L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Kitsunemimi

thx :)

yeah, it has been a while since it stoped working, hopefully the homemade programer + BIOS sockets + new bios chips solution worked :)

I am very happy with the hardware modifications, I noticed I can even change the machine serial number or MAC address by editing the chip image and flashing, this definitly allow way more control over the machine than before :)

however the bad news is that many of the future modifications including those, will probably not avalible for all unless you phisically mod the motherboard like I did, because software dont have access to those protected regions, it is just posible with hardware programer.

this means I will probably unable to make software update packages like the ones included at this topic including the ME7 to ME8 update or descriptor settings unlock.

about the 1866 memory, well the same history repeats again and again ^^

the setting is unlocked, and it is already there, it is just that no one made the tests yet with compatible memory ^^

so if you want to be the first one to test it, it would be nice :)

many users will probably love your feedback including me :D

oh, I just uploaded your requested BIOS :)

however it is only avalible at mediafire yet, for some reason I am having issues with the Ximenez's FTP, I will contact him.

@NeoMesal

thank you :)

yeah, those extra chips will be nice for testing :)

also I flashed the current working bios image on all of them, also, the hardware programer and chips are now part of my emergency kit for my laptop plus the clasic recovery bios method (recovery cd rom)

however the bad news is that I need another computer with parallel port in order to use the programer.

but well, at least by carring a untouched extra chip with the laptop will allow me to restore all the firmware by just swaping the chips if something goes wrong with the firmware at the installed chip :)

2. LaurensBER

LaurensBER Newbie

Reputations:
    It's working and I'm loving it! I'm not a very rich man but I sent what I could spare your way!

3. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @LaurensBER

glad you like it :)

and dont worry about the money ammount, I dont make this for money even it also motivates me :D

the intention are the important thing I think :)

4. Kitsunemimi

Kitsunemimi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's good to know capitankasar c:

Anyways, flashed to 0.8/0.87V, working wonderfully as usual (although what's this weird Intel VBIOS and high-res stuff? :eek: ), will try to test OC'ing soon.

5. Intpv6

Intpv6 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone.

@capitankasar I'm happy for you :) Can you give details about programming hardware and how could you do it ?
    Also I wonder another thing. Is it possible to update UEFI version to 2.3.1. It is 2.0 in A12 bios.

DSC01624 - Copy.JPG

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    great :)

as for the Intel VBIOS stuff, if I remember correctly, it allowed more VESA resolutions, usefull for loaders before loading OS.
    OSX users also reported better performance with it.

@Intpv6

well, as for update uefi 2.0 to uefi 2.3.1, it has been talked on bios-mods forums and it doesnt seems an easy matter since the whole bios seems 2.0 based.

about hardware programing.

I used following

* 2 x SOIC 8 SMD ZIFF Sockets one is used for the programmer, and other will be installed at the motherboard where the old bios was.

* some extra compatible BIOS chips for testing and replacement if something goes wrong with the other ones, or just for faster tasks (programing and using at the same time)

* 1 homemade programmer, you will need , 1 x male parallel port, 4 x 100 ohm resistors, 1 x battery holder for the battery, and the battery itself (3.3v), you will obiusly also need some wires for the connections and a soldering iron, and you can use optionally a board to connect it and give it a better looking

here you have the schematic, I didnt used the capacitor on mine and it worked fine anyway ^^

[​IMG]

here you can see my v1 and v2 programers, first one didnt included the socket, thats why my chip got fried/damaged after several soldering/desolderings

v1
    [​IMG]

v2
    [​IMG]

comparision
    [​IMG]

BIOS chip at the l502x motherboard

[​IMG]
    it is a Winbond 25Q32BVSIG wich bave a 4 Mb storage size

to remove the original chip from the motherboard I suggest using a small sewing pin.

then use it to leverage to lift each leg meanwhile you apply heat with the soldering iron (dont lift the leg too much or it will break, and dont apply heat during a lot of time, or the chip will get damaged like the first one I had after several solderings and desolderings)

it will need to be removed so you can install the socket instead for easy chip swaping ^^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(ignore the yellow and blue wires at the motherboard from last pic, they are from another mod ;) )

take in mind the chip have a big dot in a corner, that indicate the correct position, connecting the chip in a incorrect position will cause damage to the chip and maybe to the other hardware such as programer or motherboard.

about the software I used, I will upload it after.

hehe, I think I will need to make a how to for this too :D

7. capitankasar

Reputations:
    well, as for the software I used , SPIPGM and FLASHROM

you will need to make a bootable USB with dos, and copy this package I used to a folder inside your bootable usb device.

yes, it need to be an usb device because you will need to dump your chip image first before doing anything,

backing up the chip before it got damaged is basically what saved my before :D

you will also need a PC with parallel port for this, preferably a desktop PC

to test your programer hardware and chip conections and to identify the chip, do

Code:
    SPIPGM.EXE -i
    to backup your bios, do

Code:
    SPIPGM.EXE -d backup.rom
    to verify/compare your bios from a file

Code:
    SPIPGM.EXE -v file.rom

to flash and program the chip

Code:
    flashrom.exe -p rayer_spi -w FILE_TO_FLASH.ROM

the chip image is 4096 kb , it contains descriptor, BIOS , ME, and other stuff such as serial number, lan adapter mac address etc

8. Intpv6

Intpv6 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. You are awesome : )

9. capitankasar

Reputations:
    :D

nah, I'm just a guy with a keyboard and some free time ^^

well, as for the current confirmed utilitied of the programer. are:

* ability of restore the firmare to another chip in case the other one got damaged, previus backup is needed anyway ^^
    * descriptor settings unlock

there are a lot of other posiblilities since we have now fully access to the firmware, I'm focusing now to update the ME7 to ME8 by hex replacing ^^

oh and if you want to unlock the descriptor, open your firmware backup with a hex editor, look for

00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08

then change it to

00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 08

doing this will enable software access to some protected areas of the chip, this will allow flash stuff from the own laptop without the need of the programer, however this is more dangerous, my bios was screwed after I tried some tests with some software, so you will be need to be carefull after unlocking the descriptor, well, since you have the programer and backup, I think you dont have to worry about, you can restore the whole chip image :)

acording to timewalker analysis those addresses correspond to those regions

00000000h - 00000FFFh: Flash Descriptor Region
    00001000h - 00037FFFh: Extends ME
    00038000h - 0017FFFFh: ME Region
    00180000h - 003FFFFFh: BIOS Region

timewalker helped me a lot to get all the required info to acomplish this :)

bios-mods site is awesome ^^

10. guessyet

guessyet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Awesome news about the laptop capitan!!!

Would be nice if there was a way to flash a chip with the proper storage requirements for ME8 so it would be a simple chip swap on our boards and be up and running. And we (the ones without the expertise) could just buy them from you.

I asked a question about using Thaiphoon Burner with the l502x in the forums but no one has answered yet. Would bee sweet if we could adjust the memory timing, spd, and such. Has anyone ever heard of the software before? There is another called SPDTool. SPDTool has not been updated in several years though. Would be pretty cool if this type of feature could be at the bios level. Could there be a way to piece in this feature from a comparable laptop bios maybe from an alienware machine? I know that has a high probability to be a completely stupid question but thought I would throw it out there anyway.