Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Phoenix, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I am using the station driver that you posted just to test as much as I don't condone the usage of station drivers. Anyway, I've moved my router from the storage room and put it in the hallway, so it's only 10 feet away still but with only 1 door which is my room's wooden door between us. The link speed is fluctuating between 585Mbps down to 265Mbps then up to 650Mbps and so forth.

5 bars on the signal strength in the taskbar icon which goes down to 4 bars sometimes. I dunno what's up with this card it's so flaky :rolleyes:

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Also depending on where you live the upper channels may have much higher power limits than the lower channels. So look into that. Only down side with that is, to use HT160 you need the lower channels as I mentioned a while back the 80+80 split bonding is not supported in the 9260/1550 on upper channels as far as I know and additionally at HT160 range will be less so take that into account as well. HT80 on upper channels should net you more consistent speeds. Do file transfers and check as link rates alone can sometimes be meaningless.

3. davidcrian

davidcrian Newbie

Reputations:
    Seems like an improved card from the previous one. Will order one of these monsters!

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What thread have you been reading?

Phoenix, Vasudev and jaybee83 like this.
  5. davidcrian

davidcrian Newbie

Reputations:
    Oops, kinda just saw those marvelous download speed and upload speed and got excited so Killer 1535 it is

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Little update guys, so I moved the router out of the storage room as I mentioned earlier so it's now only 8 feet away from my computer and instead of being behind 2 wooden doors now it's only behind 1 door which is my room's door..... even with the latest driver from Station Drivers the link speeds keep fluctuating between 525MBPS and 170MBPS and yesterday it went down all the way to 7 MBPS! literally! My internet just crawled to death so I checked the link speed and it was 7MBPS.

sorry @Killer_Networking I will no longer put up with this or reinstall it on my laptop as it's a hassle to keep swapping out cards.

This Killer 1550 AKA Intel 9260 is the worst wireless card ever made in history. Period.

Aroc, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Those link speed looks really slow. I reckon throughput Boost technique was disabled.
    Anyway that's bad speed and continuous link speed fluctuations kill browsing experience completely.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    IMHO, a WLAN card should work good out of the box without needing to change settings. That's how all my previous cards worked anyway, with the Killer 1535, not once did I need to go to the advanced settings and change anything. This card does NOT, I repeat, does NOT deserve the Killer badge on it and Killer Networking shot themselves in the foot partnering with Intel. All Intel cards I've had before had inferior range compared to Killer cards, starting from the Intel 7260 to the Intel 8265 and now the worst of the worst....the 9260

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Oh my, so you didn't tweak Killer 1535 at all! I did tweak it for max range and speed. Now, it has become a routine for me. Also, I don't Clean install everytime like you do! So I understand your situation managed everything is tiresome and of course PITA!

WhatsThePoint and Phoenix like this.
  10. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The only other Killer card was like the 1535 and it’s lower sibling both based on the QCA6174/A. Seriously the 9260ac and 8265ac are great cards. I have actually replaced the very unstable 1535 that disconnected all the time and it was very picky about which router chipsets it “liked” in my sister’s XPS with the 8265 from my 7577 and no more issues then I got the 9260 for myself it has no issues either. Most of my father’s company’s (Medtronic) Dell Latitudes and Precisions use Intel cards ranging from the 7265 to 8265 in thousands of units and are pretty reliable in general.

It definitely sucks though that your experience was bad but there is something else going on as I posted speeds and the great range I was getting. I also think it could be having an issue with your router, the R9000 maybe the Atheros 10K firmware for that router is finicky. Try to see how it works with maybe another router you may have. If you went through 2 cards or maybe try Newegg rather than a reseller on Amazon.