L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yep I saw you at the Bios mod forum ^_^
    lmao xDDDD, you made me to consider it, an alienware would be definitly nice way to keep ppl quiet hehe.

well, I supose I will try anyway, at least to see what kind of answer the email back (in case they even answer :p)

2. daryld1988

daryld1988 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    great news on the possible finding of other options in the bios, just give me a heads up if u need any testing done cheers again capitankasar great work

3. Risco

Risco Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    CapitanKasar, I just seen that one of the guys in your bios-mods forum has found the holy grail. The fan trip speeds for off/med/high! I would be very happy if you could unlock this option so I can tweak it! The fan speed is one of the biggest complaints about this laptop.

4. tvdang7

tvdang7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Used the undervolted 540m bios and it locks my computer up after long idles or long gaming sessions. I think my gpu needs more voltage.

5. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @daryld1988

thansk, I will let u know if I need help while testing some options ;)

@Risco

yep, that is true, I noticed about a lot of users complaining about the laptop fan.

thanks for the info.
    can you provide the link/s about the place you saw the Fan unlocking? (I'm just following one or two topics at the another forum, so I probably missed it)

then I will check what I can do.

@tvdang7

oh, that is weird, cause you also reported the locks also happen with long "idle" time, and as far I know the 2d profile is used when no intensive graphics are running and there are no other apps using the nvidia card, I also didnt modified the 2D profile for the 540m.

it may pick the 3d profile for some app in the background, but not sure about your software setup.

anyway it looks like in your case, it is unstable with the 3d profile lowered voltages, I suggest getting back to the original bios, or if it still crashing try a overvolted BIOS of this topic

@all
    did someone else experienced crashes/locks with the 540m undervolted bios?

6. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    No crashes for me Capitan. I'm using your A09 undervolted bios for the 540m.

7. rabbitz

rabbitz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Had a lockup but turned out to be my ssd dying. Otherwise it has been running perfectly =P

8. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have had lockups - been pushing the GPU oc'ing a bit to far! :D

Otherwise all is fine.

9. buch3r

buch3r Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Using undervolted mod A09 on my 525m, temps got to 60c while playing saints row 3, no problems at all with stability. I did not have problems before, but if I can lower voltage and temps I'm happy. Thanks again.

10. capitankasar

Reputations:
    thanks for the feedback guys :)
    it seems the lower voltage is stable for the most.

@buch3r

allright, I just made another version for the 525m based on the A09 BIOS.

both profiles are 0.83v (iddle and games), anyway there are high chances it will become unstable with such low voltages, I think I tried some time ago with my card and it had some freezes due the extreme low voltage, but maybe yours can handle it.

well, 0.83v is the minimal ammount of voltage wich can be set via software tools without hardware hacks as far I know, so you can give it a try, if your card can not handle it, go back to the 0.85v/0.85v version,feedback plz ^_^