the A04 then I can flash your Mods again to A12 , right?

A mysterious thing is that in my Dell account under my laptop drivers the latest release is A10, I wonder how you found A12 update!
    Another question is that what's the improvement to update the Intel MEI ?
    And also the strange thing is that Intel has recently removed all drivers relating to this laptop from their download center!!!
    Including : Intel MEI drivers, Intel Mobile Express chipset drivers (Intel 6 series mobile ), etc ...
    I'm amazed :eek:

Another disappointing point is that I tried most of your Graphic card mods on bios and none of them worked for me, still freezes on games. even underclocking the GPU doesn't help. The temp goes to 68 and then freezzzzzzz. I even applied Arctic silver 5 on that!!!

@ Giullio S.

Here's the guid to Repaste:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/ss/intel_app_method_surface_spread_v1.1.pdf

From my experience, Arctic Silver 5 is perfect for CPU and lowers the temp by 7-8 degrees but on the GPU not good.
    My GPU before repasting was 43 degree at idle and now is 55 degree :O
    No matter what you do the paste I tried a lot. I've heard that Deepcool Z9 is better for GPU...