Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Ultra Male, Mar 3, 2018.

1. nosauce

nosauce Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got HT160 to work! Thanks for the clarification, Anthony. The Wi-Fi status properties reads 1.4-1.7Gbps which is greater than the limits of the wired connection to my NAS. The NAS performance tester 1.7 gives 80MB/s write and 100MB/s read speeds. The tests on my wired connection on my other laptop gives a little over 100MB/s up and down, so the wireless speed to my NAS is close to a wired connection.

a little more detail on the directions that Anthony gives in post #210...
    The hack does not work on firmware V1.0.3.10 (you can't enable HT160, the checkbox is greyed out). You have to first update the firmware manually by downloading the V1.0.1.36 img file and uploading it to the router via advanced settings (administration --> firmware update; wired connection recommended). Follow the directions in post #210. Once you right click and hit "inspect" scripts will appear on the right with a line highlighted. Click on the arrow/carrot that's at the beginning of the line. Then right click on the disabled="disabled" line and click on edit attribute. Delete disabled="disabled" and hit enter. Select Europe and channel 48 and hit apply. The region will go back to being "North America" and greyed out but the settings will have been applied. Click on "advanced setup" --> wireless --> check the enable HT160 box at the bottom of the screen and hit apply.

downloads, jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  2. JeanLegi

JeanLegi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i got my 1550 and a 9260. At the moment the 9260 is more stable regarding the transfer rate.
    the 9260 fluctuate between 1,1Gbps and 1,7Gbps the 1550 between 866Mbps and 1,7Gbps.
    but i think the reason is the beta OS for my router.
    at the moment i can only wait till they offer a new beta OS.
    i sit 2m (6feet?) away from my router.

3. downloads

downloads Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @JeanLegi It's the same card so it can't be down to the router - if anything it's down to the drivers. The latest driver Phoenix posted here can be installed on Intel 9260 as well (it detects the card properly as it's in the inf file). That driver fixed the fluctuating speeds for me on 9260.

Aroc, Convel, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.
  4. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    thank you @downloads i read the complete threat but miss this post.
    but no change with the new driver still fluctuating between 866Mbps and 1,7Gbps but it is more stable with 1,5Gbps and i have now full signal quality.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  5. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Intel Wireless ProSet 20.50.0.4 WHQL is available for downloading on station-drivers

Being WHQL means it was tested by MS and sourced from one of MS partners.

I have it installed.

EDIT:this driver version is working well.

I've had a data speed of 1,733.30 Mbps for 11 straight minutes before a drop to 1,560 Mbps for several seconds before returning to 1,733.3 Mbps.My low point during 30 minutes monitoring with inSSIDer was a brief 1,400.0 Mbps

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    jaybee83 and JeanLegi like this.
  6. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Cool! Please shoot me an email at killersupport@rivetnetworks.com if you notice any problems with that hack. Although it's not something that I'm giving out in any official capacity, I still want to know if it causes problems.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Aroc, Vasudev and nosauce like this.
  7. m4gg0t

m4gg0t Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but im having a weird issue with the 1550 on my new P775TM1-G. If I close the screen and the laptop goes to sleep and reopen the screen to wake up the laptop wifi doesn't turn on again. Even if I try to manually switch it on in windows settings it doesn't turn on. Disable and enable the device doesn't work in network adapter settings. Restarting windows doesn't work either, only thing that works is a full shut down for 10 secs and switch on again it works, and as soon as I close the screen it happens again. o_O

8. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    you can try to remove the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" mark.
    you need to open the device manager and go to the network adapters and then open with the right mouse button the properties and go there to the power management tab.

Killer_Networking likes this.
  9. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you have the Killer Control Center running in the background?

The 1550 only works on Windows 10 x64 so I assume that's the OS you are using.

You can try updating your driver to the latest Intel WHQL version 20.50.0.4 if you haven't done it already.The driver is available on station-drivers and some other sites.

You can try a complete uninstall of the current Intel wi-fi driver/software you're using with an uninstaller program and then a clean install of the new driver.

Vasudev likes this.
  10. JeanLegi

Reputations:
    since a few days i have several disconnects per day with the 1550 card.
    any one else of you guys has the same experience?