L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I ran the same test and I can also see an improvement

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3047/screenshot126i.jpg

The 2630QM normally scores 5600, but I was able to get 6433 with fast strings enabled and increasing the turbo timeout. (Just above a 2720QM!)

Although it's increased by quite a bit, it's a 14% increase in score whereas you have gained a 20% increase in score. Both impressive improvements I must say :)

Yet again, your modded BIOS ceases to impress me :)

I'm afraid I haven't been following this thread closely for a while (getting busy with school) but how have things been things going recently? (For yourself and your mods! :D)

That's why I generally avoid beta updates, unless they improve a game which I own!

2. nidaba

nidaba Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I have a question, can we update Intel ME Firmware on non modded bios?

3. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @zombiefan

try cleaning the dust from the system, or reducing the OC , try also the solution posted by NovaTornado

@NeoMesal

glad you also archived higher results with this BIOS :)

yeah, we have to keep getting the most of this machine, because even it is getting old, it still is a nice laptop :)

well, about updates, there arent any recent updates at the bioses, the A12 v5 versions are the latest ones.

I found by myself some time ago a way to unlock BCLK overclocking , and documented it at the first post, but since it involve hard hardware mods, it seems no one decided to try it.

well, about me, I had few personal issues during last week, but well, I still here ^_^

thanks for caring :)

@nidaba

you can use the ME update on stock bioses too.

however, you cant view the ME version at the bios with the stock one.

if you are talking about the ME hack to enable overclocking I relased, it require more stuff.

but if you are going to the normal ME update, it is fine :)

4. Mang0

Mang0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is anyone else getting really high load temps with the 320.00 beta driver? also, could you do a .80/.83 mod for 525m?

5. NovaTornado

NovaTornado Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea, I'm getting really high temps with 320.00. Laptop started overheating again, even with modded .83/.85 bios for 540m. Gonna go downgrade it now that you also verified that GPU driver is causing funny issues.

6. Mang0

Reputations:
    Tried the 314.22 driver, now it just idles at 100% load at 3D at 90 degrees.

7. Mang0

Reputations:
    Still idles at 100% load but turns out my heatsinks were also loose.

8. Brwaap

Brwaap Newbie

Reputations:
    Dear Capitankasar,

I would like to update my L502X with I72630QM and 540M from 4GB RAM to 8GB 1600mhz RAM, possibly that Kingston 8GB 1866mhz hyperx.

This laptop is only used for audio apps like Traktor Pro, Ableton or Cubase, no games at all so I'm not bothered about graphic performance.

I understand I need to mod the bios so I can get the faster frequencies of the RAM to work. Could you direct me in the right direction as to what bios mod to perform? Or should I just not tamper with advanced bios settings and buy regular 1333mhz 8GB RAM, maybe a SSD later on in order to keep a stable audio system?

If the answer has already been given, I apalogize but I haven't managed to read all 188 pages of the thread yet.

Thanks in advance.

9. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Brwaap

well, not sure if it absolutly required but I heard many users had to install a modded bios in order to flash get the correct memory frequencies working.

relating your GPU specs, I recomend you to install this one

http://l502x.lag.re/L502X_A12_540m_83_85_Unlocked_Menus_v5.rar

you can change the bios memory settings, 1600 mhz memory work fine with this bios, 1866 mhz may work too, but no one tested it yet, still waiting for someone to test it.

however 1866 may also need compatible proccesor.

10. chris89

chris89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    DDR3-1600 is ideal even for the ultimate high end systems which can yield upwards of 30GB/s on a desktop

There's no way to obtain even DDR3-1600 speeds on a laptop because DDR3-1600 can do almost 30GB/s when using three sticks in triple channel.

Laptops use typically two slots so whats more important than anything if your looking to "upgrade your ram" is to make sure both sticks are exactly the same. Because memory loves symmetry, especially the core i7's.

Here's my system running an Asymmetrical configuration by using 1 stick of 4gb ddr3-1333, and 1 stick of 2gb ddr3-1333. I'm seeing incredible memory performance when in top speed turbo boost mode. So basically you have nothing to gain by going beyond ddr3-1333 on a laptop, unless memory capacity is of concern. For me 6gb is way more than enough even for insane multitasking like say running 10 xp virtural machines and gaming it up while firefox is open with 150 tabs. If your just itching for a change get a better cpu that supports DDR3-1600 being what I have the 2720QM+.

2 Sticks of say 8GB DDR3-1600 on a 2720QM (as what I'm running) would yield some huge performance. However the ram doesn't do much when your I/O can't display it to you at even 1/1000th the speed the cpu/ram can. See your ram can write at say 20GB/s and your hard drive can only write at say 200MB/s that's where the bottleneck is. I say run 2 SSD's in RAID0 and keep your current ram and let the SSD's eat up beyond 1GB/s or 1,000MB/s. :)

What are you looking to gain exactly? Get a better cpu like a 2720QM and get a 16GB kit of DDR3-1600 and be golden. Or just be happy with what ya got.

[​IMG]

Even if u had a 2860QM -

Memory Specifications
    Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
    Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333/1600
    # of Memory Channels 2
    Max Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s
    ECC Memory Supported
    No

2630QM -

Memory Specifications
    Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 16 GB
    Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333
    # of Memory Channels 2
    Max Memory Bandwidth 21.3 GB/s
    ECC Memory Supported
    No

@ capitankasar

How's it going bro? I have found out why 800Mhz wasn't working it was the fan/thermal paste. I bought an aftermarket chinese DC 5V 0.50A fan to replace my original being DC 5V 0.40A. The old fan spun up to 4,600rpm on it's best days but typically after wear 4,100-4,300rpm. This new chinese DC 5V 0.50A fan is unreal! It turns out a blistering 5,200rpm and man can you tell a difference. On top of that the Shin-Etsu X23-7783D is some unreal stuff and in combination my temps are killing my old temps. I even have it on Fluctuation mode with the PWM pin to adjust it and it runs hotter yes however its very stable and fan overhead per say is very high.

Anyway I was wondering if you knew the battery discharge rate was on the L502X? I upgraded my 5200mah 6 cell to a 7200mah 9 cell and my ASUS K53SV power consumption on battery seems a bit high. Say I have 72,000mWh of capacity, my ASUS is eating it up at 26,000mW per hour. I use AIDA64 to monitor power consumption. Some people say they are sitting at like 10-15,000mWh discharge rate while being 35,000mWh in game. My idle usage is pretty darn high and doesn't change. My battery life isn't that great even on the 9 cell so I think it's something with my laptop. Maybe it's such high performance it's not capable of being good on battery life (idk).

Thanks