Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Ultra Male, Mar 3, 2018.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    indeed! placing my machine with the 7265 directly next to the router gives me max. 450 Mbps throughput, thats a bit "lame" hahaha. and judging from reviews on notebookcheck both the 9260 amd 1550 would give around 600-700 Mbps, still not enough!

i know i know, first world problems... haha

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my tests with the 9260ac with the RAX80, bypassing the Ethernet limit by the use of a USB3.0 Samsung T5 SSD I git a steady 140 MB/s (1,120 Mbps) read rate that’s one floor below the router. The 1550 should be no different considering it’s the same exact card with the same drivers coming from Intel for both, if anything Intel uses the 1550 users to beta test newer driver revisions before appearing on Intel’s site.

If 2.5 Gbs Ethernet becomes more common on routers it would be nice. Down side to HT160 is greater chance for interference and reduced range so a 3 stream BCM 43602 Broadcom card is probably best such as the rebranded model known as the Dell 1830A, for 800-900 Mbps speeds on HT80.

I personally would not buy a first gen AX router as firstly we’d be guinea pigs as firmware takes a few months to be stabilized. Secondly current AX units are draft routers missing WPA3 and uplink MU-MiMO, best to wait for final revision AX/WiFi 6 routers coming later this year.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Aivxtla said "In my tests with the 9260ac with the RAX80"

Will the RAX80 get WPA3 support or is that only planned for the AX12?

Windows 10 Insider 19H1 builds will get WPA3 sometime around mid March but a capable device is still needed.

How's the theoretical Data Link speed?Do you get 1733.3 Mbps or close to it more with the RAX80 than with the R7800?

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Some background info:
    The RAX80 uses a newer gen Broadcom WiFi BCM43684 WiFi Chipset along with a 1.8Ghz BCM 49408 (ARM Cortex A53) CPU with hardware AES acceleration. The Cortex A53 clock for clock on paper is less powerful than the 1.7 GHz Cortex A15 in the R7800 (3.39 DMIPs/MHz) vs (2.3 DMIPs/MHz on the A53). However the BCM CPU has 2 more cores, has hardware AES acceleration for much better VPN performance (night and day difference) and storage performance on this router is also far better than the R7800.

Cost wise:
    Stick to the R7800 as WiFi performance is still excellent on it and the RAX80 is only worth it you want better VPN performance as it’s effectively an AC router since there are barely any ax clients out. This is an early draft ax router so it’s unknown if it will get proper WPA3 support. Lastly never buy any router so soon after release because not only are you overpaying but you will be paying to be a “beta” tester effectively till firmware is stabilized and bugs worked out. Best to stick to a year or so old router with mature firmware. The RAX120 will be a final draft router with hardware WPA3 support and uplink side MU-MIMO support. Even if you want that I’d wait at least 6 months to a year after release before buying it.

HT160 Performance:
    The RAX80 in my tests was a little better and I can hit 1,120 Mbps only because having a SSD (Samsung T5 1TB SSD in my case) connected directly to the router allows you to effectively bypass the 1Gbps Ethernet limit when doing file transfer tests. Internet and LAN side of things you will be limited to ~950 Mbps or so due to Ethernet.

Link rate on the 9260ac in my Dell 7577 showed 1.7-1.3 Gbps one floor below the router with real world transfer rates hitting 1,120 Mbps when reading from the router attached Samsung T5 SSD and uploads to it were a bit slower than that. The R7800 could probably do the same WiFi wise but it’s bottlenecked by USB storage performance so you would not notice such high WiFi transfer rates. Until 2.5 Gbps ports are more common HT160 won’t really help too much, plus HT160 can cause reduced range due to greater interference. My NAS has a 10Gb Eth port but none of the routers I’ve received for beta tests have had support for that with R9000 being the exception, but that was an overpriced unit for its features and very buggy.

Best client side option for good WiFi performance.
    If you really badly want the best WiFi performance then HT80 with a 3 stream/antenna Broadcom based card like the Dell 1830A (rebranded from a Broadcom BCM43602) seen in some Latitudes is probably the best option. Even MacBook Pros have better WiFi performance because of 3 stream BCM cards. Other option is wait for newer AX cards but a 2 stream ax card won’t be much faster than a 3 stream ac card, but will save you the need for an extra antenna cable for similar performance assuming you have an ax router.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    jaybee83, downloads and WhatsThePoint like this.
  5. sien916

sien916 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm curious, what kind of USB 3.0 storage are you using? I'm using a 9260 and R7800 and only get around 25-30 MB/s transferring to a Western Digital Easystore, no matter how close I am to the router.

I know it's a mechanical drive, but surely that's not the bottleneck. Any ideas on what it could be?

(Sorry for going a bit off topic here, was reading comparisons between the cards and this caught my eye!)

6. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    The R7800 doesn’t have the greatest USB 3.0 performance, only way you can hit 120 MB/s easily is on Ethernet connected storage like a NAS or another computer connected at the other end and with your laptop on WiFi being the test platform. That’s the other way to test WiFi performance. The 9260ac with HT160 enabled can hit 1120 Mbps (140 MB/s) as I showed in the post above.

The R7800’s WiFi capability is about just as good as the RAX80 but is limited by weak USB 3.0 and Ethernet max speed is theoretically 125 MB/s aka 1 GBs but after overhead etc 120 MB/s realworld, that’s you why you can’t truly take advantage of HT160 on it to the fullest.

You need a router 2.5 Gbps Ethernet routers or ones with fast storage capability to fully take advantage of HT160 on cards like the 9260ac.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  7. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    I got the highest transfer speeds sending an ISO file using a Samsung USB 3.1 T5 SSD attached to the R7800 router to Killer 1550 client Desktop with a 1TB Samsung 970 Pro SSD using Tera Copy.
    The Desktop was in line of sight 15' from the router.

Very good speeds were also achieved using a SanDisk Extreme Pro 256GB USB 3.1 flash drive attached to the router

8. sien916

sien916 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the info, appreciate it.

Are you transferring by adding a network location on Windows with Basic ReadySHARE address, FTP client, or some other avenue? Wondering if I'm hurting myself by the method in which I'm reading/writing to the drive.

From searching, I've also read that some have had better transfer speeds using the eSATA port instead of the USB 3.0 port. Rosewill has a 3.5" enclosure with eSATA out, might have to give it a try eventually.

9. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    A future project,maybe next week,is using an a USB 3.1 external enclosure that has a Samsung 970Pro NVMe SSD attached to the R7800 as it should be faster than the Samsung T5.

This weeks project has been monitoring the Killer 1550 temperature during various activities starting with the temp when WiFi and Bluetooth are turned off

10. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    That won’t achieve anything, the T5 already can easily hit over 350 MB/s which is over 2.5Gbps Eth limit and any 4x4 router’s WiFi capability... an NVMe drive is overkill even if you have one of the recent ax routers.