Kingspec SSD, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rtreads, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orange_george

orange_george Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Squeeto,

I've got my hands full at the moment, I'll tune in later.

Are you running that in a primary bay or an optical bay?

If your answer is optical bay, the bios may force UDMA Mode 2, in which case you can check out nando4's optical bay drive thread, it covers forcing UDMA Mode 5.

o.g.

2. Squeeto

Squeeto Newbie

Reputations:
    I know that I am hijacking this thread now. Sorry.
    But thank you.

orange_george
    Primary (only) drive.

Since I am running XP, I had to partition with Vista.
    So the drive is aligned with:
    Create partition primary size=5000 align=1024

[​IMG]

The old drive was having its own issues and was degraded to PIO but after un/re installing it would return to mode 5. This trick doesn't work for the SSD.

3. Squeeto

Squeeto Newbie

Reputations:
    Okay, I think that this is a fairer estimation of the drives capabilities (should you consider buying one):

My bios has been holding DMA to mode 2. Or probably the SSD isn't backwards compatible to tell the bios that it is capable of mode 5. Either way, I have one of those Phoenix bioses that has like 3 settings you can adjust - date/time, ECP/EPP and boot order! So I updated the driver to nVidia's instead of MicroSoft's.

This works for my nForce3 chipset-

[​IMG]

So I am now at least drive partition aligned and running in DMA mode 5-

[​IMG]

Hope this helps someone.

4. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Excellent info, Thanks!

5. orange_george

Reputations:
    It's rtreads thread & he's not revisited with an update, so no problem.

Wow, not quite what I was expecting, so I've done a fresh install of XP_SP2 on my 7.5 year old stock 4200rpm hdd (the one I threw out long ago) that makes your write figures look poor considering the age gap & technological difference.

Thanks to the newbie guy's for tuning in, I'm conscious of not being dazzled by the high performance of large block IOs, but in this case, where are they? The random 4k reads are better than my current 5400rpm HM160HC & WD2500BEVE, with that said, they are around half of what I was expecting & with my current drives I've not got any of the degradation issues associated with the MLC drives.

I'm accepting that we are looking at first generation drives & there are significant differences between the access times of ssd's & conventional hdd but I'm either missing some critical information that would make the above ssd acceptable or I been sat on the fence for several months with good reason.

o.g.

Attached Files:

6. eboyhan

eboyhan Newbie

Reputations:
    For out of the box, these are reasonable results for a PATA SSD, if not great. As I mentioned above the real test comes when every flash page of the SSD has been written to at least once -- so that writes involve a read, erase, write cycle. Does the controller effectively deal with deleted sectors? If after many many writes, the drive appears to "stutter" and performance goes into the toilet, then you have a 1st gen controller, and a not very attractive SSD. It is hard to test this effect out of the box without specialized benchmark tools. You get best results with an OS/controller pair that supports the TRIM (or TRIM equivalent) operations. Win7 is the first MS OS to support TRIM.

7. shovenose

shovenose Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sort of on topic, I've got a 32GB Transcend drive. I'm using it in my Toughbook CF-28. Are these drives any good? Mine cost me $115 on Newegg.com and now it's running Win2K quite nicely ;)

8. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Does Ubuntu or any of the Linux OS have TRIM?

9. TopCop1988

TopCop1988 Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    While the Kingspec seems to be the one most known, there are others; such as the Transcend 32GB SSD, 2.5- Inch, IDE, MLC

10. orange_george

Reputations:
    Agree to a point. With regards out of the box performance, lower access times and faster random transfer rates should overcome the, sitting on the desktop looking at the egg timer, which is what I get with my current HM160HC's. I've purposely added the 's because I was impressed with them enough to buy two. I'm in too much of a rush to get things done, but I wasn't born that way, it's the way the world is, or a least the one I'm living in.

So buying a slow out the box ssd, adding a few months of read, write, erase & re-write cycles, end's in another shopping trip with the added down time & expense.

All credit to Desertfan for tuning in with his bad experience, I'm gutted for him, but if your buying policy is to buy the first thing you see, Mr Murphy's Law will catch up with you, more often than he will with me. That should be the kiss of death that catches up with me sooner that I would like.

I've ordered a Transcend SLC, checking the spec's on the Transcend site, as apposed to Amazon or the likes, I came across the following;

*Note: For OS installations, SLC version is recommended

o.g.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.