Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Phoenix, Mar 3, 2018.

1. UranusCEO

UranusCEO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Switch to Quad9 and see if it fixes your issue.
    Do check for latest router firmware and install it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  3. GMLP

GMLP Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New driver is out on 11/07.Wake from Sleep No Wifi is still there :(

4. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Forget 8.8.8.8 use 1.1.1.1

Vasudev likes this.
  5. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wow, I was getting reeled in by marketing of the fancy “Killer 1550 advertising pictures “ until I read this review lol.

I guess I will stick with my killer 1535 as well!

I also have Spectrum internet. After updating my Killer 1535 drivers, and tinkering with device manager settings it has been GLORIOUS! It never lets me down in BF1 servers.

It’s unfortunate killer has partnered with intel. But then again, who isn’t these days?

Phoenix likes this.
  6. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Don’t get riled by one person’s review. I mean as I mentioned before differences in laptops and APs can make a huge difference plus you can see quite a few threads on the 1535 itself with complaints usually more so than Intel, I myself replaced a few with Intel cards with free replacements from Dell. They (Qualcomm) did fix most of the issues eventually. Grass is not always greener on the other side. Also it’s not like Killer makes any cards or drivers, the 1535 is a Qualcomm QCA1674A rebrand. The only product Killer really makes is that suite... I also told OP in SNB Forums that the 1550 and 9260ac were the same card which he didn’t believe at the time.

My father for one works in a large medical device corporation where all if not most of the Precisions/Latitudes have cards ranging from the 7265 to the 8265 in over a thousand laptops and quite a few of these run mission critical stuff. So if Intel was terrible they wouldn’t be used so widely.

Honestly try it to see if it’s good in your environment (ie router/laptop) but if what you have now works just stick with it unless you need HT160, which is probably the best course, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Qualcomm usually makes the best WiFi/Cellular chips but it’s not always the case driver side.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 9:30 PM
    downloads likes this.
  7. tps3443

tps3443 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had issues with the Killer 1535 my self. Though, this is user/setup error usually. My issues were resolved by adjusting 1 setting.

You can have issues with any product, I bought a pair of extremely expensive Bluetooth headphones a few days ago, yet the audio sounded terrible in games. Turns out, a simple google fixed the problem. Disabling “ Bluetooth telephony” in services totally fixed the horrible audio.

So, an average user may knock those headphones for bad sound, or poor reception. But, I’m pretty sure the original poster @Phoenix knows what he’s doing.

I have nothing against the 1550, or 8260.. Intel
    Wants all the money, I totally understand. They are greedy, and even more so desperate lately! Lol..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 9:56 PM
    Phoenix likes this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Vasudev @downloads

I fixed the issue where the wireless wouldn't automatically connect upon startup, it wasn't enabling the WWAN Autoconfig service and WLAN Autoconfig as Vasudev suggested, nor was it the driver, it was O&O ShutUp10 that was causing this. This time, I formatted, disabled all the nasty stuff but via the Group Policy Editor rather than O&O Shutup10 and what d'ya know, WiFi auto connects every time now.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 6:16 PM
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I haven't this problem:eek:

Vasudev and Phoenix like this.
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Because you haven't a crappy Killer 1550 :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Vasudev, Grant B Gibson and Papusan like this.