Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Spartan, Mar 3, 2018.

1. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Yes, I agree - whenever I tried to use that Killer Suite my performance actually got worse until I uninstalled it and the whole idea does not make sense - most people just run a single game when playing online without trying to run a bunch of torrents in background. Maybe also a Discord for communicating with other friends while gaming, but it has 0 impact on gaming without any QoS adjustments or third-party software.

2. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    The 5 GHz amplifier is only on our adapters. Qualcomm did not use it on their adapters, so you will not see the amplified 5 GHz radio without the 1535. Both the 1435 and 1535 use the QCA6174A chip, so you could say that it is equivalent to the 1435.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

3. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    The Killer Control Center is not primarily a QoS application, though it can serve that purpose if necessary. The real functionality comes from the packet prioritization. Latency-sensitive applications and services are prioritized above other applications and services in your outgoing data stream, which results in the replies for those applications and services returning more quickly, causing a cumulative reduction in latency. As modern applications and Windows itself all communicate online nearly continuously, this prioritization can be very effective at reducing latency in games, streaming video, and web browsing.

4. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That’s pretty much QoS.

5. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Copy, thank you so much sir Anthony. :)

Killer_Networking likes this.
  6. Killer_Networking

Reputations:
    QoS does not prioritize packets. QoS only throttles low priority data when you near your bandwidth limit.

7. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    I still don't see a necessity for it, though. Like I said, many people just don't run anything else in background when playing games online, except some VoIP programs like Discord. And as far as I am aware Discord has its own way of prioritization of their own packets (so it's not necessary to use any third-party software to give it higher priority). Sure, Windows itself has some services which constantly communicate with Microsoft's servers, but other than seeing unexpected Windows Update notification - I have never noticed any negative impact on games or VoIP.

8. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @downloads or anyone wanna chime in. Pretty sure traffic shaping falls under QoS.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Spartan likes this.
  9. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Yeah I guess Killer Networking's Prioritization does not like Microsoft Activation servers as seen in numerous threads all over the internet of people not being able to activate Windows until they uninstalled the Killer Performance Suite:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/aeei34/new_m15_cant_activate_windows/

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...15-cannot-connect-to-microsoft-for-activation (Advanced stream detect? For God's sake!. read the first post)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/official-alienware-m15-owners-lounge.825553/watch-confirm

Jump to min 10:38 in this video

then see the same video and how he fixed it at min 52:

Killer Networking should seriously stop with this poor and buggy app that has caused nothing but issues since I have first come to know about the Killer Networking products (first poor experience was on my Alienware 18 with the Killer 1202 where the Killer Networking Suite caused a lot of BSODs)

Aivxtla likes this.
  10. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It looks like HID has a Killer 1535 available in their website. :) Hopefully they would be able to install it on the M17 without any complications.. Otherwise I might as well stick with the Qualcomm Card unless they say the Intel 9260 is a much better purchase..