Killer Wireless Discussion Thread - Look for Solutions and Ask Questions Here

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by 7idal, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senshin

senshin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In windows 7 I also had no problems, it has something to do with windows 8 I think, alot of other users report problems in windows 8.

2. DDDenniZZZ

DDDenniZZZ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Indeed errors with mainly windows 8, probably some sort of security change going frmo windows 7 to 8 which they didn't notice until now.

Past 2 BETA drivers have been ok for me. Running latest drivers (took me 1 hour to download 300mb, such a slow server) and they are fine, no drop outs so far. The actual driver version has changed as well.

New interface seems like windows 8 tile style, but I hardly use it. I leave mine on doing whatever it wants and its been fine for me.

Anyone who had issues, should upgrade to these drivers :). (Uninstall old drivers, reboot, install new drivers, reboot).

3. ErikO

ErikO Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    TIRED of this wireless cards' performance.

Just ordered 6300N to be done with it.

My 5300N on my last machine was w o n d e r f u l, so I'll take a chance on the 6300N.

TWO Killer 1103s for sale if anyone wants 'em...

4. senshin

senshin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What are u using windows 8?

5. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lately my Internet keeps dropping out. It will say I have limited access.. Or it will say nothing at all.. Like I'm connected only I can't connect to anything with Internet. Wifi signal never drops... Its just the Internet connection that does. Everything else connected to my router doesn't have this issue so I know it's either the laptop, or the 1103. Any ideas
    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

6. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. BrickTop

BrickTop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Getting huge lag spikes with new new windows 8 themed drivers. Driving me nuts. nothing is stable in windows 8.

8. Irakandji

Irakandji Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In addition to littleone562 advice, I suggest you try this:

inSSIDer for Home – Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek

The program shows you how congested your wireless air space is. I found the 1103 to be very susceptible to drop out in a congested environment. This tool helps to set up the channels on your router to maximize your wireless performance.

I ended up replacing my Bigfoot with an intel 6300 I found the Bigfoot just too unreliable..

9. Glzmo

Glzmo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My brother (on his M11x-R3) and myself (previously on my old M17x-R2 and now on my replacement M18x-R2) also had problems with our Killer Wireless-N 1103 cards dropping connections all the time as well as huge ping fluctuations, packet loss and other performance issues as well as simply not seeing some wireless networks and/or being unable to connect to them.

Here is what I did to solve it:

• Uninstalled any Killer drivers on the system and removed all traces of them on the disk and registry.
    • Installed driver version 6.1.0.183 (Killer1102-1103Setup_6_1_0_183_win7_64bit.exe still from Bigfoot Networks. They were the oldest drivers for the card I could find, and also the same version number that seems to be most stable on the Killer E2100 Ethernet card on desktops). We've tried all kinds of other drivers, including the latest betas, but this one seems to perform the best still.
    • Set Background Scan to Off in the drivers (Device Manager->Killer Wireless-N 1103->Advanced). I did this as I noticed the connection usually drops when it auto-attempts to discover new networks.
    • Unticked Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power (Device Manager->Killer Wireless-N 1103->Power Management).
    • In Power Options, I set the Wireless Adapter Settings->Power Saving Mode to Maximum Performance for both battery and plugged in.

Since we've done the above, both machines were able to connect to all wireless networks on all bands, none of the machines have dropped the wireless connection a single time nor did we have any ping, packet loss or performance issues after following the above steps anymore.

signex likes this.
  10. michael.konor

michael.konor Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm with you. Even in the most uncongested WiFi area here on your FOB, I had problems with the Killer. Luckily, I found a seller on here who I bought a Ultimate-N 6300 for $22.50 shipped. Just waiting on it to show up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.