Kitchen sink laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Debicat, Jan 30, 2021.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The Mech 15 G3 was pretty well reviewed last year. Here is a video review of the Mech 15 G3 refresh (5800H + 3070 125W) if you have not already seen it:

I have not seen a review for the Prometheus yet but it should be decent if its a larger version of the Mech 15 G3 / Max 17.

etern4l and Debicat like this.
  2. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for the video! I'm going to focus on Rtx 3080 although who knows how much better it will be than the 3070?
    I wish Eluktronics would have the 5900hx CPU like XMG does. I wish I lived in the EU!

I'm sad about Eluktronics :( I just got off the phone with one of the techs and he said the base wattage for the new Rtx 30- laptop GPUs is 115 w which you can change to 135 watts and the +15 watts comes in if dynamic boost is supported. Plus he said they probably won't have a laptop with Ryzen 5900hx anytime soon :(

3. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    All laptops have compromises. I am sure the performance of the 135W 3080 + 5800H is fine and the asking price is in line with other comparable specs on the market. I do think the MUX switch should help it be competitive with the Asus G17 with the 5900HX.

Debicat likes this.
  4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is the most important thing to remember. It's a matter of knowing what features are most important to you along with those you're either willing to downgrade or completely live without.

raz8020 and Debicat like this.
  5. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you, you made me feel better :)

Thanks, what would you do in my position?

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I would wait for broader availability of different makes and models to see if another manufacturer brings out something that comes closer to meeting all your criteria. That might take a while, but better to see all your options instead of buying something now than have something come out in another 2-3 months that might be better to where you might be out of any return policy.

By the way, if you're responding to more than one person, please use the multi-quote button (between like and reply in the lower right corner). It keeps things cleaner.

Debicat likes this.
  7. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yea, I guess I'll wait for now. It stinks because I'd like to sign up for some online classes.

Ok I'll use the multi quote thing when I need to. I was only addressing you when I asked "what would you do in my position" :)

8. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    hi debicat have you considered 20 or 3060gpu or whatever the comparable AMD gpu equivalent is? seems you could squeeze by with a xx60 series for less than $1500. you did mention you're contemplating a desktop also. if you decide on going both lap and desk, get a barebones clevo with appropriate cpu/gpu and upgrade bare part as things go on sale. the same for desktop, but get the best mobo to start with and go from there. upgrade both as needed or wanted.

i just mention all this because in 2015 i spent $2200 for the barebones in my sig. i don't regret the purchase at all, even having the mobo replaced a couple years ago. you mentioned the laptop is probably going to stay in one spot so i'm guessing you want the option of grab and go still. that's what i wanted and the option of grab and go was luxury for me all the times i did take it somewhere and i am less than a casual pc gamer and don't do much that really taxes the 980M, even 5 years later.

i mention all this because doesn't the x170 have 2 power supplies? mine only has one ps but i opted for the 330w power supply. volume wise it's ~ same size as a docked nintendo switch but much heavier. somehting to consider as you will probably want to budget a nice backpack or messenger bag for a $3000+ investment (of course after you deck it out).

if you get the x170 definitely get the best cpu or k series and get that 3080. and enjoy. i wouldn't really worry about pcie4 or tb4. bandwidth is pretty good on modern laptops these days. mine is 5 years old and still plenty fast. mine takes about 15-20s to boot and i think many high end laptops boot in less than 5 seconds now. being an early adopter for something like that is like buying a lambhorghini just to commute back and forth to a 9-5 job you hate. you will also pay a premium to fill up that latest tech.

and i forget, but doesn't clevo often come out with new models 1st or 2nd quarter most of the time? you might have that luxury right now while waiting for more kidneys to pop back up on the market.

forgot to mention, you wanted kryonaut and fujipoly. if you end up with a clevo buy bare and do ALL the upgrades, including thermals yourself. why? because often you get a glob of the premium stuff and in my experience, and from what i've read of others, going back in and doing it yourself the proper way will help your thermals. i spent the extra $ on a previous clevo and got a glob. after redoing the thermal paste my temps went down even more. too much can hurt you too. plus, when you buy a beast like that, especially if your first clevo, you want to get your nails dirty yourself and learn how to open up and maintain your desktop in a lap form factor.

Debicat likes this.
  9. win32asmguy

Reputations:
    I noticed the X170KM with 16GB 3080 is up for pre-order on HIDEvolution and XoticPC, ETA March. Pricing is out of OP's listed budget, although it would have TB3, maybe better audio, and should run cool and quiet with some tweaking. Hopefully it can be eligible for a Prema BIOS once one is available. It is a shame Intel has no plans for releasing a 10nm CPU on LGA1200. That would be a great upgrade option a year down the line if it exist.

Debicat likes this.
  10. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks :) I'm considering the desktop more and more but I need a laptop. You're right about new tech always setting the bar higher and higher and planned obsolescence is also a factor unfortunately. Whatever purchase I make I will be sure to enjoy since by then I will have made the best decision with the information I have :)

Oh I didn't know doing it myself was the best option! They really just put a blob on there? Yikes! I might need help with that

Yea the configuration I want is over $3220 XD Is the I7-10700k still powerful compared to the newer gen cpus by Intel and amd?

pukemon likes this.