Kingston HyperX Memory Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Jerry Jackson, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator NBR Reviewer

Reputations:

Kingston recently announced the availability of its new HyperX Plug and Play High Performance Memory for notebooks. The industry's first memory modules with "Sandy Bridge Ready Frequencies" for Intel's latest generation of processors, the HyperX Plug and Play Memory uses JEDEC-compliant 1600MHz and 1866MHz values. We decided to take a closer look at this high-performance RAM to see what a typical laptop user can expect if they simply "plug and play."

[​IMG]

Read the full content of this Article: Kingston HyperX Memory Review

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Interesting. :)

Could you also post the CPU-z's Memory and SPD page with the timing data for these modules. People may be interested to use these modules for lower frequencies provided the timings are proportionally lower.

John

3. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Upgrading from 8GB to 16GB of RAM with the same type of memory will already increase the WEI (Windows Experience Index) score.

I suggest you also test the change in WEI upgrading from 8GB 1333 Mhz to 8GB 1866MHZ

4. ModuleMOD

ModuleMOD Newbie

Reputations:
    Something is wrong here. Please post CPUZ screenshots.
    I read that Kingston plug-and-play doesnot support the i3. So you raised my hope up (I plan to buy an i3 laptop soon). But I called Kingston to ask, they stated that the core i3 can only run @1066 and their PnP can only help to lower the latency (1066 CL6 vs. stock 1066 CL7). That explains why your Toshiba's benchmarks didnot look good. It should benefit the most with the integrated video using shared memory. Kingston also said 3DMark doesn't benefit (with discrete video) from memory. They suggested to run some real-time apps, such as Photoshop....

5. hp79

hp79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Why would anyone want to use Kingston's SSD? It makes the article look like an advertisement supported by Kingston.

6. Bartlett

Bartlett The Prophet

Reputations:
    Should I get the PnP memory (the one reviewed) or the memory with the XMP?

7. Jerry Jackson

Jerry Jackson Administrator NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    You are correct that the i3 only supports 1066 ... but Toshiba's own marketing materials say this RAM works with any notebook that supports DDR3, so we wanted to show the "plug and play" results with a notebook/CPU that supports the higher frequencies as well as a notebook that just supports DDR3.

8. VendettA

VendettA Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like the others have stated, there seems to be missing information . .. .

"What kind of a performance boost will I see from upgrading my notebook with this memory?"
    And all I see is WEI and PC/3DMark scores???

Um mm mm . .. . .. . ..

9. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was a bit curious if it used more power (which I think it does) and about how much.
    And I agree it would have been easier to digest the article if it had been same memory size to same memory size and maybe one memory jump in size in the mix if you wanted to show that angle too.
    No worries however, glad you were as careful as you were in giving detailed results.

10. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    This.

I'd also suggest you test the Toshiba with 8 GB of "generic" RAM (maybe the W520's factory sticks). It's well known that in 64-bit Windows 7 the RAM subscore is capped at 5.9 unless you have more than 4 GB, and this test would show how much of the 5.9 -> 7.3 jump came from the faster HyperX RAM and how much from just going past the 4 GB barrier. I suspect the latter is a much bigger contributor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.