L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. felipeap92

felipeap92 Newbie

Reputations:
    @capitankasar

And here i`m with my final feedback (i hope)... After i installed the new Unlocked Menu version A12, and the problems just disappears (in default clock: 672ghz)
    Just after i installed it i played:
    Dota 2: 3h in a roll, and later played more 2h and no freeze/crashes
    Tomb Raider 2013: 4h in a roll, but i got one crash (i kind forced it, i minimized the game with some others programs open, maxmized again and start shooting), after that, no more crashes on Tomb Raider.
    Borderlands 2: played for 6h in a roll and nothing! played alot more later and nothing either =]

I think the temperature is a little better, and the FPS keeps the same =]
    One other thing i realized is that after i installed the new BIOS Version i updated my Geforce driver for newest driver (314.22 -> 320.49), my FPS decreased in Dota 2 (like 10 fps), and almost nothing in Borderlands 2 and Tomb Raider 2013, but i dont know if it is Geforce Driver fault or the new BIOS version.. but the crashes stopped and FPS keeps playable for me (almost full settings on all games)

If i get another information, problem or anything i will put in here

Thanks for your help and for this great thread!! Keep doing this AMAZING job you did and are doing =]

2. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @felipeap92

thanks for the feedback ^^

so it seems your issues dissapeared with the version I suggested right? :)

and yeah, some driver versions have some impact in FPS in some specific games.

added you to the first post as bios tester/user.

have a nice gamming woithout crashes, hehe ;)

3. felipeap92

felipeap92 Newbie

Reputations:
    @felipeap92

You`re welcome
    Yes, right after i installed the new BIOS version and the new NVIDIA driver, all worked just fine =]

4. agalin

agalin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok there are some informations about running Win8 under UEFI, because red text on first post isn't fully correct :)

1. WiFi button doesn't work, freezes the system.
    2. Any other button works normally.
    3. Touch buttons 2 and 3 (configurable and waves) needs originally QuickSet to work, but installing QuickSet or any of it's components will freeze pc, so you need another software to use them. I used AutoHotkey - keyboard codes are 104 (Waves) and 105 (configurable). I'll add there my config fle (you can edit it and use by Autohotkey, it's easy to compile it into exe and add to autostart) as example. http://sdrv.ms/1e5RV0X
    4. Touchpad works normally. For me best driver is from L421x (this works well) - there is option to disable touchpad when mouse connected (FN+F3 won't work with this driver) and adds touchpad shortcuts for Win8
    5. It stopped working for me at Bitlocker password screen 3 times... Don't know why. Restart helps. Edit. After many months it seams to be some bug in PS2 connection - some boots (1 per 20? 50? Don't know) just disable keyboard and touchpad. Just restart.
    6. Any QuickSet application will not be usable! Dell battery/power options or Mobility Center expansion too! That means using your backlit keyboard can be irritating :p Even if you unpack msi package and try to use only one component, system will freeze when you run it as admin (and it just doesn't work if you don't).
    7. Flashing BIOS works without any problems.
    8. Leds (wifi and battery) works well. You can't disable wifi by shortcut, but Win8 has built-in Airplane option, so it's a not real problem.
    So using UEFI isn't really problematic. :D
    Win7 works worse on UEFI for me - crashes when installing ethernet driver and Quickset still doesn't work.

Other OSes:

Linux: The only one OS where disable WiFi button works. There's option to boot kernel directly from F12 menu (using efi string), but string is too long and you'll be unable to get into boot order section in BIOS settings (still can change them through EFI shell or Linux command line).

OS X: using Clover as bootloader and changing WiFi card makes this OS just awesome. Works nearly perfectly. But without Geforce. So without HDMI too. Other things can work when proper kexts installed (not tested card reader). Need test if it was imagination or OS X was working longer on battery than Windows (Yosemite vs 8.1).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  5. capitankasar

Reputations:
    thanks agalin, edited the first post and linked to your post ;)

6. striker_lt

striker_lt Newbie

Reputations:
    ...allright guys, today i found out something weird...
    First of all i have to say, that i connected my FullHD TV via HDMI Cable and a 'DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter' at the DisplayPort of my L502x. Sounds strange, but if u connect your TV via HDMI directly, in office mode the NVIDIA GPU works all the time (much power consumption and heat). The integrated Intel GPU uses the Display Port.. In gaming the NVIDIA GPU uses Display Port too. So far so good.

Now the strange thing is: with the TV directly HDMI conneted, the workload at gaming is 99%.... with displayport adapter solution the workload only reaches about 80% and the fps are decreases by ~10...
    Anyone else noticed this or have an explanation??

best regards, striker_lt :hi2:

7. capitankasar

Reputations:
    yeah, you are right, the integrated display and the minidisplay port are hardwired to the intel graphics, while the hdmi output is directly conected to the nvidia card, so the intel gpu cant be used from hdmi port.

about the gpu ussage, that is curius, many of my games uses the 99% of my GPU by using the minidisplay port connected to a vga adapter and then to a 1440x900 monitor.

maybe it is a driver issue, try updating the intel and nvidia drivers to the latest one from the intel and nvidia sites.

8. agalin

agalin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm... It seams to me that if you try to boot from other device (F12) in UEFI mode and it doesn't complete successfully, you lose option to use F2 or F12 in boot 0_o maybe reason is other, but I got this second time in two weeks... Actually I found only one solution - reflash BIOS... (both on 0.87 BIOS... changing to 0.85...)

9. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @agalin

mmm, did you changed any setting in BIOS wich could be interfering with that?

reflash using my batch script also reset bios settings to default, that could be the issue.

well, a rare issue happened to me it was I lost some intel ME functionality some days ago, I noticed when the controls unlocked using my overclocking patched ME were missing, tried to reinstall intel XTU, ME drivers and reflash my ME patch, but nothing worked.

however by reflashing the main BIOS mod and reseting the settings worked also for me, we will have to identify if the flash itself fix some issues, or there are just some bad setup config creating issues that can be fixed by loading bios default setings on the BIOS setup

10. timewalker75a

timewalker75a Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you try to boot from Windows installation media it attempts to add a new bcfg entry to nvram and sets it as 1st order entry thus overriding original F2 hotkey (F2 and F12 are first boot entities). The only option to revert this is to invoke WinFlash with /cvar flag ... this is poor Tiano implementation. On Samsung its even worth, it bricks the laptop for good. The funny thing is, Samsung never locked UEFI.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 4 Beta