Kitchen sink laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Debicat, Jan 30, 2021.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Sure. I have helped friends build both a 10700k and 5900X desktop rig, and honestly in day to day use its impossible to tell the difference between them with the same GPU. Once it is released the 11700k should be available as an option as well that should perform a little better.

Debicat likes this.
  2. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    you know cpus are so good right now even getting an i5 k series would probably be fine. might get lucky and a smaller die might come out this year but the way intel has been doing lately i wouldn't hold my breath.

another thing to consider, if you go the desktop route, put all the money in that. if you have the desktop as the goto for work and play, you really should consider what will you downgrade to. you could get an el cheapo laptop just to have that laptop. you could really consider with the desktop are you actually going to do any work (or learn for potential work)? i'm guessing you might want to still game and that would have you looking at getting something with xx60 series to have a decent portable experience. but you could open up and see what AMD options are. i don't think there's a big crowd of gamer or hardcore gamers going down to the coffee shop or having LAN parties these days (not to mention Covid if you're in the US, the US is probably going to milk it while our gov't continues to rob the country and world right in front of US) when high speed internet is widely available these days. heck you could try and go used to get the best bang for the buck also.

i can't believe i'm saying this, but if you really want something portable but don't actually need a laptop have you considered a NUC or similar form factor or even a mac mini? hdmi cable and a decent 15-17" monitor is portable still. i think. ;)

Debicat likes this.
  3. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's good to know :) Of course the I7-10700k and I9 won't be as powerful in their laptop configurations, right?

Oooh that's interesting! What's a NUC?

4. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    There will be a difference on the overclockable models at full multicore load. Single core and gaming performance should be pretty close though. Some companies offer turnkey hardware mods to help close the gap.

Debicat likes this.
  5. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Cool! Which companies offer the turnkey hard ware mods?

6. pukemon

Reputations:
    https://xoticpc.com/collections/asus-laptops/products/asus-rog-zephyrus-duo-15-se-gx551qs-xs99

:p
    to OP, I just blew your budget but you get a smaller form factor and half the weight. and for the premium, prolly cause some neck spasms. I couldn't link ASUS website as they don't have it there yet. I just happened to see somebody review it on youtube. if i had money to blow, i'd be interested in the 3080/1080p but I don't know if that is an option or configurable. seems it's either 3080/4k or 3070/1080p.

i don't know what NUC stands for, but it is Intel's really small form factor. i doubt you would be interested but just threw it out there for hahas. i think a couple other companies make similar size 'puters.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    Debicat likes this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Zephyrus has soldered RAM.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    dmanti likes this.
  8. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    ZtecPC offers hardware mods to the heatsink on the X170SM which is unique to them. ZtecPC, Eluktronics, HIDEvolution and LPC-Digital offer the unlocked and tuned Prema bios. Most offer higher quality thermal paste and pads.

raz8020, Debicat and etern4l like this.
  9. pukemon

Reputations:
    i believe it also has two open slots. i might be wrong and it has only one. i forget as i think there are a handul of models with soldered ram but open slots. the soldered ram is 16GB though which is still very usable if you don't have funds to expand it right away.

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The laptop has 8GB of soldered RAM and ships with another 8GB in a slot. That's it. They claim that the memory is upgradeable but it is not in the reasonable sense of the word, because putting a larger module in would cause the memory to operate in single channel mode.

The idea of soldering RAM is particularly disgusting and it never ceases to amaze me that actual consumers would jump to defend it.

raz8020, dmanti, Debicat and 2 others like this.