Kryonaut - abrasive properties and high temp degradation

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Thysanoptera, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Thysanoptera

Thysanoptera Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good point, I'm travelling this week, I'll give it a try this weekend. Just did a quick search what is the minimum size of particle human finger can recognize. As it turns out, some Swedish study shows that people are able to distinguish 13nm patterns from smooth surface. There was a video posted in the other thread, of the new Thermal Grizzly shareholder - der8auer, talking with GamersNexus, and he threw 20nm as particle size - so most likely you will feel something regardless if the batch is good or bad. He also used a metric ton as unit of measurement when ordering powder, I'm pretty sure you can make a little more than 800 syringes out of it. On the other hand - he was also using Newton as units of pressure, so there is a good chance that he doesn't know what is he talking about.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If the paste is "normal/good" I don't think you'll feel the grit, but if the bad batch is making visible scratches on the surface of IHS / heatsink, there's a good chance you can feel it.

Thysanoptera likes this.
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    right, well when dealing with such company reps u cannot win, noatter what kind of thermal paste youre using... any kind of wear and tear will be seen as "damage" and an excuse to deny you warranty services

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Casowen

Casowen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My dual heat sink is connected through thermal pads, but those pads are not very good oh, and I replaced them with kyronaut paste. It's not a die, however should I perhaps switch to conduconaut? I would have course avoid the aluminum areas.

Attached Files:

5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nah, use a thick thermal paste (ICD, Kingpin KPX) or a thermal pad substitute like K5 Pro. Thermal adhesive works too if you don't plan on taking it apart often.

6. Sabs47

Sabs47 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Follow up on the kryonaut on my laptop. Along with XTC undervolting im at 37C - 41C on normal use and in the 75C - 80C when playing video games. So far its holding up. Fingers crossed

joluke likes this.
  7. notstaamp

notstaamp Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    how's the krynaut doing? i asked gentech to paste mine with kryonaut as well LOL

8. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Any company that would void a warranty for doing a repaste is a company not worth doing business with. As I can only speak of Asus, it is company policy to honor a warranty, even if a laptop was repasted. Asus understands that units get modified, especially gamer units. The only time this would not be the case is if it is determined that a unit's failure is directly tied to a repaste job. For example, if you repasted with LM, and the unit shorts out, then no warranty.

So don't get paranoid about scratching the surfaces of your CPU or heatsink. Heck, in fact, many heatsink surfaces come pre-scratched. :)

9. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was not talking about repaste, I was talking about physical damage caused by repaste. Which is what may happen if you are not lucky enough with certain paste.

Since you brought up Asus, they are... not a very good company when it comes to dealing with warranty in general. Plenty of reviews on Amazon which will tell everyone that. As well as experience like this from a person who purchased multiple models:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/posts/10882291/

So yea, sorry but I would rather not risk my money by returning a laptop with physical damage and hoping it won't be noticed. Or deal with Asus for any issue in general.

10. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    And you totally missed my point. The abrasion caused by the paste would not constitute as damage to void a warranty.

hmscott likes this.