Kingspec SSD, are they any good?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by rtreads, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtreads

rtreads Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am looking to install a 64 gig ssd in my cf-18. I am looking for a pata unit as I understand that they are compatable with the ide connection. I would look into sata, as there are adapters available for them, but I dont really know what I am doing and I dont want to get the wrong one or mess up modifying one.

I was wondering if any one has tried Kinspec? Are they any good? I cant seam to find a Transcend 64 gig pata. I was also wondering about Runcore, but they seam more expensive than others.

Ideas? Also am I right in thinking the pata is a "non adaptor required" ssd? I can modify the caddy or whatever else I need to do to make it fit. I am very mechanically able, I just dont know computers that well. If the pata is not a plug and play connection, what is needed? THANKS!

2. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I put a Kingspec 16GB SSD into a CF-18 used on my Harley. The parallel interface (IDE a.k.a PATA) works fine without any adapter, plugs right in and runs great. Be sure to get the 2.5 size SSD, most of the 1.8 SSD's are ZIF connectors that don't plug into the caddy connector.

I checked its performance after installing and it ran a bit slower than spec for block read/write, and much slower for random read & write. Yes I was careful to do the 4K block alignment when installing Win XP. It does seem faster than a fast conventional hard drive (Samsung HM160HC) although I didn't run the numbers on the Samsung.

No idea how well the Kingspec will last. But with the vibration of the Harley I'm betting any SSD will last longer than a spinning hard drive would.

3. orange_george

orange_george Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Which Kingspec have you used, an SLC or MLC?

There are two different controllers, JMF602 & SM2235, which one you got?

4. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
  5. orange_george

Reputations:

I get where your coming from on performance but, not all Toughbook's sit on a desktop. Some are used in an Industrial environment and get knocked off the side of a machine on a regular basis. Some of the guy's that have used a sata-to-pata bridge have suggested you are undoing the ultra ruggedness that Panasonic have purposely created.

It's an Ultra Rugged Notebook intended for the abuse often encountered in hostile environments. If there is any drop test data to support that the above "Cuts the Mustard" somebody point me in that direction.

I'm wanting my "Cake and Eat it", better performance without sacrificing the ruggedness that attracts people to buy a toughbook.

6. Springfield

Springfield Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the MLC model KSD-PA25. Not the fastest SSD but 16GB for less than $60 shipped meets my need for vibration proof storage at low cost.

7. orange_george

Reputations:

Three of us singing from the same "Hymn Sheet". It's a straight swap 2.5" for 2.5" no hacking the foam in the caddy that's intended to reduce the shock loading on the drive. Ironically, the sata-to-pata bridge that I ordered last week as a "look-see" arrived in today's post, if I said it epitomises the Oxford English Dictionary definition of "Fragile" I mean it's one drop and it's "History".

Performance boost yes please, compromising the ruggedness, no thank you.

8. rtreads

rtreads Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ...so it sounds like there are no issues? I will get one ordered today.

thanks!
    ryan

9. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
  10. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    You better recheck your listings before you ASSUME that you have a MANUFACTURER Warranty from NewEgg; the status display LCD failed on the case my current computer is built in after 35 days; I figure no biggie since the listing on NewEgg says 1 year warranty from MFR.

WRONG! You read the disclaimer at the bottom of every listing, it says they do their best to ensure that information is correct, but the manufacturer has the final say, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Anyways - so I contact the manufacturer (Broadway Com Corp) figuring hey, they're going to want to take care of a customer and send out a replacement part under warranty so I don't have to dismantle my new PC to return the case. They respond saying that my purchase is out of warranty, as they only warranty for 30 DAYS but they'll send me a free replacement for only $14 S/H. I reply that their listing on NewEgg clearly says 1 YEAR, and that it's absurd to suggest I should pay them $14 for a part to fix a $20 box; particularly for a part I know I can ship for $2-$8 depending on carrier. No thanks.

NewEgg RMA-ed the case the same day, and they even bothered to apologize for the inconvenience; something the MFR never did. I kept the defective part as a spare for the replacement NewEgg sent; later I discovered a defective (NOT BLOWN) SMD Fuse which I repaired by piggybacking a similar GMS fuse with pigtails. Total cost: 29 cents plus about 30 min labor.

Had I not been so torqued off at the MFR I probably would have done the troubleshooting first; but I was going to take that case out of their hide at that point and NewEgg gave me the tools to do it.

The sad part is I REALLY like everything about the case; the layout is great with bottom mount PSU and a sharp looking integrated Optical drive bay and excessive cooling vents, and you can't say anything bad about the price. If I could buy the same case again from another manufacturer I would in a heartbeat.

So YES, NewEgg DID make good on that warranty; but it COULD have gone much differently.

mnem
    Qapla'! - Klingon for "BLEEP off and DIE!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.