L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. chris89

chris89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I found that 320.49 causes the least amount of issues since i tested the beta drivers and noticed some weird hitching in some games. You can run 775 maybe 800 core clock if ur fan is at 100% too :)

This ultra low profile heatsink can be used to cool the cpu voltage regulators and the gpu regulators, but they both may be together. So the vregs are by the cpu socket but also may be found around the gt540m...

1 of these heatsinks per VREGS, meaing one can cool all of the individual regulators. Add them using thermal adhesive, mod vga bios to 100% fan or pull "PWM" probably yellow since red is positive and black is negative so yellow has to be PWM signal. I'd just mod vga bios to 100% it's easier and u can revert without pulling the laptop apart again.

The cpu socket is in the middle, to the left is the gpu, top is northbridge. If the northbridge doesn't have a heatsink on it or any cooling from the stock heatsink. It will require an additional heatsink to keep things stable. There are tons of vulnerable spots to make this laptop fail over time, Not unlike ALL other manufacturers. These chips NEED to be cooled for long long life span. However we should all learn to except engineers and companies cut corners to make more $$$$$$$$$. So it's not about a Superior product, it's about making a crappy product PRETTY so people will buy it. Go Eurocom as your next laptop company, it will NEVER disappoint because there is NO SUCH THING as INSTABILITY on Eurocom laptops. Eurocom laptop bios have an enormous amount of options/ features since the company writes custom made bios to all laptops. Chalked full of out of the box overclocking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

capitankasar likes this.
  2. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah crap, I just repasted my laptop this summer too. Maybe I messed something up when putting it back together. Took the heat sink off after initial paste application to see if it was spreading evenly and just stuck it back on without more paste.

I ended up disabling turbo boost after a trial run with HT off. I end up still crashing with turbo on, much less often with only HT on and cooling off periods between games. Also dropped the clock speed of my GT540m down a bit to help...

3. chris89

Reputations:
    Yeah pull it apart and clean the heatsink and chips off flawlessly. Then first set the heatsink back on and make sure it doesn't teeter totter on the chip if the heatsink isn't sitting flat. Bend it a couple times and put the heatsink back on and look at the contact of the GPU and CPU at an angle to see what kind of contact your getting. It needs to be PERFECTLY flat on the CPU and GPU to get perfect cooling performance. Once you get it bent just right be VERY careful not to bend it out of whack.

Just add a dot to the cpu/ gpu/ northbridge if the northbridge is cooled. Then use your finger to spread a thin layer perfectly even across the DIODE. Then place heatsink on and press on the heatsink directly above the CPU/ GPU/ Northbridge DIODE to make sure contact is perfect. Then tight in CRISS-CROSS like tightening a Cylinder head on an engine, or Lug nuts on a car. That way you don't have all the pressure on the left side of the chip. You want EVEN contact.

GOOD LUCK BUDDY :D

4. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I dont think I can bend the heatsink. If I remember correctly, its a pretty thick bar of copper. I'll try repasting again over thanksgiving break. :x Damn, this laptop is a to take apart. Also, the repasting guide had all its images removed I think xD Thanks for your help though.

5. chris89

Reputations:
    Once you do it enough you'll have it apart in 5min.... 20 to perfect the re-paste, 5 to put back together.

Shouldn't be too bad. Good luck

Sometimes you need to make sure contact is perfect with these cheap laptops it's crap quality so they bend once touched.

Insure perfect contact and bend the pipe if needed to ensure perfect contact and the pipe bends easy just bend tiny amounts of needed... obviously you have issues with the heatsink connection because 95C is poor connection/ poor re-paste. A poor re-paste won't do 95C because it will be a complete disconnection with zero contact well 5% or so if its hitting 95C it throttled or it wouldn've hit 150C in a hurry. If the repaste is done right, right away you will see 30C on CPU and GPU at idle and maybe 75-80C Max in turbo hyper threading mode with full cpu/ gpu load. I see 65C on gpu and maybe 80C on the 3Ghz turbo boosted 2720qm with Hyper threading enabled... I only see 80C when under insane gpu/ cpu load. Just Insure a Perfect re-paste and dial back the clock on the cpu via Windows power options the max percentage to 99% to start and maybe 95% if it's still too hot. Just an FYI all games on the planet right now run perfectly with no reduction in fps at just 1.6Ghz with hyper threading enabled and temps are super low... That's what I do...

[​IMG]

NovaTornado likes this.
  6. bassemmixez

bassemmixez Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello my friend
    i try play Fifa 14 demo but it still stutter :(

any other solution for this ???

7. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @chris89

<3333 you for that last post edit

http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...wnload-gpu-voltages-more-224.html#post9374460

how do you attach the heatsinks? well, more specifically how you prevent them from get away from the regulators, hotglue? you use thermal paste also?

PS: those eurocom laptops really looks great, I think my next laptop will be one of that ;)

@bassemmixez

if you are already using the undervolted bios, you may have to underclock the gpu core a little too.

it is on 675 by default

try move it to 650, or 640

chris89 likes this.
  8. bassemmixez

Reputations:
    i flash the version that u give me it .
    How i underlock the gpu ??
    using program or what ?

9. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @bassemmixe
    yes, use msi afterburner, it is at the first post.

anyway, how your gpu temps are going? you may need to repaste it and remove the dustfilters if you didnt yet.

10. bassemmixez

Reputations: