L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    CPU temperatures will remain unchanged - the current BIOS mod ONLY undervolts the GPU when in use. (Ordinarily the GPU is turn off (idle state))

You will only see an effect when you are gaming, etc.

2. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @sevenofnine

well, since it is a 540m I was unable to test if the volt mod worked fine, so if you can pick the nvidia inspector while gamming on a window or minimize the game fast enough to watch the voltage in 3d/game profile , then you should be able to check if the volt mod worked.

about how to rollback to the original bios, you can run the "FLASH_the_original_bios.bat" file (my batch file allow to flash over newer or same bios version), or also can download the original BIOS package directly from dell's site , your choice ^^

@zjacobss

since the same Fan and heatsink is shared by te CPU and GPU, you also may notice small changes at the CPU temperature, but if you do, there will be way less notieciable than the GPU temp decrease.

edit: lol Matix5, you was faster while repling xDD

3. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks Capitan,

I was just thinking that the graphics card would run cooler generally (non-gaming) and that would have an effect on CPU temps purely through proximity btwn CPU and GPU. I checked inspector and it's running at 0.85v and is working well! :)

4. szczups

szczups Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you! I'll let you know how it works :)

5. ricohunter

ricohunter Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have tried your new overvolted A09 BIOS version for gt525m thanks !
    2D PROFILE: 0.85v
    3D PROFILE: 0.98v

6. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @sevenofnine

your welcome : )

glad the mod is working for you , well, since the 540m is already running at 0.83v by default, it already should run at cooler temps when in idle status, however the noticiable changes are while gamming, the temps should be a at least little lower using the modded bioses. (since the 540m run at 0.98v on game mode by default against the 0.85v from the modded bios)

@szczups
    ok, thx ^_^

@ricohunter

thx, added to the first post :)

7. thatdaveguy

thatdaveguy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, nice mod!

Furmark before, 96C Max GPU. Furmark after 89C Max GPU.

Nice! Thanks!

Too bad you can't undervolt the Intel graphics ;)

8. capitankasar

Reputations:
    @thatdaveguy

glad it helped you ^_^

well,I think the intel graphics proccesor are inside the CPU on sandy bridge proccesors.
    [​IMG]
    it may be done as son as we hack the BIOS to get access to some CPU features like voltage, BCLK ....

CPU overclocking would be awesome (specially right now, when I got adicted to dolphin emulator hehe)

9. Jubeltrubel

Jubeltrubel Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @thatdaveguy: it would make no sense to undervolt the internal gpu, because when you need power you take the dedicated nvidia card and on powersaving or general purpose the internal GPU produces almost no heat. In general all Parts in idle consume far less energy then high perfomance mode, therefore the potential in energy saving is far more given in the voltage table of the cpu(the GPU is now "save" thx to this bios mod ;)). If we could change those voltages we could save a lot of energy and therefore heat and noise.
    And i know that there is a huge unused potential in those cpus (when compared to the Desktop CPUs you can run 4.5 GHZ with 1.2V [which the mobile CPU has in Turbo] with ease).

MFG Jubeltrubel

10. eggy_brahma

eggy_brahma Newbie

Reputations:

thanks for your reply brother. the problem is sloved. now adays its possible to install mac os even on MBR partitioned drive. I have successfully installed the latest Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2. Now i do dual boot with windows 7. its great. My XPS is awesome now. just leaves only one more thing to be desired, to disable the optimus technology. so that Nvidia GPU is used all the time. which would be great. is it possible through bios modding ?