L502X modded bioses download (GPU voltages and more!)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by capitankasar, Dec 30, 2011.

1. buch3r

buch3r Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The power saving settings are set to passive cooling when using the battery, prior to flashing to the A09 bios, the fan would still kick on, it appears to be operating correctly. Maybe some people complained to Dell of overheating with this new bios when gaming and using battery power? Anyone have problems with undervolting not providing enough power during 3d? Why would they make stock .95 if it can work at .85?

2. buch3r

buch3r Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A09 bios is back on the dell website with changelog, I wonder if it's exactly the same as the A09 from the other day?

3. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will run a md5 test from the one I downloaded days ago, and the new one from the dell site.

edit: both files have the same checksum , so the bios file is exacly the same ^_^

false alarm I guess :p

4. buch3r

buch3r Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Running your modded A09 .85/.85 at the moment, haven't played any games yet though.

5. szczups

szczups Newbie

Reputations:
    Capitankasar, could you please make A09 overvoltage (0,85, 098) bios for l502x with 525M?

OT: is there any way to turn off the boot loogo in bios? Are there any advanced bios menus to unlock?

6. FlipBack

FlipBack Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Using the undervolted A09 for the 540m. Flashed fine, temps dropped considerably.

7. NeoMesal

NeoMesal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have also flashed the undervolted GT 540M A09 -works great thanks. :)
    [So much happens when you go camping for a week - argh my inbox!!]

800 (1600) 1000 is the absolute limit of overclocking of the GT 540M when undervolted- if I minimize a game the system crashes when I restore (card must need the extra power to "start up".)

785 (1570) 985 has a higher stability.

Games that used to crash will still crash if I overclock - can only be fixed by rebooting and keeping at stock speeds.

Thanks again for your work!! (Even though I have said it 100s of times already :D )

P.S. Reiterating that temperatures drop significantly, combined with a re-paste the results are outstanding. (70C 800/1000 Max Furmark Xtreme Burn-In, Post FX, etc)

8. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @buch3r

thanks for feedback :)

@szczups

done,check at the first post, however didnt had time to test it, but it should be ok, since I made the similar changes for all the bios, give feedback plz ^_^

not yet

it should posible to replace the DELL logo with a custom logo, or maybe enable the POST screen with the startup messages, it also may be posible to enable the UEFI menu since I suspect it is already there, also saw another BIOS languages like francais, however I dont have the skills for those stuff yet, like I said, I am not a BIOS hacker, just a persistent user.
    so I will apreciate any help on this ^_^

@FlipBack

thanks for the feedback,I will add you at the first post :)

edit:

@Matix5

thanks for the info :)

I wish I could make my 525m get higher than 675 stable, but it seems it doesnt like it, at least without crashes ^^

yeah, while combinating both mods the temperatures should be greatly decreased, keeping the system really cool, I already did on mine.

9. sevenofnine

sevenofnine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey Capitan,

So sorry It's taken so long long to get back to you about testing the modded, undervolted, BIOS for the 540m. I just got around to it and installed the undervolted A09 BIOS for the 540m.

Firstly, everything seems to be running normally so hats off to you! No problems here (so far!).

Secondly, however, the undervolted bios doesn't seem to have had too much of an effect on my temperatures. Previously, running coretemp, my temperatures were around 55-60 degrees whilst browsing/itunes/mail/the usual... using the undervolted A09 bios doesn't seem to have brought down my temperatures - I'm still hovering around 55-60 degrees. But, I only installed it about 15 minutes ago so early days yet.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if I want to go back to the 'Official' Dell BIOS, can I just re-downloaded the Dell BIOS from the from their website, or install the FLASH_the_original_bios file in the flash bios mod folder?

Thanks Capitan, good solid work!

For info - 2630QM CPU.

10. zjacobss

zjacobss Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Is the CPU temperature supposed to get lower too? Mine is like that too 55-60, but the GPU runs cooler while gaming.