Kind-off business laptop able to run low-end games

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ernestlowrider, Jul 2, 2020.

1. ernestlowrider

ernestlowrider Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $1000 - $1200

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Poland

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: none
    b. Dislike: none
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? no

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Working on the documents, browsing the Internet/youtube, some low-end games

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes. I’m going to play World of Warcraft and Football Manager series games only. I don’t really care about playing on ultra high settings, I just want WoW to run smoothly and look *ok.* As far as I know Football Manager performance depends mostly on CPU and HDD. I have PS4 for gaming, if it won’t be enough I might buy a next-gen, so laptop will be for abovementioned games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? I expect to use the battery more like an emergency, 99% I will use it plugged in. I’m not going to play games on battery. I guess couple of hours for documents/chrome is ok.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I’m ok with buying it online. It must be available in Poland (I’m aware you have no idea which are, most of Xiaomis are off the table)

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p I guess, I don’t really care about high-end resolution on laptop.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I’m not really sure, but I guess its matte/non-glossy as I pick comfort over ultra high quality of Picture.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, I can’t stand how most of the gaming laptops look like. I don’t really want bloody red keyboard and all that pseudo-fancy gaming design, but I don’t really know if I need gaming laptop for playing those 2 games, especially as I want it to be possibly quiet.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I think 480 gb SSD will be enough

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? July

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? As long as possibile.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Couple of days, I guess.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I would consider paying extra, depends on the cost and availability of the service in my country.

tl;dr: I want to buy a laptop for work. In my free time, I want to be able to play World of Warcraft and Football Manager on it and I don't really care about other games. I'm using my 5? year old Dell Inspiron 3537 with i5-4200U CPU, 4gb RAM and Radeon 8670M now. It's acceptable for wow and *painfully playable* for fm purposes. I'd like to upgrade that, but I'm not sure if gaming laptop is a must for me, as I'd like it to be classy looking and possibly quiet device.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just to point out, laptop/notebook batteries are sealed type. When a model goes EOL, you may not be able to find a replacement battery and that will affect your mobility seriously.

3. ernestlowrider

ernestlowrider Newbie

Reputations:
    I am aware of that, lets say I hope to use it as long as it serves its purpose, 4 years+ would be perfect

4. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @ernestlowrider take a look at Thinkpad E15 gen 2 & L15 with Ryzen 5 or 7. These are business machines with appropriate build quality and looks, available with matte IPS 1080p displays, should be within your budget and available soon if not already, and offer on-site warranty service unlike consumer stuff. Brief googling tells me they should run both WoW & FM fine, you'd better do a proper research to verify that.

Charles P. Jefferies likes this.
  5. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Don't really understand why Lenovo prefers to label their AMD variants to the E, L, & T series as Gen2 when the chassis used are the same in design and dimensions of the Intel counterpart...
    Anyway, after studying the specification details in Lenovo PSREF site, E15 and T15 is 0.2mm apart in thickness. While L15(which is now available thru Japan's Lenovo appointed resellers) is 2mm thicker than E&T added up average. This is probably due to non-soldered RAM on one of the channels that's found on the other 2.

Starlight5 likes this.