Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Review

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Ultra Male, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So after a long wait, I was so excited to finally receive my Killer Wireless-AC 1550 and was even more excited to test it with the new 60GHz band on my Nighthawk X10 router

Well, I first installed the driver and immediately noticed that the device also says at the end of the Killer AC 1550 >>> 9260NGW....:rolleyes: I didn't have good feelings about this because when I tested the Intel 9260 Wireless Card, it had the worst signal ever! When I say signal, I mean the range sucks.

[​IMG]

I live in a 2 story house. My room is located only 8 feet away from my router but the router is in a little storage room which has a wooden door, then you have my room's wooden door so that makes 2 doors

but still, I have one of the best routers out there (Nighthawk X10) so 8 feet away should be a problem

I installed the latest driver which is Killer Wireless-AC 1550 Driver v20.30.1.2 (at the time of writing this) and the Killer AC 1550 Bluetooth Driver v20.30.0.3

I have turned on the SmartConnect feature on my router which automatically chooses the best band, with the Killer AC1535, even with SmartConnect, I would always be connected to the 5GHz band @866MBPS.

Now with the Killer AC1550, with SmartConnecct, this is what I got:

[​IMG]

I then went into my router and disabled SmartConnect to get 3 separate bands, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, and 60 GHz

My Killer AC 1550 couldn't even see the 60GHz network, I know that it doesn't penetrate walls so that probably is the reason.

I manually connected to the 5 GHz network but it didn't connect with the full speed @866 MBPS like it did with the Killer AC1535, it keeps fluctuating between 173 MBPS, to 234 MBPS, to 390 MBPS back and forth.

[​IMG]

Whatever happened to the awesome Killer Beam Forming and awesome range? It's gone! This card gentlemen is not a REAL Killer card, it's just a rebadged Intel 9260 with the Killer name on it as we saw in device Manager. Even the Bluetooth Driver is from Intel and the WLAN Driver is the same version as the latest one from Intel but who cares about all that, if your router is located behind doors, walls, different stories, it's best to stick with the Killer AC1535 for the best range,

To be fair though, my internet speeds remained unaffected, probably because my download speed is 100MBPS and upload is 20MBPS so any theoretical speed that I was complaining about won't affect me. Still, if I want to transfer files or stream over the network then it would matter

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Oh and before anyone asks, I did also try setting the roaming aggressiveness to low and the transmit power to High and Optimized Throughput = Enabled, Made 0 difference with the range / connection speed.

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Despite the lower range and lower connection speed to my router, I am experiencing snappier web browsing with 0 lag and my VPN is actually working faster with this Intel card.

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Give this mess A BIG Thanks to.... Rivet Networks’ new partnership with Intel.
    [​IMG]

Aroc, Ashtrix, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  5. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Screenshot - 3_4_2018 , 2_15_13 PM.jpg The only things I can suggest is trying different channels and turning off Bluetooth if you don't need it.

I have 100 Mbps Internet service from Spectrum and get download speeds between 105 Mbps and 118 Mbps at various times.

The 3 1/2 year old MSI GS60 is in line of sight and 15' from the R7800 router

My Desktop PC with Killer 1550 is 30' from the R7800 and one wall between it and the R7800.It gets similar download speeds as the GS60 but shows an average of 702 Mbps Data Rate in inSSIDer.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I tried different channels, didn't change a thing. Also, I am not complaining about my internet speed, my internet speed is only 100MBPS so whatever speed my Wireless card I am connecting to is fine and is not limiting my internet speed, what I am not happy about is the max theoretical speed that it's connecting at where the Killer AC 1535 used to connect at the full 866 MBPSs speed and this one doesn't even reach quarter of that speed. So if I were to transfer large files over the network, the performance would be horrid.

I knew this card was made with collaboration with Intel which gave me some doubts but what I didn't know is that it's the exact same Intel 9260 Card just rebranded to say Killer :rolleyes: I already had bought the Intel 9260 last month and quickly uninstalled it within 30 minutes of testing it due to how bad the range was, only to realize that I just bought the same card again :rolleyes:

@Killer_Networking Very disappointed!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    I have a question for @Killer_Networking... Why would / wanted Rivet Networks have a partnership with Intel in first place? Due money, afraid being left behind by Intel or you had problems fix a new wireless networking adapter on your own? Thanks

Aroc, Ashtrix, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So I was just surfing the net and I suddenly noticed my internet speed was super slow, websites were loading in slow motion. All of 'em.........so I quickly checked my connection speed and look what I found:

[​IMG]

I am removing this piece of crap card and going back to my trusty Killer AC 1535 FTW

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Is there only one driver for this card? None older you can test?

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  10. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What was the pings like as it stands now it would seem that the issues with the killer 1550 is the same i had with 7260AC from Intel guess I will be sticking to my 1535.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

Aroc, Vasudev, Papusan and 1 other person like this.