Kitchen sink laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Debicat, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, I'm new! :hi: Please help me with finding the right laptop

1) What is your budget? $1500-$2800

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I don't want anything with Max-Q gpus

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    This is my everything including the kitchen sink notebook. I'll be using it for gaming, music, art, learning 3d modeling and animation, game design, programming, learning Python and other programs, so it needs to be able to do a lot!

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Leaving it in one place most likely

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Doom Eternal
    Resident Evil 7 and 8
    CSGO
    Skyrim
    The Forest
    Dead by Daylight
    Rimworld
    Prison Architect
    Indie horror games
    Simulators

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I will be keeping it plugged in most of the time, so 2 hrs minimum

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I don't mind buying online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows with option to run Linux if possible

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p and 144hz is good; I'd like to play some competitive games so a higher refresh rate is always better

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Either

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1TB to start with

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the next two months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    I want the laptop to last at least 2 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    2 weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Yes

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ok kinda bummed I didn't receive any replies but I've been researching laptops and so far the two that fit my specs and budget are:

Asus ROG Strix SCAR 17 G733QS-XS98Q QHD 165Hz, nVidia RTX 3080 16GB, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
    https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-strix/2021-rog-strix-scar-17-series/spec/

Cons are it most likely won't have a MUX switch, doesn't seem to support PCIe 4.0 and I'm not sure there's a way to disable Optimus in Armoury crate

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII
    https://www.eluktronics.com/Prometheus-XVII/

Pros are it has MUX switch and dgpu. Cons are idk how good this brand is and how good the thermals will be. Does anyone here have an Eluktronics laptop?

I know Lenovo is coming out with their own 360hz Rtx 3080 laptop but that might not be until May or June and they tend to go with Max Q gpus.

etern4l likes this.
  3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well, I don't know much about gaming laptops, so it's kind of hard to help. I've never heard of the Eluktronics electronics. Perhaps it's a reseller of another brand like Clevo or MSI, which may lead you to more insight. I do not believe we have a forum for them, so it's going to be hard to find any information about them. Maybe Reddit is a possibility.

Debicat likes this.
  4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you do not mind the weight or battery life, you may also consider the Clevo X170KM with 10700k and 3070 or 3080. Here is a review of the previous generation with the RTX 2000 series GPUs:

I know that the Intel CPU even undervolted is not as efficient as the Ryzen mobile CPU's, but for this kind of use case I would personally want an overbuilt cooling system, which you simply cannot get on any Ryzen mobile offering listed to date.

raz8020, Debicat and etern4l like this.
  5. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Debicat likes this.
  6. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Zaz! Thank you for responding :hi: Gaming laptops aren't really much different from regular laptops. Eluktronics seems to make their own stuff but in the end it could all be rebranded Clevo so who knows for sure!

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Eluktroniks is well regarded as a brand. Check out the Other brands section.

I would start looking at Clevo first in your shoes. With the X170 you get a desktop CPU and an upgradable graphics card.

raz8020 and Debicat like this.
  8. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Woah thank you so much! That laptop looks promising! If I'm going to go with a Ryzen laptop, I was going to order from GenTechPC and have them put Kryonaut on the CPU and GPU and also apply Fuji Poly extreme Thermal pads to help with cooling. This Clevo laptop looks great though! I wouldn't mind having the Intel I9-10900k CPU :) I have a question, you have a laptop with amd processor: how are your temps on it?

Lemmiwinks, you are the gerbil king. All hail the gerbil king!

Thank you for the video and spreadsheet! :) Jeez, things keep getting more and more complicated!

Thank you! I will check out the Others section! Do you or someone you know have an Eluktronics laptop?

lemmywinks likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, but I've read enough good opinions. From memory they are on the lighter side though, whereas it seems like you are savvy and could handle a DTR like the X170.

Debicat likes this.
  10. Debicat

Debicat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'd love to have a DTR but it seems that's only available with Intel or amd 3900x. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though :)